Details and Figurines Continue to Evolve for Pokémon Rumble U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

NFC toy sales are super effective!

Pokémon Rumble U — actually translated as Pokémon Scramble U in Japan — arrives on the Wii U eShop in Nintendo's homeland on 24th April. The Pokémon Company and Nintendo will no doubt be hoping that as well as the game itself performing well, it'll get a lot of interest and sales of the accompanying NFC figurines; rather like the Skylanders series minus the customised portal, gamers only need to place the toy on the NFC area of the Wii U GamePad and the character then unlocks in the game.

Considering the financial success that Activision has enjoyed with its toy range, it's no surprise that the catch 'em all instinct of the 'mon series is being made literal with these toys. While six toys have been revealed to accompany the game on launch day, Coro Coro magazine has revealed a further six (plus one secret 'mon) on the way to Japan from 25th May — Eevee, Mewtwo, Croagunk, Zoroark, Litwick and Genesect. The magazine also revealed that additional characters will be unlockable with passwords found in places such as the magazine, while one-use Pokémon will be available via special IC Cards — these, like the figurines, will use the NFC scanner in the GamePad.

We can, of course, expect Pokémon Rumble U to make it to the West eventually, and considering recent comments from The Pokémon Company that it's "cleared the decks" for toy licensing, we'd be amazed if it passed up the opportunity to launch a similar NFC figurine money-spinner outside of Japan; in Nintendo's homeland the toys will be 200 Yen (approx. £1.40 / €1.60 / $2).

You can see the first batch of toys and plenty of footage in last month's trailer, below. What do you think of this second batch, and are you interested in collecting these for this game? Let us know in the comments below.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

Kohaku

Kohaku said:

When they keep the price as low as in Japan I like to collect them.

rjejr

rjejr said:

There were new Pokemon toys in Target - a Snivy evolution 3-pack, some Kyrum, and new Poke ball sets - so people must still be buying Pokemon toys so anybody complaining about this isn't the target audience. Though I wonder where they'll put these since the game is DL only and Skylanders and soon Disney Infinity will be taking up a lot of space in the videogame section. Target also has 2 sections devoted to the cards, maybe they'll put the new toys there?

SteveW

SteveW said:

Skylanders is a great game, I would be quickly be bored with this game, it's not worth buying toys for.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Croagunk and Litwick? Are they anime important pokemon? (Well I know Brock had a Croagunk once but thats it)

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

Sounds like they call it "Pokemon Scramble U" in Japan... Interesting. I wonder why the Western territories changed it?

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

It looks like it just arena? I thought the WiiWare game was seriously boring (lacked any skill, challenge or driving force to play forward, my kids didn't even bother finishing it).
...and the arena part was the worst part of that game!

Comparing this to Skylanders makes this look like a cheap cash-in (just being honest here). Skylanders has big beautiful levels, a great storyline, and looks like a AAA game title.
This game is looking about A-grade at best to me and the figurines simply don't compare to Skylanders or Disney Infinity.
I like the idea of NFC and figurines, but the execution in this case seems terribly off and rushed to me. I really hope I'm somehow wrong, but I don't hold out much hope for this title.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

Anyone remember the ThinkChip Battle Stadium? To me, Nintendo had the idea of "toys-that-could-remember-stats" or whatever genre you want to call it.

Musharna

Musharna said:

Buying all the Figurines! Take my money Nintendo! Take it! Also sell me a few million Musharna and Munna figurines for $2 each!

NintendoPro64

NintendoPro64 said:

As a fan of the Rumble series, I am definitely excited! And who knows! Nothing like this has been done in Japan yet so with the just the right marketing, Nintendo could make this a fad in Japan and push Wii U hardware, if just a bit! :)

Nibelilt

Nibelilt said:

Is it even confirmed that these will even get localized? Just saying, since Japan got neither Skylanders game, and don't seem to be getting Infinity.
If it does come here though, I'll definetly buy into it as long as there aren't too many toys, I love how cheap they are!

ninja89

ninja89 said:

Not really into the NFC toy thing, it's just a little too kiddy but OMG if they did this with Digimon (nostalgia orgasm) I would so buy that game. Too bad Digimon was never that popular compared to Pokemon :(