Shantae 3DS Virtual Console Release Date Creeps Ever Closer

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Check back on Monday, WayForward fans

It says much for how highly some gamers regard Shantae on the Game Boy Color that its arrival on the 3DS Virtual Console can attract serious attention. One of WayForward's original IPs, it combines exploration with action platforming to keep a lot of gamers happy, with the subsequent DSiWare sequel and upcoming 3DS eShop release attracting plenty of hype.

The good news is that WayForward's Matt Bozon has tweeted that a final date is ready to be announced, after a number of hints and estimates in recent times.

Good news indeed. We'll let you know once the final date is confirmed, but in the meantime let's all talk about how eager we are to download this one when it finally lands.

[via twitter.com]

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I never had the chance to play this game when it was officially released years ago. I'm glad they decided to release it on the eshop so I can try it out for myself.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

It's good to get 3rd party gb/gbc games reach the vc. I' just hope we get Metal Gear. Come on Konami, you can do it!

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Cant wait for this game. I have heard good things about this game and the sequel but I missed this one during the GBC era. Going to be a day one buy for me.

DanielHPoetry

DanielHPoetry said:

The sequel, Shantae's Risky Revenge has been available in the Apple App Store for $2 for a while now. I know it isn't the same game, but I'm just sayin...

tsm7

tsm7 said:

Does anyone with some tech experience know why it takes so long for these to release? I don't remember when they announced it but I think it was a year ago.

Electricmastro

Electricmastro said:

Likely the very last major release the Game Boy/Game Boy Color era received, as late as 2002. I'm planning on getting this along with Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. It definitely seems like a must-play game in general. Once i'm finished with it, i'll buy the DSIWare sequel. :)

Gioku

Gioku said:

I'll probably want to play all three. I'll start with this first one, and by the time I've gotten to and finished the second, maybe the third will have been released...

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

I don't understand why Australia doesn't have Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Europe has it but Wayforward didn't bother releasing it simutaneously here. i know you can just change eshop regions and download it, but I don't really wanna have to do that. Now wayforward wants to bring the original out on the VC, WTF Wayforward??

tsm7

tsm7 said:

@Electricmastro : I understand these hurdles but at this point I feel it should be more streamlined. They're all valid reasons for it not being rapid but a full year not so much.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Day One, baby! Been looking forward to this since it was announced in Nintendo Power last year.

Can't wait for Pirate's Curse, either.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm getting this mainly from playing the sequel on DSiWare and wanting to play the original for some time.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

Yay an announcement for an announcement, I'm getting tired of these announcements announcing dates for announcements but at least this one is tomorrow and not next week or next month. On WayForwards blog it says Shantae comes out at the end of June but I hope it's sooner and I also hope that whatever the final release date is Nintendo doesn't decide to delay the release date at the last minute.

marc_max

marc_max said:

This means that users will be able to have the whole Shantae trilogy on the same console!

Cevan

Cevan said:

I'll be picking this up for sure once it's been released. I'm also look forward to the Pirate's Curse as well.

daggdroppen

daggdroppen said:

YAY!

baah. i saw wrong. i thought it was the 3DS titles :P

i dont care that much about this news..

Bazly

Bazly said:

W00t! So pumped for this! I've been holding off on getting the DSiware one because it's rather pricey, and despite the rave reviews, I really want to try this one first! And now I finally will! :)

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Definitely getting this - it's like Metroid, but Arabian Nights style. The only thing is, I'm holding off on all VC releases until Sonic 2 comes out.