Yuke's Has A Pacific Rim Game In Development

Posted by Andy Green

Expect plenty of big robots

Pacific Rim is one of this year's major cinema blockbusters and it has been revealed that there will be a video game tie-in for it, which will no doubt be released at around the same time.

It's to be developed and published by Yuke's, the studio behind the annual WWE licensed releases. The upcoming WWE title is still being made by the developer, but it now works under Take-Two , which picked up the license after the demise of THQ.

Pacific Rim is about an alien attack which threatens the very existence of the planet and in order to fend them off the humans take control of giant mechanoids. It's likely the gameplay will centre around these gigantic robots.

There's no official release date for the game yet, though the movie is out on 12th July in the US so we'd expect it to be around then. As of right now, we don't even know which platforms this one is coming to.

The trailer to the movie is below for those who'd like to check it out. If you ask us, the voice of the computer sounds a lot like GLaDOS from Portal.

What are your thoughts on Pacific Rim? Would you be interested in a movie-tie in? Let us know by dropping a comment below.

[via yukes.co.jp, nintendoeverything.com]

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Yuke's!? Oh my, please make it good, please make it really really good!

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

A game of this movie would have the potential to be incredible but as everyone knows movie tie ins are nearly always 99% bad because they are made just to cash in with the movie and not made with any care at all. Kinda sad really

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

Doesn't a movie at least have to be released to be considered a "blockbuster"?

I'm guessing this game will suck.

GoombaSlayer

GoombaSlayer said:

Oh, so a WWE developer is making a movie-tie in game for "multiplatform"? How not interesting.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

That trailer reminds me of Robot Jox, a guilty pleasure from my childhood:

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

"If you ask us, the voice of the computer sounds a lot like GLaDOS from Portal."
That's because it is. Director Guillermo del Toro personally asked Valve if he could hire actress Ellen McLain (voice of GLaDOS) to appear in the film. Seeing this trailer in IMAX and hearing her voice sent a shiver down my spine. Awesome. I am looking forward to the game (Hopefully a download title) as Yuke's is a fantastic wrestling game developer.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

I hope they do well. Even though I don't like the "normal weapons don't work, so we have to make something new" type of thang, that shouldn't instantly make it a bad narrative.

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

Ya I remember seeing the trailer for the movie a while ago and was like, wo its sounds exactly like glados!

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Well I'm looking forward for the movie. Maybe this will be different, despite previous history with movie tie-ins.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I really dont like the design of the robots. I favor japanese robot designs (Armored Core, Gundam etc) But the cockpit concept is really nice and actually makes sense ;) Cant say that i want to see that movie, maybe sometime later on a bargain BluRay, but im definitly not interested in a "hollywood movie game adaptation"

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

Right up to the mech showing up in the trailer, I thought it looked like an okay Godzilla movie. By the end, I knew I'd never watch this movie. It just looks terrible. The glados voice almost seems like a cry for attention, because without it, I really question how many people would be talking about this film.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

Give me Mech Warrior any day (film and game), although this might be worth a look in 3D.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

If it plays like those wicked Godzilla games we got I'm in.

I think this could turn out well.

I HOPE it turns out well.

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

normally have no hopes for movie tie ins, but when the core concept of the movie is "giant robots fighting hand to hand against giant alien monsters", it's the sort of thing that is actually more fitting to a game than a movie to begin with

DeathlyDarkness

DeathlyDarkness said:

I'm excited for this! Big time! Hope it's one of the few good movie game tie-ins( ie, Spider-Man 3 on the wii :) )

ZinogreMaster

ZinogreMaster said:

Im hoping this is good. But i cant make any judgements until i play the game or watch the movie. I think that has potential to be really good. But thats because I've always had an interest in the "giant robots fighting giant monsters" concept.