Aksys Games Announces Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi For 3DS

Posted by Lee Meyer

Popular visual novel returns in 3D

Aksys Games has announced Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi, a visual novel/dating sim, for the 3DS. The title is the latest in the Hakuoki series, which have previously been released on the PSP. The 3DS entry features the original Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom with six extra stories that flesh out the game's world and characters.

Here's a description of the story from Aksys Games:

At a time when shogunate and imperial forces clashed for supremacy over Japan, Chizuru travels to Kyoto in search of her missing father. She runs into the Shinsengumi, a band of samurai warriors sworn to protect the shogun. Chizuru soon learns that they, too, are looking for her father. What awaits them is more than just your typical missing person’s case, as they face off against imperial soldiers and the supernatural! But in the midst of all this madness, will sweet and innocent Chizuru find love?

Aksys has been instrumental in increasing visibility for the visual novel genre in the US, thanks to hits like 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and its sequel, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. A release date for Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi hasn't been announced just yet.

Are you excited for Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi? Let us know in the comments section.

[via aksysgames.com]

neumaus

neumaus said:

OMG I totally fangirl over Hakuoki !!! Squeeee I MUST have this~! I already have Demon of the Fleeting Blossom and Warriors of the Shinsengumi for PSP.
And to those not familiar with the series: don't assume it's some horrible fanservice-y show. It's got a good amount of strong violence and blood and just brutal killing. Hakuoki is one of the best (if not the best) among anime/manga/games catered to women.
And Hakuoki Reimeiroku has no love in it as it's a prequel but it's hard to follow if you're not familiar with the series already...

SuperconsoleAdmin

Superconsole said:

I'm a huge sucker for a good visual novel / dating sim. A European release, please!

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

3D visual novel? I'm in.

Edit: Apparently after doing some research this is a game aimed at girls and it's about being surrounded by guys.
=(

Klinny

Klinny said:

I'll keep an eye on this. I like games that are a little bit different, and I enjoy visual novels/dating sims if they're done well.

Looks like it could be cute :)

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

At first glance it looks boring, but if it's made by the same person that did Zero Escape.... I want in.

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed that it's the same publisher, not the same writer. Oh well, still want in.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

Dating sim plus being a girl equals big no for me. I just can't do romance as the other gender. I'm definitely intrested in a game like this if I'm male and they keep it clean. I like romance in games and love games where you make a lot of choices. The Japanese feudal setting sounds awesome too.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@Jaz007 I'm curious on why many people don't like dating sims as the other gender. Maybe it's because you can relate to a guy (or a girl), or that your role fits in better since it's supposed to be you. I haven't tried many dating sims, but wouldn't experiencing moments of life from a someone else's perspective and situation, whom is drastically different then us, add to the interest of the game?

EDIT: I'm not sure what I just said there, nor what my point was.

Irysse

Irysse said:

Whoo! Can't say I remember a decent Otome game coming out in years, so this is a nice surprise.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Visual novel, point and click, adventure title... whatever you may call it, there's never enough of these types of games I love.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

omg omg omg omg omg!!!

omg i am soooooo excited for this!!!!! i thought we'd never get any of the rest of the Hakuoki game stuff here in the west! I picked up the main Hakuouki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom for PSP when that came out and was absolutely not disappointed... and now this! day-one purchase, holy crap~!

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

/me bans lz >:3

that does remind me that i haven't seen all of the anime... haven't checked Crunchyroll or anything in a while, so i should do that soon :3

neumaus

neumaus said:

@theblackdragon FINALLY someone in the comments section that actually KNOWS what Hakuoki is !! :3c
Crunchyroll has both the first season and the third (which is actually the prequel, Reimeiroku), but the second season is still missing. And it will probably stay that way for a long time (Sentai is currently selling it, and I'm sooooo tempted to buy it and the ova!!). And if you don't sub to CR I have an extra guest pass if you're interested >3<

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@neumaus: daah, that's where they were at last time i checked — i watched straight through that first season and then it just stopped like right in the middle of the story, lol. i guess i'll wind up shelling out eventually if no one gets to steppin' re: putting it on Instant Streaming, heck, i think i saw Reimeiroku available on Hulu+ for pete's sake D: thanks for the offer, i've already got access though thanks to my husband's old CR account :3

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I've actually never played this type of game genre before. It looks interesting though.

KingMike

KingMike said:

So few late-era PSP games, I ended up buying them all. :D
Except it seems I missed this one. (though I did get the even-later game that was released a couple months ago)
Oh well, now I guess it's better on 3DS anyways.

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

Really trying to get into this game on the PSP, but I just can't so far. The story is there, but it's missing something... I'm more of a 999/VLR/Corpse Party person, though.

neumaus

neumaus said:

@theblackdragon No problem >3< CR is currently streaming the second season of Utapri (Uta no prince sama), but like Hakuoki, Sentai is holding the first season. But CR said for sure they'll be getting the first season... eventually >_>
It's another good show aimed at women. But I recommend you to avoid Hiiro no Kakera... one of the worse shows to come from IF.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Well I'm not the target audience but I like to know a wide range of content is coming to my consoles. : )

ParSnake

ParSnake said:

Ahh... I was very interested in this, until I looked up the ESRB rating. When will there be a visual novel that is not rated M? I would've loved to play games like 999 and VLR if it weren't for their "mature" content.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@ParSnake: I was/am not a fan of 999 at all, the descriptions of gore and grossness were an absolute turnoff for me and reading it all made me want to hurl. However, I love Hakuouki; i picked up the PSP version on a hunch because it sounded kinda interesting and am incredibly glad I did. I hope they put out a demo or something for people who might be on the fence or unsure if they'd enjoy the content or not.