Rhythm Fighting Game KickBeat Gets Rated For Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Blood on the dancefloor

A German rating for the Zen Studios "experimental rhythm game" KickBeat suggests that the downloadable PS3 and PS Vita title is headed to the Wii U eShop.

This unique brawler combines music with combat action, and boasts a soundtrack packed with songs by artists such as Pendulum, Marilyn Manson, Celldweller, Blue Stahli, Voicians and Shen Yi.

Zen has previously been quite a staunch supporter of Nintendo's eShop service, having released the likes of CastleStorm and Zen Pinball 2 in the past. When pressed by Joystiq on the German rating, a Zen spokesperson said:

Leave it to the ratings boards to spoil our surprises! I cannot officially confirm or deny that KickBeat will come to the Wii U, but Zen loves to have all games on all platforms so people can enjoy our games regardless of the device they choose to play on.

When our sister site Push Square reviewed the game on the Vita last year, the verdict was a positive one. "KickBeat is definitely on rhythm, and will consume hours of your time with its beat-matching brawling as a consequence," is what was said. One to look forward to, then? Or are you not interested? Share your thoughts with a comment below.

[via joystiq.com, usk.de]

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I was watching Electric Playground a over a year and this game stood out to me. It looked like a great. It also might be that it merges 2 awesome genres together into something crazy. Plus I saw it was made by Zen.
I'll be picking this one up.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

Castlestorm is fantastic; Zen Pinball is great. I have a lot of faith in Zen!

swampertdude

swampertdude said:

Hmm, "A groovy beatdown"? I just think blood on the dance floor carries kind of a bad reputation with it

Emblem

Emblem said:

I'll be picking this up for sure, I tried it out awhile ago and It was quite fun. I wonder if any new or wii u specific features will be added.

Laxeybobby

Laxeybobby said:

I'd be interested to see how this works as surely it is just a rhythm game with a beat-em-up skin. What I mean is what makes fighting games unique is the player choice of kick, punches, combo's and special moves to defeat adversaries and every player will do this in their own particular way.
If this is a rhythm game and all you have to do like most rhythm games is push up, push down, push left, push right on analogue stick when the game tells you so on the screen and as a result of doing this the character kicks or punches an adversary where is that fighting game element?
Maybe im missing something?

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Playing Rhythm Theif at the moment which I am enjoying immensely so will keep an eye on this.

Rafie

Rafie said:

This game is awesome. I have it on the Vita. It will be great on the gamepad!

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

An absolutely AMAZING idea! But unfortunately completely opposite to my style when it comes to music, action and character design, shame :(

SteveSnowmn

SteveSnowmn said:

Love rhythm games, I'll definitely check this out. The music isn't really my taste but hey. Not many rhythm games on Wii U :P

Kirk

Kirk said:

Actually looks pretty cool.

These rhythm games, when done properly, can actually be really enjoyable.

Wouldn't mind trying this.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

Thats a great sign for indi games on wii u. Means pinball & castlestorm must have sold well.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Rhythm games are my secret love, and fighting games are my absolute favourite kind of game. But, this isn't a rhythm fighter, it's a rhythm beat 'em up, kinda like Space Channel 5 (just MUCH more serious).
Nonetheless, I like how this looks.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

Looks cool, though I think calling it a fighting game is a slight inaccuracy. It looks more like a beat em up to me. Still, this trailer has me pretty excited. I'd never even heard of this game.

JeffreyG

JeffreyG said:

Played a bit of the demo on the Vita, I liked the idea but the difficulty is bothering me. After you complete the hilariously easy tutorial, the first level of the story mode seemed to be around the difficulty of the last few levels of Rhythm Thief on the 3DS. Maybe I was just tired though... :P

swampertdude

swampertdude said:

@MJKOP alright, I actually forgot about that, I had that awful electro-pop band or whatever you wanna call them in mind, sorry! :p

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

I own this on my Vita, and have been considering picking it up on the PC as well. A very solid music game with a great soundtrack and unique visuals. It's fairly challenging as well, though certainly not impossible.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

People who only own a Nintendo console really need to support Zen in the way that they've supported the Wii U.