Chocobo Racing 3D Was Canned Because Square Enix Wasn't Happy With The Quality

Posted by Damien McFerran

Spitting feathers

Remember Chocobo Racing 3D? It was announced for the 3DS some time ago, but Square Enix has shown nothing of the game for months, and last year Takashi Tokita — the creator of the original Chocobo Racing for the PlayStation — said that the project had been closed.

We now have further confirmation of this fact from Square Enix. The project has indeed been cancelled, with Square Enix’s Shinji Hashimoto stating that it did not meet the company's standards:

When we checked the quality of the game, we did not satisfy. (so it was cancelled.) If we would develop it for console, we think it should be a game for adults.(The target of Chocobo series is children.)

The last part of that admittedly roughly translated statement is somewhat puzzling, as Chocobo Racing is the perfect fit for the young audience of the 3DS — and turning the franchise into something which appeals to adults sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Mario Kart 8 has proven that games with child-friendly presentation can appeal to players of all ages, after all.

Were you hoping that Chocobo Racing 3D would see the light of day at some point, or had you given up hope completely? Perhaps you didn't think it looked all that hot in the first place? You know what to do — post a comment and tell us what you think.

[via nintendoeverything.com]

lividd3ad

lividd3ad said:

What I gather from that is that it didn't work so well on a handheld, but they didn't think it would sell on consoles.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I don't think much to Square Enix's opinion of quality. (Especially considering what they chose to localise ahead of Dragon Quest VII 3D).

DanteSolablood

DanteSolablood said:

@unrandomsam You don't think much of Square Enix's opinion of quality? Could be worse... Nintendo demanded they cut Final Fantasy 7 in half to fit on a smaller cartridge back in the 90's.

I think I trust Square's judgement more that Nintendos.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Not that the game couldn't have found a small audience, but in terms of market opportunity my guess is that they looked at the appeal and technical marvel of Mario Kart 7, both in terms of graphics (60fps/3D) and online play and said "we can't compete with this".

Mahe

Mahe said:

I'd still like to see a new Chocobo Racing! And what's this ridiculous thing about making it more "adult-like" for a home console? The original was on PlayStation!

MamaLuigi

MamaLuigi said:

Square Enix should steer clear of making yet another bland mascot kart racer and focus on something they're actually good at for a change. :/

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

I totally forgot about this game. Just like with Chocobo Dungeon and Chocobo Tales, it's a game I'm willing to play but not desperate for it.

DinoFett

DinoFett said:

I like the Chocobo stand alone games, This should have been released.
Get back to work! Square Enix!

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

Sigh....Square used to be a full on quality gaming and no bull**** company. I miss the 90s.

I would totally buy this game just for the Chocobo soundtrack alone! Fond memories.

8BitSamurai

8BitSamurai said:

If the Lightning Saga was up to their standards, then I truly doubt that humanity was ready to have this game unleashed.

BoobooMama

BoobooMama said:

I am disappoint. I played the **** out of the original as a kid, would love for it to come back.

JustinH

JustinH said:

Consoles are for adults and the 3DS is for children?

I enjoyed the original so this is depressing news indeed.

SammytheSaiyan

SammytheSaiyan said:

@JustinH Yeah, that remark was quite controversial. The belief that the 3DS is meant for children only is quite preposterous and even offsetting.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@JustinH @SuperSammy64
No, thats not what they're saying. They mean the cartoony style and gameplay of the chocobo series of games is meant for children, and they want something more "suitable for adults" for a home console release.

Its more to do with a game like that being seen as too "immature" for adults than what platform its on. They'd probably go for something more like the modern Final Fantasies.

Nomad

Nomad said:

This was on my 'to get list' along with Kid Icarus and OoT when the 3DS was first announced. It looked like it would have been a lot of fun.I did enjoy Chocobo Racing at the Golden Saucer.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Square Enix sucks and doesn't know how to make good games anymore. Back when Squaresoft was still its own company, games like Chocobo Racing, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Vagrant Story, etc., were fresh and awesome, nowadays you either see them milk Final Fantasy to death or just make western games to win the Call of Duty crowd. If anything they should had just give the game to Brownie Browns (a Nintendo second party studio), some of the original team who work on Chocobo Racing are now a part of Brownie Browns.