Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl Comes Questing To Europe On May 2nd

Posted by Damien McFerran

Epic adventures lie ahead

We already knew that Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl was bound for Europe at some point this year, and yesterday's Nintendo Direct broadcast has finally given us a solid date: May 2nd.

The game launched in North America last year, and gained a glowing review from us. "Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl is not only a great example of how to remake a classic, it's also a fantastic game in its own right," is what we said in our 9/10 review. "If an atmospheric mix of cartography, character customization, deep combat, and exploration sounds at all up your alley, Untold is a story well worth telling."

Will you be snapping this up when it launches? Let us know with a comment.

pepsiplunge

pepsiplunge said:

I loved EO4 and I'll definitely be getting this but I'm always disappointed at the lack of news about smt4.
Even a "yes it's still coming" would be nice.

Quirky

Quirky said:

I loved the first couple of EOs on the DS, but couldn't get on with EO3 or EO4 - the external maps made it less focused I think. On EO4 the edge-teleport trick made it frustrating to create a nice map, and I stopped playing after getting to about floor 3 of the 2nd main dungeon. This game's an enhancement of the original EO, so hopefully it'll be more back-to-basics.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Which game is easier for a newcomer, this one or EOIV? I am curious to try one and the latter is discounted in the eShop. Thanks in advance.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@sinalefa I don't think you can go wrong with either really. Untold might be slightly better but EO4 has an over world and is more opened up because of that. You can dl a demo of EO4 and see for yourself. Plus it will all transfer over to the main copy so you won't lose anything!

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Wonder if the eventual demo will be 3 uses (NISA feel that is plenty in contrast to ATLUS who offer the maximum of 30). Then again the demo is story mode so is less replayable than the demo of IV.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

I kind of just assumed this game was released over there already. What's with Atlus ignoring Europe with their 3DS rpgs?

RennanNT

RennanNT said:

@sinalefa Either are good, but I highly recommend EOIV for newcomers, because the skill system is much more friendly, as:
1 - There's much less skills at the beginning, and the proficiency makes clear what are their speciality.
2 - At level 20 you unlock more skills, and so you are actually stimulated to reset your skill points at level 22 (you lose 2 levels by doing so) to put them at new skills, thus you are stimulated to test the different skills and understand the class/game better and do a better distribution by lv20. (In EOU, you just feel punished for doing the wrong choice at the beginning by losing 2 levels)

@Quirky Besides the 2nd stratum, there's only one other stratum floor (5th's first) with the edge-teleport. So you are almost done with it.

As for the map, I solved the problem using numbers to pair the map-teleports.

MetalKingShield

MetalKingShield said:

I completely agree with @Quirky. Etrian Odyssey I and II are great, but the overworlds make III and IV unfocused. Don't get me wrong, there's not an Etrian Odyssey game I dislike, but with I and II, you get that feeling of going through one huge labyrinth, and don't have to divert your attention between it and the overworld.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@MAN1AC 3DS? Its goes on for a long time before that and covers most of ATLUS USA library. Publishers in Europe sometimes pick up games is all there is to it really. NOE published Etrian Odyssey 1 and Trauma Centre for instance but we never saw Trauma Centre 2, Trauma Team or Etrian 2 and 3.

Conception 2 (did I get the name right) is interesting however as ATLUS USA will be doing a digital release in Europe not too long after the American release so maybe things are changing. Or maybe Conception 2 is so unappealing no publisher wanted it.

NImH

NImH said:

Millennium Girl is my first EO title, and I had to comment just to say how great it is. I've been wondering why more people weren't playing it here on Nlife, and I've only just realized it wasn't out in Europe yet.
I've never really been into dungeon-crawlers before, but I do love The Millennium Girl.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@MetalKingShield EO3 Didn't have an overworld. You're thinking of the optional sailing. I did spend way to much time doing that though thus i never finished the game.

I disagree though as i thought the overworld opened up a lot more options and didn't feel quite so stuffy. EO4 Is the best in the series imho!

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

I don't get it, where the heck is SMT IV?
We keep on getting EOs, which is fine, but still...
Is it ever going to come to the old world?

-Crystalline-

-Crystalline- said:

I thought this was an RPG? Looks more like some sort of visual novel, to be honest. Where's the top-down view? Where's your character roaming through the overworld? On, and one more thing: devs need to keep their original dubs into the game. English dubs rarely ever work, and it's the case with this one.

What happened to RPGs? What happened to being immersed in a world with characters that we can care about, suffer with, and live the thrill of adventure with? What happened to all of that?

The Golden Sun games back in the GBA are still my favorite, hands down. Would be nice to come across a title that's equally good, though.

MetalKingShield

MetalKingShield said:

@-Crystalline- I understand what you're saying, but the Etrian Odyssey series is extremely immersive and atmospheric, with some of the best, most subtle storytelling. 2nd only to Dragon Quest, in my opinion.

@Spoony_Tech - Whether you call it a map or an overworld, it still diverted attention away from the main gameplay. In Etrian Odyssey I and II, you powered up/down through the labyrinth, knowing you could encounter every monster and get every drop as you went. With Etrian Odyssey III and IV, it's very easy for the player to become unsure whether he/she should explore the external maps (and get the drops) or continue with the main game.

But yes, much of IV is series-best material, such as the audio quality and the skill trees.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@-Crystalline- Lol, this is far from a visual novel. Not even close really. It's a dungeon crawling hardcore rpg. It will challenge you to your wits end to try and figure out which combination you need to defeat a certain boss. Rpgs haven't gone anywhere they've gotten better imo! Tons of greats ones on the 3ds alone!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Never really got into this series. To be honest, I'd never really heard of it until I joined NLife. The DS games never came out in Europe, and it's a bit off-putting when the first release of a series is called Etrian Odyssey IV. I'll probably give this one a shot however.

Edit: :o Apparently EO did come out in Europe. Huh. Must have just missed it, as I still don't remember any mention of it until coming on here.

-Crystalline-

-Crystalline- said:

@Spoony_Tech Alright, but where's the dungeon crawling? Not once did we see actual walking around the game's overworld or anything of the sorts. All you get are dialogue windows with the game's character images on the sides. I searched for gameplay videos of it on YT, but it's also the same thing.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Peach64 Not quite sure what you mean but EO4 is the forth game in the series. Just dl the demo of it and give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose. If you like it all your data transfers over to the main game. It's the first part of the actual game.

@Crystalline Just dl the demo and see for yourself. Trust me rpg were like this before the more story based ones ever came out. These are more like the begining or rpgs with all the modern touches

crimsontadpoles

crimsontadpoles said:

I rather enjoyed EOIV, so i'll probably pick this up once it's released.

Hopefully, we will get more SMT4 news before too long.

f_zul

f_zul said:

Maybe it's a bit harsh thing to say, but I refuse to give any money to Atlus until they release SMT4 for Europe region.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Haha, keeping up with the usual Atlus release dates. Again coming 6-7 months later to Europe.

SMT4 is next month six months after the North American release so if they keep up with the usual release schedule it should arrive in March or April to Europe...