eShop Funds Now Buyable or Giftable via PayPal in UK

Posted by Karen Halloran

No plastic? No problem!

Update:

This payment option is also available via the German PayPal site; thanks to those that highlighted this in the comments section.

Original article:

Digital downloads just got more convenient for UK gamers now that PayPal has been added as a payment option for the Nintendo eShop. PayPal accounts can now be used to purchase or send as gifts eShop Fund codes in the usual amounts of £15, £25, and £50.

The eShop Fund codes purchased through the UK PayPal site are restricted to European game systems, and you'll still end up buying far more credit than needed to close that mocking £.10 gap in your balance separating you from that hot new release, but at least now you won't have to run off to the shops to do so.

Has your birthday/anniversary etc. shopping been revolutionized, or are you still hard copy only? Did you just get back from the shops? Do comment!

[via twitter.com]

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Another step in the right direction! Now let us buy digital games directly through a website :)

Kyoto

Kyoto said:

Why not integrate it in the eShop itself, like Sony does with its Entertainment Network? Doesn't seem like a lot of work and is way more convenient..

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Let me guess..that's only for the UK and everyone else in Europe (and Australia) won't be able to do that? Awesome.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Nice. That's a good ztep, though I hope we'll eventually be able to charge our eShop balance directly.

@Kyoto Mostly because PayPal isn't safe. It's been hacked numerous times before, and would be a major vulnerability to the eShop's security.
Nintendo would also need to pay royalties to PayPal so they can integrate the service in the first place.

Johnfrost20

Johnfrost20 said:

I needed to buy eshop cards online because they are not avaible in my country and i searched untill i found this website:
Www.gamesrocket.com
Www.gamesrocket.co.uk
It sells Both download codes and eshop cards for Both Pal and Ntsc consoles.
The verification is a little odd though.
Hope I helped!

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

Screw Paypal... Waiting for them to accept the major cryptocurrencies in U.S. Just need to get the stupid IRS ruling of cryptocurrencies are property and not currency overturned to avoid all the dumb capital gains tax rules.

Nintendzoey

Nintendzoey said:

I really hope that you can do this soon in Australia. PayPal is always my preferred way to pay. Getting the eShop cards are a hassle for me though, I have to go out of my way to get one.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Cool. Not a big fan of PayPal... but sometimes get stuck with payments there. Always nice to have more ways to spend it.

machomuu

machomuu said:

I really hope this comes to the US, it's great that this is finally happening.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

I tend to have PayPal cash since I use it for online stuff, so it'd be nice if this came to the US, as others have said. D:

SyntheticPerson

SyntheticPerson said:

If I buy from the german shop, will it work on a spanish console? I assume it will as they are both in euros?