3D Streets Of Rage Will Come With One Hit Deathblow Mode

Posted by Damien McFerran

Bare Knuckle becomes Fist of the North Star?

Sega's 3D Classics range — which has so far only seen the light of day in Japan but is due to hit the west soon — is a selection of the company's past titles adapted for the 3DS console's auto-stereoscopic display.

In the games released so far, Sega has made other enhancements — such as extra game modes — and this trend is set to continue with the forthcoming 3D Streets of Rage (known in Japan as Bare Knuckle).

The 3DS eShop release will feature "One Hit Deathblow Mode", which allows players to defeat enemies with a single punch, Kenshiro-style.

The game will also have co-op play and button-mapping options. It hits Japan on August 21st in Japan.

It's one of our favourite Sega Mega Drive / Genesis games, so we're really looking forward to getting our hands on it. Are you excited too?

[via siliconera.com, twitter.com]

smashbrolink

smashbrolink said:

I can see some complaining about this making the game "too easy", but it might be fun to blow through things like a God after beating it once.XD

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Well, that's better, but I'll still wait for the possibility of the superior sequels getting the 3D treatment before I consider double-dipping on this franchise.

sadsack777

sadsack777 said:

got to love this game this is pure play not what u get to day its rush rush to make money to some companys got to say love to sega putting there name on the trainer in the pic

gsmaciel

gsmaciel said:

I'm really curious on how they made de 3D effect on this one, since the characters change depth and they can't simply determine a fixed depth for each layer... Or maybe they can and it works somehow. Don't know, that's why I'm curious :D

f00had

f00had said:

Does anyone know if it has download play co-op? I would buy it if it does.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I thought you would die after one hit. Glad to hear it is the other way around

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

@gsmaciel I think it will probably be something similar to Code of Princess or perhaps Excitebike 3D. Some 2D games break up the 3D into a handful of discreet 3D layers (e.g. Mighty Switch Force, Kirby 3D), but there's a lot more granularity of depth possible like you see 3D/3D games (e.g. Ocarina of Time). Because there are no discreet layers in SOR, I think it will be more like the 3D/3D games, where the characters gradually transition from front to back rather than Back/Mid/Front type of approach... Can't wait to find out, I LOVE the Streets of Rage series!!

hydeks

hydeks said:

one hit kills? no thanks, makes a classic too easy, I love the challenge :P

By co-op play, does that mean local only or online too? Cause online multiplayer for this game would rule!

Windy

Windy said:

Thank goodness for Sega Taking the 3D classics seriously at this point. Keepem comin sega they will be bought up!

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

I think thats a pretty cool feature. You have to remember old school games are pretty rough. Wouldn't want to turn off a new audience for an old classic. Plus it adds replayability as well, you can easily do speed runs of the game in this mode.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

The original is still my favourite, it may look simpler, but I like the design for the sprites and the music more that the sequels, or I'm more nostalgic about it...
I'm pretty good at Streets of Rage, so don’t think I'll need this mode, second game I had for the Megadrive and I played it a lot (and still do!). Any little additional options are always cool though.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Streets of Rage isn't a very difficult game don't expect anybody to have a problem with it regardless of this mode.

(Your character only taking one hit per life might make it more interesting to play).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Windy Still rather them do Vectorman (either) / Gunstar Heroes / M.U.S.H.A / Some of the Wonderboys. than any of this batch. (Probably get a few of these regardless).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Be interesting to see if Sega's 3D Classic holds up to it. (It was all their own code and I don't think they ripped the sprites out of the game).

ReaperX30

ReaperX30 said:

I never had a Genesis but I rented one a couple of times and my favorite games were Altered Beast, Streets of Rage 2, Golden Axe 2 and of course Space Harrier. I hope they release all of them everywhere (Europe, US and Canada and anywhere else) so we can all get this gaming goodness. Man just thinking of playing those again is getting me all nostalgic.

Windy

Windy said:

@unrandomsam all great games! Let's hope they 3dize them also :) To go a little further if these 3d treated sega classics do well they might just do more releases for the 3d classics line up. I'm buying each and every release not because of that but because they were just darn good fun back in the day. Shining in the darkness a 3d classic would just blow my mind! It would also be one of the best RPG's on the 3ds up to this point

sonik

sonik said:

I'll wait for the sequels makes the "3d classics" debut, the first SoR is really inferior to the sequels.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Windy: Let's hope Nintendo makes more NES 3D classics soon! Sega's allowing custom button mapping on their games once again. I love all the extra features on the Game Gear games. I hope they also allow you to stretch the image onto the entire screen with these games as well;)

Windy

Windy said:

@KnightRider666 does Nintendo even have any 3D classics slated for release? I do like the Idea of sega Bringing us some and I hope they do well. It just seems like Nintendo has dumped the 3D Classics

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

River City Ramsom would have been a prime candidate for a 3D classic. They could have used the sprites from the TG16 or X68000 version fixed the sprite flicker and the lag in 2 player mode and all would have been great. If it is not going to be done for that I doubt we will get anything else.

Konami should do something for Star Soldier and Life Force (They are both pretty awful). Less effort to just release the TG16 Salamander and the TG16 Star Soldier games though.

Windy

Windy said:

@unrandomsam I wish they would do a bunch of TG16 in 3d classics. All the Bonks would just look awesome! Not to mention some of the best shooters ever made. Would be a 3d Classic Heaven. DraculaX would be a great 3d Classic and just look awesome! We can dream maybe some day :) I think it would be the great revival of the TG16/PCEngine should someone ever do it. Here's lookin at you Konami.