Spice Up Your Christmas Tree with These Retro Controller Decorations

Posted by Martin Watts

Deck the halls with retro game stuff

For many of us, Christmas is the one day of the year where getting a new video game is pretty much guaranteed — provided you've been a good boy or girl that is. So it only makes sense that you should celebrate the day for the gaming goodness which it bestows on you, right?

North American online retailer ThinkGeek seems to think so, which is why it's now stocking a range of gaming-themed Christmas decorations. Throw those baubles out the window and chuck that tinsel in the bin, because for just $20 you can purchase a set of classic controller ornaments that are bound to invoke memories of when you received a NES or SEGA Genesis for one of your childhood Christmases.

The pack contains four controller decorations for you to hang from the tree: an Atari joystick, a NES controller, a Sega Genesis controller and a Sony PlayStation controller. Alternatively, you could opt for these unorthodox mini LEGO decorations if you're looking for something a little more out of the ordinary.

Do you already have any gaming-inspired decorations that you hang on your tree each year? Let us know in the comments section below!

[via gizmodo.com.au, thinkgeek.com]

8BitSamurai

8BitSamurai said:

I want these! Especially the PS1 and NES ones.

Well, that's what I would say, if I did Christmas trees. :P

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

A PS1 is considered retro? Boy, I am getting old then.

@MegaWatts

Check the article because it says SNES when it should say NES. And personally, I find the SNES controller more retro than the PS1.

dereq

dereq said:

Ugh, the PS1 controller reinforces my opinion that it was prolly the ugliest, cheapest made/looking system in existence. And to think this is what made people leave Nintendo?! Yikes.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

No SNES controller ornament (at least, as far as the image shows)? Booooooo! :D
Seriously though, video game controllers are a neat idea for Christmas ornaments! I like that idea! :)

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

What no SNES controller? They need to replace the PS one with the SNES IMO.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@Tasuki

The PS1 only feels the slightest bit retro when you fire up 32-bit sidescrollers such as Rayman, Mega Man 8, Castlevania SOTN, Mega Man X4 ect. Yet the 90% of the other side of the catalogue consists of those pesky new born baby polygons. No matter how old and dated they are, for moi they just don't fit the Retro-jello mold if you catch my drifty' So yeah....That PS1 controller aint going on my christmas tree. :P

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

From Toys R' Us years ago, I got(rather, purchased) 2 Mario themed Christmas ornaments a few days after Christmas, Mario holding a present, & Mario holding a Christmas tree, that went along w/ one my sister got me for that Christmas, Mario doing a belly slide from SM64. I have never been able to find them online, I hang them on my tree each year.

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

Replace the baubles with controllers, the tinsel with wires, put the consoles under the tree like presents and you've got yourself an awesome christmas tree

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Psh, I'm not interested unless they're fully functional with their respective consoles. You might as well use the actual controller, though, since it's unlikely that you'll be playing something on every system on Giftmas.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Although I agree that the SNES controller deserves to be there more than the PS1, you may notice that each controller comes from a different developer, so it would not be fair for Nintendo to have two.

But the fact that the Xbox controller is nowhere to be found does not bother me in the slightest :)