Retro Collection of Manga Titles Coming To 3DS in Japan

Posted by Andy Green

Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya and Go! Go! Ackman all feature

Namco Bandai is bringing a compilation of Famicom and Super Famicom games known as J Legend Biography in Japan.

The games included in the collection are Dragon Ball: Mystery of Shenlong, Go! Go! Ackman 3, Saint Seiya: The Golden Legend, Saint Seiya: The Golden Legend Final Chapter and Sakigake!! Otokojuku - the last one is commonly known as Charge! Men’s Private School in the West.

Saint Seiya has had a few video games since it emerged on the Famicom, while Go! Go! Ackman has a trio of titles on the Super Famicom and a Game Boy adaptation. Meanwhile, Sakigake!! Otokojuku has had a Game Boy iteration and a couple of PlayStation adventures on top of the Famicom game.

None of these titles made it to the West, with the exception of Dragon Ball: Mystery of Shenlong, which had a heavily altered version made available in North America known as Dragon Power.

It's fairly unlikely Namco Bandai Presents J Legend Biography will make it overseas, but what do you think to it? Are there any manga fans out there who would pick this up if it was localised?

[via siliconera.com, j-legend.bngames.net]

Goginho

Goginho said:

Oh maaan. Evertime I read the headline and see the word "coming" I get excited ..and then right after the "in Japan" ruins it -.- lol

Kaboom

Kaboom said:

"Heavily altered" or not, I'd kill Kuririn to get a copy of Dragon Power.

Kaboom

Kaboom said:

"Heavily altered" or not, I'd kill Kuririn to get a copy of Dragon Power.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

I would prefer Retro Virtual Console titles rather than collections, especially if it's for the NES or SNES. The 3DS needs the SNES for games like Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart, EarthBound, and F-Zero.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Not what I expected but certainly interesting. Will never make it over here, though. Just wish Viz would pick up Saint Seiya and put it on their iPad/Phone app.

RR529

RR529 said:

Namco Bandai comes out with yet another licensed title we'll never see, lol.

Did they forget that they have their own IP :P (yeah, I know we're getting that Pac-Man platformer, but I figured they'd have at least announced a SoulCalibur, or another arcade compilation or Ace Combat by now)

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Saint Seiya is also immensely popular in Spain, France, Italy, Mexico and South America (under the alternate name "Knights of the Zodiac"). That said, the two Saint Seiya games released for the Famicom suck.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Whoa, Saint Seiya? That better come to the Americas! I used to be a huge (and I mean HUGE) fan of the series as a kid.

Magikarp3

Magikarp3 said:

When I saw this post, I thought it meant that a manga reader was coming to the 3ds in Japan.

That would've been cool

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Ahh. I just have not heard of Saint Seiya before. I knew it and Ronin Warriors were quite different but didn't know they came out around the same time. LOVE Ronin Warriors, so definitely about to look into some of this. Been watching Cardfight Vanguard.

thatguyEZ

thatguyEZ said:

I would love for this to come west. I usually just read my manga on the net unless i really like it then I'll pick up a copy at a bookstore if it's available. But I'd love to be able to have Saint Seiya on my 3DS.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

I wouldn't mind trying out a Saint Seyia game. Even if it might suck. I've had my share of Dragon Ball games. Burnt out on those a long time ago. As for Sakigate Otokojuku, I would love to read that manga. It would be nice if Viz brought that over here but I highly doubt that. :(

JustinH

JustinH said:

Dragon Power is one of the most frustrating games from my childhood, but hell, I'd buy it on 3DS, sure.

bahooney

bahooney said:

Go! Go! Ackman??! That Super Famicom game is KILLER! Thanks for reminding me I still have to pick up the trilogy, NL!

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

@CanisWolfred Viz do publish Saint Seiya they started doing it back in 2003 (i have them you see) so if they never released it on their iPad app you could always buy the proper mangas