Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Nine

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Pokémon, Fox has lovely teeth, a Mario stage and more

Monday means Miiverse here on Nintendo Life, or to be more specific screens from Super Smash Bros. that have been published on the bespoke network. As always, Masahiro Sakurai has taken to the Director's Room for the upcoming Wii U and 3DS titles to release new screens on each working day; he never lets us down.

Last week's posts bring some new revelations. A New Super Mario Bros. stage made its début, with Mario and Luigi having some difficulty, and the screen likely to set pulses racing is one featuring Pikachu and Xerneas, the Legendary 'mon from Pokémon X, with Sakurai-san teasing us with the following comment — "We have absolutely nothing to announce today regarding Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Really!" Ooh, the scamp.

Without further pre-amble, check them out below and click on the date headings if you want to see the original Miiverse posts.

14th October

15th October

16th October

17th October

18th October

Some intriguing snapshots upon which to speculate wildly this week. Let us know which you like the most in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (370 votes)

Mario and Luigi jump into action

16%

Toon Link shoots skywards

18%

A full view of the Skyward Sword stage

16%

Why Fox, what neat and sharp little teeth you have!

17%

Pikachu and Xerneas aren't talking...

29%

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Yosher

Yosher said:

Definitely Mario & Luigi's picture for giving off a Mario Bros vibe. I'd choose the Xerneas one for revealing something new, but it's very vague and I don't like it much.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

I love the funny and sometimes even sassy comments Mr. Sakurai leaves on every image. He must be a really cool person in real life.

InternetFurret

InternetFurret said:

thats not a new super mario bros stage, its from super mario 3d land... people are a bit confused.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I like the funny Fox and Peach one. Fox looks quite fierce, but it's funny how Peach looks calm and amused about the whole thing. I'd vote for the pic with Xerneas, but it's pretty vague. If it showed all of Xerneas, I'd definitely vote for it, but maybe that will be for another day. It's only a matter of time until Yveltal is revealed too.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

I kinda stopped looking at these for some reason...maybe its Pokemon Y's fault, lol

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Given the amount of time I'm dedicating to WInd Waker HD these days, I'll go with Toon Link,

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Mario Bros. stage! I actually think it looks a lot more like something from SML3D though. I don't remember the spinning blocks in a New Super Mario Bros. game (not saying they aren't there, I just remember these from Super Mario 3D Land). Plus the backdrop and the tree in the foreground look like they were ripped straight out of SML3D

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Toon Link is the best looking. Does anyone else feel the visuals are rather inconsistant?
Does anyone else reckon the Mario one is an adventure mode type thing rather than a stage?

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

First one, as it's - again - the ONLY 3DS screen. Thankfully today we've seen another 3DS screen on the site, so maybe things are FINALLY moving forward...

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@AdanVC Do you happen to know if there's an English Miiverse feed of Sakurai's Smash Bros. posts? I follow his Japanese one, but unfortunately I can't read Japanese...

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

The spinning color blocks are from Super Mario 3D Land, not New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Sakurai was mistaken.

Goginho

Goginho said:

I'm a bit bothered by the way Fox looks. I like his Star Fox 64 (3D) look the best. Same goes for the Wii U version of normal Link. Then again, I'm not really a fan of the visual direction of modern Smash Bros games (for most characters). Maybe that's why I prefer the 3DS look over the Wii U look [go ahead, thumb me down :P ..oh wait, this ain't youtube].
The visuals are fitting for some characters, but for others, they are a miss imo..

Goginho

Goginho said:

Also, how did the Pokemon pic get the most votes [at the time of this writing]?
It's way simplistic and nothing special I find. Sure, it shows a mere 20% of the backside of that new Pokemon from the X and Y games, but that's nothing exciting, especially since the picture has very little dynamic (top half of idle Pikachu -.-).
Oh well, different tastes.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@thesilverbrick

Thank goodness for that, I think the SSB series has given handhelds the middle finger for a way too long time now. It's about time for a proper handheld SSB title, and I hope this one turns out at least as good as Melee.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@AlexSora89 I agree that a handheld Smash is long overdue and I'm happy the 3DS is finally capable of doing it justice. But get used to only one 3DS screenshot a week, though. The new characters and features make more of an impact in HD and Nintendo knows that and will definitely push the Wii U version more...

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@CrabGats I'm with you on that one. Why do they insist upon keeping him in his deformed Starfox Command look? I wish they'd revert to the 64 concept art, which would actually make sense, considering the recent re-release of Starfox 64 3D...

NightmareXIV

NightmareXIV said:

Toon Link is blasting of agaaaain! (Twinkle effect in the distance to signify that he's gone)

SuperBlaze

SuperBlaze said:

BEST GAME EVAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrOzaki

DrOzaki said:

Geez, Peach is turning into an AJ Lee type character! Hope they run with this, it'll give her some personality!

Volke93

Volke93 said:

I'm sorry I'm continuing about this, but I need answers: WHY THE 3DS HATING? WHY?

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@DarkCoolEdge I definitely think it's much more exciting than the others. And apparently, according to the votes, most people feel the same way I do. Oh, well. To each his own.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@TheGreatGamer It will be after summer. Mark my words. A brief look at history should tell you that. Look at Brawl, for example. The first trailer was shown on May 10, 2006 and the game was released on March 9, 2008 after a couple delays, almost two years later. If you compare that to the new Smash, it could be coming out as late as April of 2015 according to the same timetable.
These games have very long development cycles, and you can pretty much guarantee a delay, since Nintendo is new to working with HD and is simultaneously developing two Smash Bros. games this time.
Don't hold your breath for next summer; you'll suffocate.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@TheGreatGamer Yeah, I'm just as bummed as you are. I'd love to be playing it by summer, but there's really no way it'll be out by then. At least there'll be Mario Kart 8 to keep you occupied in the meantime...