Pokémon Hanafuda Playing Cards Hitting Japan This Month

Posted by Damien McFerran

Is Nintendo going back to its roots?

As we all know, Nintendo started life not as a video game maker (that would have been hard in the 1880s) but as a card manufacturer. The company seems to be going back to its roots to celebrate the launch of Pokémon X & Y, as a site has just gone live in Japan with the title "Pokémon Hanafuda".

There's a single image on the site at present — of fan-favourite Pikachu, naturally — and although the relevant copyright details appear at the bottom of the page, some have questioned the legitimacy of the venture. Could this be an attempt by unscrupulous types to make a bit of easy money out of the new 3DS release? Or is it merely a low-key move by Nintendo? We'll find out in due course, but in the meantime let us know if Pokémon Hanafuda is something you need in your life.

[via kotaku.com, pokemon-hanafuda.com]

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

"The year is 1885, before the accolades and awards...Nintendo got its start by making Hanafuda cards!"
I love that song so very much! But I digress...if it's legitimate, I would most definitely like the option to receive such a set on CN (No, not Cartoon Network! I mean Club Nintendo, silly! ;)).

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

If anything make these one of NA elite rewards for CN next year. I wouldn't have enough coins to get them if it wasn't. Either, some Pokémon rewards would be welcome on Club Nintendo.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Is that the front of the card or the back?

Considering how many cards my kids have now this seems like easy money for Nintendo.

though I'll take it as a Club Nintnedo yearly reward or coin purchase. :-)

dsparil

dsparil said:

Going from the WHOIS info, the site is registered to Movic which Wikipedia describes as "a Japanese company which specializes in the publication of trading cards, figures, CDs, and other general media related to the anime industry. Movic is a part of the Animate group."

Movic seems like a legitimate company, but it's weird that the site wasn't registered by The Pokemon Company or Nintendo.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Please bring those to the West. Please. And bring back the ones on Club Nintendo!

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox said:

I wish Nintendo would publish a Hanafuda game in the eShop. I really enjoyed the Koi Koi game in Clubhouse Games (aka 42 All-Time Classics).

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

I have proper a set of Nintendo brand Hanafuda cards, as well as a set of Mario Hanafuda cards fom Club Nintendo. I kinda want these now.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

I think this is legit. It's no longer their main business, but Nintendo does still make Hanafuda Cards for sell in Japan. Unless I'm wrong, I think they still host tournaments as well.

Samurairu

Samurairu said:

Wish I knew where to pick these up in Japan when I'm there next week! If anyone finds out, please let me know. Thanks.

MathRaph

MathRaph said:

Little people know that outside of Japan, but Nintendo never stopped producing and selling Hanafuda cards. They're even pretty common.
This looks very cool thought. I like the pop culture figure on the retro classic hanafuda design.

x-mas_mii

x-mas_mii said:

just a question, I ordered the majoras mask cd for my club nintendo reward, but I still haven't gotten it yet. I anyone else having this problem?

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@x-mas_mii The Majora's Mask CD that you ordered as your elite status gift won't be shipped until mid-November. That's when they ship the Gold and Platinum status rewards.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Please be a North American Club Nintendo reward <3

Except it probably won't.

TradeMark

TradeMark said:

Sweet! Also just found out that the Japanese Club Nintendo is getting a The Wind Waker HD soundtrack CD for those who register their copy of the game. I'm just a teenie bit (read: a whole lot) jealous of them :( Hopefully it can make it's way to the Europe and North America Club Nintendo at some point.