Shigeru Miyamoto: Luigi's Mansion is Suitable As "Lighter Fare"

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

There are "quite a number of Luigi supporters internally, as well"

Yesterday we brought you the latest comments from Shigeru Miyamoto on the subject of his eventual retirement, and now GameSpot has released a larger chunk of its interview with the iconic Nintendo executive.

Looking at upcoming games, the ever-approaching Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was a key subject; the fact it's a focus is hardly surprising, especially as Miyamoto recently appeared with Satoru Iwata in a skit related to the game.

When asked about the loyal fanbase that seems to exist from the GameCube original, Miyamoto was thankful and explained some ways that he felt the spooky Luigi games differentiate themselves from other popular franchises.

The first thing I want to say is I'm very grateful to everybody who feels that way. There are actually quite a number of Luigi supporters internally, as well. And in fact the reason that we were able to do the Year of Luigi this year is because there were so many people who wanted to work on Luigi titles and it just, by coincidence turned out all of the projects they were working on ended up releasing this year.

When you have a meal in front of you, and you have people who eat meat or you have people who eat vegetables, there's sort of the main dish and then you might have a dessert or a salad. Luigi is green, so maybe he's kind of like a salad and right now it seems like people tend to like lighter fare. [Luigi] is a little weaker and timid and maybe people like timid things these days. I guess Link's green, too [laughs].

On the other hand, I do think that the world of Luigi's Mansion and sort of the kind of "scary feel" to the mansions and whatnot is something that has a big contrast to the Mario games, which obviously are very bright and more action-focused. So having that nice story that wraps around the Luigi games is something that perhaps lingers with people a little bit longer and when they think back and remember it, they think 'Oh, I want to experience that again.'

It should also be noted that, although involved and no-doubt over-seeing the project at an executive level, Miyamoto seemed keen to draw attention to the game's Western studio, Next Level Games, as well as the role of its younger producer, Kensuke Tanabe; Next Level Games has produced a few titles for Nintendo, including Punch Out!! on Wii.

The background for that is we've worked with Next Level Games for a number of years now and there's another producer internally at Nintendo who I've also worked with for a long time: Kensuke Tanabe. And he's been working with Next Level Games and has also worked on the Donkey Kong series. He was able to find Next Level Games and start working with them originally and help build that relationship that allowed us to work with them all these years.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon arrives in North America on 24th March and PAL regions on 28th March. Is this long-awaited sequel to the GameCube launch title on your wish-list, and do you agree with Miyamoto-san's comments on a desire for "lighter fare"? Let us know in the comments below.

[via uk.gamespot.com]

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

No, the desire is for something without Mario in the title, and something different at all, like Luigi's Mansion.
Sometimes I think Miyamoto's not aware of what gamers want, I think Nintendo fans are fine with Mario for now, and when in the so called Year of Luigi they announce Mario Golf, Mario & Luigi 4 and another Mario game for the eShop, you know there's something wrong in Nintendo these days.
Trust can't last forever Nintendo

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

@L-Lawliet
I always speak in my opinion, I meant "gamers" actually, at least not haters.
I like Nintendo more than others, far more, but I'm a gamer and I'm quite tired of playing non-main Mario games.
I'm not so badly interested in L'sM2 because I want something lighter, I am because I wish to play a Nintendo first class quality game.

erv

erv said:

I have very fond memories of the gamecube version. If I had a 3dsxl, I would pick this up in a heartbeat.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Can't wait for the sequel to one of my favorite games! March 24 seems so close now! :D

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

@Hyperstar96 Actually many Mario spinoffs while being good games, are far from the quality of the heavy hitters (Galaxys, etc...). Obviously there are awesome spinoffs but for each Mario & Luigi there is a Mario Party, Tennis, Olympic Games, Sports Mix...

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

If you can't tell by my avatar, I'm a big Luigi fan. I guess being a younger brother myself, a bit of an underdog and ignored in school, and loving the color green, I am drawn to Luigi more than Mario. Plus he jumps higher, so that's always a plus.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

To me, it does sound smart to release at least something different that would be at least a spin-off game like Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon aside from the whole mainstream Mario games we're always receiving. IMO, it would be nice to at least also see something along the lines of having maybe more spin-offs down the road by making like a Waluigi or Daisy game. I mean, a game like Super Princess Peach worked before, so what not something new? :/

LordessMeep

LordessMeep said:

Actually, Luigi's Mansion 2 has been on my wishlist since it was announced for the 3DS way back in 2011. The game was an instant system seller for me. It's a day one, midday (midnight to the US) buy for me.
I do agree with what Miyamoto said about the experience of a game - that's really why I kept returning to the original Luigi's Mansion over and over! :D

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I wouldn't call Luigi's Mansion "lighter fare" as it is actually deep in that you have to search all the little details in the game to find money and secrets and it's deeper than simple Mario platformers as a result. Miyamoto is right about the dark atmosphere attracting fans of the original to Dark Moon, though.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Man, Luigis Mansion is one of the few games I have ever replayed (specially because its short), I cant wait to see if this one is as good as the original.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

This game is shaping up to be the game Luigi's Mansion could have been (though I still loved the game anyway). Hopefully this series will become popular enough to where it will become a core franchise of Nintendo's.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I am really eager to play this game. It is shaping up to be better than I even thought it could be. Hopefully Nintendo will release a demo of it on the eshop but there most likely won't be one.

idork99

idork99 said:

Miyamoto's view makes sense to me. Ten years ago, I was that person spending countless hours playing the deepest game available at the time. Now that I'm older, it seems that I don't have the patience nor time to delve into a long 40+ hour adventure. Probably the reason I prefer my 3DS over any home console. I can play classics, plus any new game that doesn't take up a huge chunk of my daily life.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

@DestinyMan I believe the "lighter fare" quote is being taken out of context. Miyamoto was using a food analogy where Luigi is the salad that people are really into, salad being lighter fare, not Luigi himself.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Lighter fare? It's the exact opposite! Luigi's Mansion in particular has better atmosphere and deeper gameplay than a bubbly little Mario game I've played a zillion times before.

Retomplay

Retomplay said:

it's not as scary as the first one. this one has more humour than actual dark gameplay. luigi's mansion had no music aprt from the halls. and it was very dark in some rooms. that game was more for the feel than for the humour. this game is the opposite.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well, regardless of whether this new title is up on the scare factor or not, it looks pretty good. And I loved the original after I got it second-hand a year or two ago. So I'm grabbing this one. And Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. And that New Super Luigi U DLC, once I get the system and the game.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

kinda have to agree with the first comments i mean i think we gamers already had enough with the mario games mario this and mario that .-. so of course we would at least want something else so luigi it is :P

anyway cant wait to get this no more mario kart for a while :)

Henmii

Henmii said:

Hopefully Luigi's mansion 2 isn't that light! It should be as challenging as the original, not less!!

And what does he mean with all the Luigi games?! To my knowledge only Luigi's mansion 2 is coming, and Mario and Luigi 4 is centered around Luigi, but the rest is just Mario like always (Mario golf and Mario vs DK)!