Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was possibly one of the most pleasant surprises in the Wii U launch lineup, as it features a huge amount of fan-service and top-notch track design. Throw in some Wii U-specific multiplayer options, and it's been a stand-out in the system's young life.
As we've seen recently with ZombiU, however, new titles increasingly need updates to clear up lingering issues, and the Wii U is far more capable and patch-friendly than its predecessor. Sumo Digital has been at work to improve Sonic's latest on Wii U and rival platforms, and the patch is now live.
Some of you may have already noticed this when playing the game this week — it should automatically download and install when you try to run it — but for those who haven't or are curious as to what the update includes, below is the fix list from the developer.
- Vehicle collisions in online races handle high latency much better.
- X360 - Increased timeouts to allow for less network errors.
- Rating reset issues should be resolved.
- -100 Rating Penalty for players who quit races intentionally (even for router resets).
- Starlight Carnival - Road shader adjusted to prevent 'driving in the sky' issue.
- Super pick-ups in arenas should work in all cases now.
- Rare issue leaving players unable to return to lobby addressed.
- Tuned the difficulty of Traffic Attack, Ring Race, and certain Race events in World Tour.
- Corrected certain traffic attack gates not giving you extra time.
- Made the ‘Skip event after 3 failed events?’ option appear on all difficulties.
- Team Sonic - Made achievable in local gameplay so this is easier to get.
- Yokozuna - No longer unlocks when you only beat Sunshine Tour Expert Ghost.
- ‘Beat someone 500 points higher than you’ sticker no longer awarded unless criteria met.
- 'Meteor Strike' No longer triggers incorrectly.
- Time Attack – Multiple exploit fixes.
- Online play - Multiple exploit fixes.
- Co-op swap weapon slot now allows you to swap if you already have a weapon.
- Improved front end leaderboard caching.
- In-games triggers now handle physics tunnelling better for very fast players.
- incorrect HUD showing ‘Lap 2’ cases addressed.
- Improved motion controls for Wii-U
- Favourite character in license no longer incorrect.
- Hot-Rod physics effect in Arena's clamped.
- Occasionally being able to drive through Swarm attacks corrected.
- Announcer should now say correct finishing position in high latency games
- All-Star music volume level corrected
- Reverb effects removed when audio disabled.
There's one Wii U-specific fix, with improved motion controls, so let us know if you notice this or any other changes in the comments below.