3D OutRun Given a Release Date and Details for Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

We want it yesterday

The 3D series of classics from Sega were, in the Nintendo Life office at least, among the highlights on the 3DS late last year. With a mix of arcade and Mega Drive / Genesis games getting the impressive remastering treatment from M2, it was pleasing that Sega had made the investment to localise that first run outside of Japan.

The second batch is already well underway in the company's homeland, however, and the latest confirmed title has made us borderline desperate for the second series of releases to be confirmed for the West. We previously reported that 3D OutRun had been announced, but now we have a release date and details on some of the title's enhancements. To start with the most important news, it arrives on the Japanese eShop on 23rd April for 762 yen (excluding tax).

Like previous '3D Classics' in this range, a number of neat enhancements have been made. These include:

• The option to save at any point and resume later on
  • Circle Pad, D-pad or touch controls
  • A choice of the Japanese or 'Overseas' version, with different course placements between them
  • Multiple screen size settings, including a moving arcade cabinet style as seen in previous releases such as 3D Super Hang-On
  • A host of audio options, and two brand new songs composed by Manabu Namiki and Jane-Evelyn Nisperos

Plenty to look forward to. Short of making us all buy Japanese 3DS systems, we're left hoping for news of localisation from Sega. Would you be excited about playing this one?

[via archives.sega.jp]

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

i used to like this game but i dont know if i'll be getting it. what i really want so, so bad is fantasy zone! i cant wait for a release date for that.

retro72

retro72 said:

I know I'm getting on in years.....
But this is more than 'nostalgia'.....
3D Outrun is gaming 'nirvana' !!!!!

Medication please nurse :-D :-D

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

Is it the original Testarossa, or will be the modified car (like in Shenmue)?

flojomojo

flojomojo said:

Very excited for this. I wish they hadn't pooched the release of Outrun 2006 (no US PS3 version, pulled Steam version, no digital PSP release) but M2 Outrun on 3DS could redeem them. Given the pattern of the last batch, maybe the west will see an autumn release?

Spanish_Bread

Spanish_Bread said:

does it clearly state about the gyro feature (not just the moving cabinet) as seen 3D Super Hang on?

sainrub

sainrub said:

Waiting for these Sega 3D Classics to go on sale. Have Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, Altered Beast and Sonic. I want them all frankly, love it!

Passing Breeze 2014!

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

An arcade version enhanced aswell of Outrun im definately up for this, i keep waiting for the rest of the 3D classics series to appear on discount so i can grab them all.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

I was excited for this already, but the inclusion of a new Manabu Namiki song should make this pretty epic. Can't wait to see it stateside.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I so want this. I love their version of Super Hang On, so I hope Sega decides to localize this second batch and do it soon.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@sainrub I have 6 out of the 8 (All the Arcade ones). I am more bothered about getting the next batch than getting a discount. The NES games are the ones that are a rip off.

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

I'd LOVE to have this game. RAD MOBILE even more so. Wish they had rights to do Primal Rage like this.

sainrub

sainrub said:

@unrandomsam

I would not fret about if these are coming to the west, it's more of a matter of when. I also happen to love the Nes 3D Classics as well including Urban Champion. Course that one only cost me Club Coinage. :D

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

Despite my aversion to actual driving, I've always loved this game... I chalk it up to the music and atmosphere. With the robust selection of options, this sounds like it's shaping up to be one grand conversion... all modern ports should be like this.

Namiki and Nisperos have impressive bodies of work, but nevertheless, composing tunes that stand beside OutRun's original soundtrack seems like a monumental undertaking. I look forward to it.

joey302

joey302 said:

In my top 10 ALL TIME favorites!!!! Sega get on the wii u eshop please????

Windy

Windy said:

@KnightRider666 I'm already foaming at the mouth.....lol Thank you sega for saving the 3d Classics and doing it right. I'm mad at ya Nintendo for pretty much abandoning the 3D Classics. you should be thanking Sega too.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Is that screen shot from the 3DS version? I Guessed right if so, they went with an alternative car sprite, no prancing horse or potential issue with a Ferrari license.
Not that it matters for gameplay, and Ill be getting this as soon as released, but the Saturn remains the most acurate arcade port!