Ocarina Of Time Began Life As A Remake Of Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link

Posted by Damien McFerran

With a focus on samurai swordplay, no less

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is arguably one of the best entries in the entire series, but it might surprise you to learn that it has its origins in a remake of one of the franchise's least popular instalments: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

Nintendo worked on bringing the game to the Super NES via the power of the Super FX chip — the same tech that powered Star Fox — and it apparently had a particular emphasis on swordplay inspired by "chanbara" — a Japanese name for the cinematic samurai sword fighting seen in movies.

While that project seemingly didn't get beyond the prototype stage, it would go on to influence the development of Ocarina of Time on the N64, which would retain the focus on sword fighting. You can find out more about this — and plenty of other Zelda trivia — but watching the excellent video below.

[via destructoid.com]

Related Games

Artwark

Artwark said:

Nice. Never understood why a lot of people hate this game. Its first of all an old game and secondly, it was 3D so why is it that its difficult to get used to that sort of thing?

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Not gonna lie...I would've taken this game on SNES over the N64 version of OoT anytime:|

I never got to play Ocarina till ~2006, so this might be one reason for this, but I honestly think it (again..on N64, I didn't get to play the remake yet) is one of - if not the- worst 3D Zeldas and I actually really like Zelda 2, BECAUSE it is so different and difficult

Nintendzoey

Nintendzoey said:

I had Zelda II on the NES when I was a kid (we got it as a Christmas present one year). I remember my brother and I had no idea what you were even supposed to do in the game (at the time).

tysonfury

tysonfury said:

I think the people who hate Ocarina (I can't believe I just typed that sentence, but they exist..) are those who didn't play it when it first came out in 1998. At the time it was groundbreaking, in fact earth shattering (you can play an ocarina?? with buttons!?) but it has of course been surpassed by its 3D sequels..

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

Zelda II is a classic. Playing it was an addiction. Its challenge was so attractive and the 3DS' save state feature vanquished most of the headaches. (I was so immersed that sometimes I would forget the feature even existed. haha)

I don't understand the hate. Then again, I love what others hate. :)

rbmoura85

rbmoura85 said:

@Tsurii897 what you are saying is very unfair. Its very well know how hard it was to make that game and how important it was tothe development of 3d gaming in general.

bonham2

bonham2 said:

He doesn't hate it. He said it's his least favorite. I absolutely love Zelda 2. Obviously it doesn't feel like any other Zelda game, but if you stripped away the Zelda title, it would be considered one of the best NES games ever made.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Didn't know about the sound trivia stuff. Nintendo is really good at hiding things which become obvious when slowed down/sped up (Gamecube menu =FDS, Mario end stage=Mario Power up). Won't be able to unhear hear slightly Engerish Minda now though.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

You know what's funny... if you read through the old Nintendo Power magazines from when AoL came out, it's obvious that gamers absolutely LOVED the game. It was very highly esteemed, with many people declaring it a much better game than LoZ. Over the years, however, it has received increasing hate as more and more gamers have gone soft.

Link506

Link506 said:

@tysonfury I take some offence from that statement. I was born after the realease of the ocarina of time and I don't hate it, I love it! I have the original on VC, and when Ocarina of Time 3D came out, I bought that on day one too.
While I could believe some people may hate it because of that, it doesn't go for all the people who didn't play Ocarina when it was released.

Nicolai

Nicolai said:

No wonder Nintendo's obsessed with remakes. They've been remaking things all along! They just keep changing their minds and creating new iterations out of their remake work, until recently. I hope that happens the next time they try to remake something.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@Artwark most people that hate it never played the original and played it after a bunch of the others ones. Most of the time their argument is that it is too different from the others when they tend to forget, when this one was made, there was only one Zelda game before it.

xj0462

xj0462 said:

thank god it actually turned out to be a good game instead of a poor remake of a poor game

BearClaus

BearClaus said:

Saying Zelda II is one of the least popular Zelda games is like saying Super Mario Sunshine is one of the least popular Mario games. Each was one of the most popular games on its system, and each belongs to one of the most popular series out there.

@tysonfury #5 You could play an ocarina with buttons back in 1992. Want your earth to be shattered by the original button-controlled ocarina? Play Wonder Boy in Monster World and witness the amazement. ;)

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

That fact that it wasn't overhead and Link was jumping and engaging in sword battles did make me look at OoT as 3D AoL back then.

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

Timely article as I just finished my play through of Zelda 2 last night. After 20+ years I'd forgot how tough it gets toward the end. I can see why it hasn't aged well to some as it deviates from what is currently the formula.

I never played original ocarina, only the 3ds version but I can tell why it is held in high esteem. Looking forward to the MM remake that has been teased forever now it seems.

KLZ

KLZ said:

Since I first played Zelda II a few years ago, I've wanted a 3D Zelda where you could jump and stab enemies in the face. It is very satisfactory.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I once saw a tiny screenshot of a SNES Zelda sequel that played like Zelda II. They scrapped it and made LttP instead. Too bad SNES didn't get both because it was an awesome system and only had one Zelda game.

Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 said:

@Artwark I don't recall ever hating this game, though it was very difficult to finish the first time (Water Temple, anyone?). By contrast, "Majora's Mask" infuriates me, because of the constant time-travel gimmick.

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

I still want to see a Zelda II remake on Wii U. And it either needs to look like Tales on GCN or ultra realistic like the Zelda HD demo.