Kiki's Koi Koi Is Coming To The Wii U eShop

Posted by Lewis Childs

Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

This year will mark the 125th anniversary of Nintendo as a company and its humble beginnings as a Hanafuda card maker. It seems fitting then that developer How Seven! – previously known as Cobalt Ceiling Games – has recently announced that it’ll be bringing Kiki’s Koi Koi to the Wii U’s eShop. The title, which was originally released in 2011 on iOS devices, is based on Japan’s popular Hanafuda card game Koi-Koi.

From the developer:

We’ve been mentioning it here and there, but it’s time to finally announce it for real: Kiki’s Koi-Koi is heading to the Wii U eShop. Launching later this year, Kiki will be bringing her trademark charm to living rooms everywhere. For new players, she’ll walk you through this easy-to-learn game and have you playing like the pros in no time. For the Kiki fans out there already, you’ll get the smooth experience you’ve come to know… but now, on the big screen.

How Seven! has confirmed that the Wii U version of Kiki’s Koi-Koi is set to feature “a fresh coat of paint” as well as brand new play modes, with more details to be shared in the coming weeks.

Below is the trailer for the iOS version of the game:

Are you interested in picking up Kiki’s Koi Koi later this year, or are you already hooked on the original? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via howseven.com]

Boxmonkey

Boxmonkey said:

Is this really what it's come too? I paid £350 for a wii u and this is the type of news I find. I've never been so disheartened by nintendo in 25 years. I feel sad that I'm moving on to sony. :(

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox said:

I'd be all over this if it were on the 3DS. Koi-koi was my favorite game in the Clubhouse Games (42 All-time Classics) collection for the DS.

I hope they can consider bringing this game to the 3DS eShop in the future.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

@Boxmonkey So because this 1 game exists on Nintendo consoles, we should completely forget Smash Bros, Mario Kart, X, Bayonetta, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Mario 3D World, and all the other fantastic titles?

Boxmonkey

Boxmonkey said:

Troll :D don't make me laugh! My nintendo network id is boxmonkey and you will are I've owned a wii u from day one in the uk! Same as I've owned every nintendo console from day one for over 20 years. I'm pissed of with what's going on at nintendo, sorry if that upsets some people.

47drift

47drift said:

Will it be online? I enjoy Hanafuda but rarely have friends around to play it with, so it would be nice to be able to play it with others online.

HylianJowiStaff

HylianJowi said:

@Boxmonkey I find it pretty disheartening that the existence of an indie game would be your catalyst for a full indictment of Nintendo's game selection. I understand--news has been slow--but why must you "move on" to Sony? Do you have to offer your exclusivity to one hardware manufacturer?

Boxmonkey

Boxmonkey said:

Yes! I've been loyal to nintendo and after zelda u I will move on. I'm not buying multiple consoles

HylianJowiStaff

HylianJowi said:

@Boxmonkey Somehow I just see this as succumbing to the Internet sensationalism surrounding these truly unimportant "console wars," but to each their own. I love both Nintendo and Sony and see no reason to drop one in favor of the other.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

@Boxmonkey Why not have multiple consoles? I understand if you have financial problems with that, but if you could afford it I think it's the best way to enjoy all the games you want. Plus, if you don't you'll miss all of Nintendo's handmade, tender, love in a box, also known as their games.

I think you're overreacting, anyway. So many good games have come to and are on the way for Ninty's shiny new console (don't forget it takes time for a console to get its feet off the ground in terms of games, some longer than others), and you drop the straw on Nintendo after an announcement for an indie game you're not interested in?
Maybe you're just not interested in the types of games Nintendo offers anymore, and I can't argue with that, people change tastes. But the fact that you say "OMG I'm switching to Sony" over this little piece of news bewilders me.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Some games on many platforms cause me to laugh at their mere existence rather than be disgusted by them. The recent news of games like Parking Star and now this are funny due to how lame they look or sound on paper.

But I know that if these announcements that make me say "who would want this?" The quality games likely coming to Wii U and 3DS in the near future keeps me on my toes.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

i for one love koi koi ever since i got the mario hanafuda card set from club nintendo. might get provided its less than $5

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I've got a Hanafuda card set from Club Nintendo but haven't actually used it yet for a game. May pick this game up to turn me into a Koi Koi pro if I ever do manage to get a chance to use the Hanafuda card set.

AVahne

AVahne said:

I have 2 decks of hanafuda cards including the Club Nintendo Mario one, but I no longer have any people to play with. Guess I'll consider this if it has online play.

UGXwolf

UGXwolf said:

Personally, I've been wanting to learn how to play Koi Koi for a long time. I think this would be a cool thing to get later, when I feel like actually learning.

World

World said:

Koi Koi (not attached to other games) in North America....

One step closer to Mahjong...am I right?!

Jampie

Jampie said:

I've never played with hanafuda cards before, but I've always been interested. Maybe will give this a shot depending on price and what not. :o

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I'm totally down for this. Now if Koei-Tecmo would please localise a Mahjong Taikai game for download that would be heavenly! Oh and don't forget nikaku dori - though I have one of those for iOS already.

ToniK

ToniK said:

I kinda dig the art style but card games on screen is just not right.

millarrp

millarrp said:

I will probably get this. I kind of regret not getting the physical one from club Nintendo if I'm lucky it might come on there again