Former Nintendo Composer Dedicates Retro Remixes to Hiroshi Yamauchi

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Super Mario Land and Metroid both given special new tracks

Earlier this week former Nintendo President Hiroshi Yamauchi passed away at 85 years of age. He'd led the company from 1949 to 2002, overseeing a revolution as Nintendo became the world's leading video game console manufacturer. By leading Nintendo to such success in the industry, Yamauchi-san can also be attributed a substantial role in driving the evolution and growth of the wider video game industry that we know today.

Plenty of tributes have rightfully been made, and it's perhaps those from former employees that have the greatest poignancy. In that respect two new tracks from Hirokazu Tanaka are worth noting, as he was a composer and audio producer for Nintendo between 1980 and 1999, working on a number of projects; he's now a chiptune artist that works under the names Chip Tanaka and Hip Tanaka. Two of his soundtracks were for Super Mario Land and Metroid, and he's produced remixes of those two dedicated to the former Nintendo President.

Both are below, and are well worth a listen.

Super Mario Land

Metroid

[via polygon.com]

Related Games

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I can't see either.

But I loved the Super Mario Land remixed music in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I couldn't see them at first either. Try refreshing the page, they appeared then for me. Nice tracks~

Gioku

Gioku said:

Those were pretty awesome. The Super Mario Land one made me a bit sad. Untitled

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Yamauchi-san finished Metroid in 10 minutes flat, got to see Samus naked, and got awesome Metroid PLUS Super Mario Land ending themes! :D

This was a beautiful tribute, by a legendary composer! After listening to this, I'd like some epic game music played at my funeral, rather than the standard religious fare.

Rest in peace, and thank you, Mr. Yamauchi. Myself and millions of others may not be gamers today, following the crash, if not for Nintendo saving the industry! Gaming lost a true savior this week.

RedFireTiger

RedFireTiger said:

man ... makes me wanna play Super Mario Land all over again. Classic video game tunes for sure.