Children Of The Sun, Take Note: The Mysterious Cities of Gold Is Coming To Wii U And 3DS

Posted by Orla Madden

Classic anime series is getting the video game treatment

We reported back in February that Neko Entertainment revealed during an interview that the studio was developing a new game for the Wii U, but no specific details were given on the subject.

The developer has announced that it's bringing The Mysterious Cities of Gold to the Wii U and 3DS this fall, which is being developed under the supervision of Web and Games producing company Flaoua.

Information is very scarce on the title, except that it's based on the Japanese-French anime of the same name, which debúted in Japan in 1982 and has recently been revived. You'll be able to switch between Esteban, Zia and Tao, the three heroes of the series.

We look forward to hearing more details on Neko Entertainment's new project. What are your thoughts on the news? Let us know in the comment section, and remind yourself of just how amazing the theme tune to this series is by watching the classic '80s intro below. Because we're good like that, we've also provided the intro to the brand-new series as well. Enjoy!

[via gonintendo.com]

BrightBeing

BrightBeing said:

Fascinating... I didn't even know this anime existed...
Edit: First!
Edit 2: I thought about it overnight and then listened to the opening sequence again and it hit me: OMG!! I remember this series! This was on Nickelodeon almost before it was Nickelodeon! I really need to track this down and take a look! I had totally forgot about it!

Jayvir

Jayvir said:

Anyone familiar with the anime? Is it interesting enough to adapt to a video game?

ueI

ueI said:

I've never heard of this, but it looks interesting enough.

bunnyking

bunnyking said:

OH SNAP! This is awesome! I loved the anime it was really adult and twisted and just awesome!

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Do very much want! I just recently got into this series. I hope they bring the new series over.

Funbunz

Funbunz said:

Awesome! I used to love this show when I was a kid. I always wanted to see it again, but had no idea what it was called. I'm surprised it would become a video game, though.

Parkavenue359

Parkavenue359 said:

Hmm, the mysterious city of gold. Im not sure if this will sell well in the states, but it would be a killer gamein Israel. Not to be negative, I would, however, prefer a freeroam, open world game set in the last air bender universe over this.

Midnight3DS

Midnight3DS said:

@TwilightV

How about G- Force: Guardians of Space? See, I had no way of knowing what these were really called when they were on television. These are some sweet ones I'd like to see, darn it.

epylon

epylon said:

great you do realise that my entire bank holliday is now going to be wasted rewatching my dvd box set, all i need now is a ulysses 31 game. nostalgia overload iminent.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

@Midnight3DS: Yeah. Some of the liscensing in the US has been an absolute nightmare. Shame most of these series fall into obscurity because of it. Only other classic series I can think of that has an upcoming game is Saber Rider And The Star Sheriffs.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

...Huh...

...I'm vaguely interested. Also, why does it seem that non-American cartoons, outside of some comedy shows, are always more interesting? I may be just over-simplifying, but anyone else have this sentiment?

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

@V8_Ninja: It's likely because every time we get a serious action series with an interesting plot, executive meddling comes into play and we get only two seasons. Three if we're lucky. And most don't even get a proper conclusion.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

This game could be interesting. I've never heard of this show since I don't follow anime much anymore. Regardless, the Wii U could always use more games.

gaby_gabito

gaby_gabito said:

I hope they bring this to the US! Never heard of it, but the vids made me happy for some reason lol:)

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@TwilightV

Yeah the cartoon's have some what gone down hills now a days its really depressing when you start to really get into the show on cartoonnetwork or nick or disney then after 3 seasons sometimes just gone off air no ryme or reason really annoying.

Wish they'd bring back rugrats, ed, edd, n eddy & other classics show's that actually had a storyline & plot to them these newer shows are some what of joke now a days.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

P-Gamer-C

P-Gamer-C said:

nintendo get kids of the sun sony and pc gets battlefield 4 smh were are the real games

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

@Barbiegurl777: EE&E's Big Picture Show felt like a proper conclusion, but at the same time it felt like more could be done with the series.

Lots of times shows won't even make it past their pilots. Of CN's Cartoonstitute and Nick's Random! Cartoons (projects created to make new series like CN's old What A Cartoon! project), only four pilots have been made into series, Adventure Time, Bravest Warriors (on Youtube), Regular Show and the upcoming Uncle Grandpa.

adrenochrome

adrenochrome said:

the original animation is so great ! full of adventures and mystery
there's so much potential for a video game
but the new version of the anime has very few in common with the original one :/ especially the gfx look so bad (Esteban face is barely recognizable :((( )
I only hope the team of the new anime wont be involved in the game

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Ha ha, awesome :) I used to watch this all the time on Children's BBC in the UK back in the 1980's. Really interested to see how this game turns out.

Damagemanual

Damagemanual said:

My god, I forgot all about this show. That theme song brought me right back to my childhood. Sign me up!

Gallimastro

Gallimastro said:

Holy crap... I remember MCoG. That used to be on right before the dubbed Dragon Warrior anime. I think I was around 7. MCoG had an annoying themesong, but wow.

SuperKMx

SuperKMx said:

WHAT WHAT WHAT? OH MY GOD! :)

I just had a little nervous breakdown. I LOVE The Mysterious Cities of Gold. Watched them all as a kid, and went straight through the boxed set on DVD a few months ago. Amazing!

NImH

NImH said:

This is a great series. Not super enticing to small children... But everyone with Netflix needs to give it a whirl.
There's so much potential for an epic game here. I imagine something like La Mulana meets The Lost Vikings.

RIC616

RIC616 said:

I used to love this show and oddly enough, just last week sat my son down to watch an episode after he showed an interest in the cartoons I used to watch.

H_Hunter

H_Hunter said:

Wow!
I saw this anime back in the 80's and now it's becoming a video game?

can't wait!

Xilef

Xilef said:

Might check out the anime. Attack on titan isn't the best series to watch when you want to relax, i need something more lighthearted.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Of all the great cartoons from the 80s/90s that I'd like to see made into a modern day videogame this one isn't very high on my list. The 2012 version does however look a lot more visually appealing than the original and it could potentially make a pretty good videogame if it's handled properly, so it will at least be interesting to see what comes of this...

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

Classic. This show was aired in my country in the mid 1990s, and I still remember it.

chibichibi

chibichibi said:

@Jayvir Interesting enough? I rate this as one of the best TV shows I've ever seen and probably the best series of my childhood. Between this and the Castle of Illusion remake my inner child is crying right now

Mysterious cities of Gold was such a great series, full of mystery and adventure, and it would make a great adventure game
Check out the wikipedia entry for more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mysterious_Cities_of_Gold

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@NImH A Last Vikings-type game could be cool. Though I think it might work better for something like Captain Planet.
And I'm sure I'm wrong, but wasn't this called something else in the U.S.? I remember the show, but I would have sworn that wasn't the name.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

The song takes me straight back to after school telly, just like the theme song to Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds does! Was on 'childrens BBC' I think.

bluewolf85

bluewolf85 said:

I want trying this game.. that's very nice...but I never seen the show before...
but I like it.. I saw it in youtube few month ago... I can't waiting trying this game...really is so exciting!

KAHN

KAHN said:

i'll need to see more about this before becoming interested. but i am intrigued.

Nintendo4Lyfe

Nintendo4Lyfe said:

Holy DiC and Saban... I used to watch that cartoon on Nick back in 1985! Let's hope this game launches in both North America and UK.