Capcom Explains How DuckTales: Remastered Came To Be

Posted by Andy Green

"Frankly, you guys asked for it"

Capcom surprised many at PAX East by revealing that NES classic DuckTales would be receiving a HD remake under the guise of DuckTales: Remastered.

The company's senior vice president, Christian Svensson, has since taken to the Capcom Unity forum to explain why the publisher decided to embark on the remastering of one of its most treasured Disney games:

About two and a half years ago I started working toward this with Disney because people here kept asking for it (and because I'm a fan too). About a year and a half ago I completed the general outlines of the deal. Disney was on board (and really excited). I then sold the whole concept of the project to Japan as we took it through greenlight.

Of course, once the project was given approval Capcom set about looking for a developer. Svensson explained that Disney had the idea to bring WayForward Technologies on board, due to its creative director Matt Bozon's love for the original:

Matt Bozon is a star and their experience with Shantae, Contra 4 and Mighty Switch Force made them the right choice. Jake K. ("Virt") on the music was also a deal sealer for us. They've been wonderful to work with and we've kept this title very underwraps, even internally.

We reported yesterday that Rey Jimenez, the producer of DuckTales: Remastered, said if the remake was a success, there could be more remastered Capcom-Disney titles in the pipeline. Svensson responded to this by saying:

I'd like to not get ahead of ourselves. I'm thrilled at the fan response this morning but for the moment, we're going to stay focused on making this project a success. If it works, we can think about other opportunities later but let's not put the cart before the horse.

Are you looking forward to downloading DuckTales: Remastered from the Wii U eShop? Let us know by dropping a comment below.

[via capcom-unity.com, gonintendo.com]

fxtek76

fxtek76 said:

This news made my day... Now lets start the list... Darkwing Duck.. Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers and Tailspin please

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Hmm I must have been screaming "I WANT STRIDER III!" for the past decade wrong, since they didn't heard me yet...

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

Shiryu, I'm gonna immediately SECOND that! HD Arcade Strider please!!! There is hope though. It doesn't seem like Capcom is putting any constraints on which HD remakes they do. Ducktales here and Dungeons and Dragons arcade there (which is flippin AWESOME, BTW). I gotta think Strider would be high on their list of HD remakes looking down the road. Strider is Capcom's Boba Fett!

mattatron

mattatron said:

Wayford is making some fantastic games, they are quickly becoming one my favorite developers.

Jack_Package

Jack_Package said:

Interesting that Disney are 'really excited'. I guess they think a videogame could get people interested in DuckTales again.

Someone needs to call the people who own Battletoads.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Interesting that Disney had so much excitement and was the first to suggest WayForward.

Emaan

Emaan said:

WayForward is perfect for the job, I'm glad Disney suggested them.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Other Disney/Capcom games that I listed before:

The Little Mermaid
Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers
TaleSpin
Darkwing Duck
Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers 2
Duck Tales 2
Goof Troop (Shinji Mikami's first game!)
Magical Quest
Magical Quest 2
Magical Quest 3
Aladdin

And I would get them all.

BrightBeing

BrightBeing said:

I first got news of this yesterday. I have to admit, a tear or two was shed when I saw the trailer. I can still hardly believe it.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Day one purchase for me. I fired up the NES version yesterday in anticipation!

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

The best gaming news I have heard in a long time. Day one purchase for me.

Cirno

Cirno said:

They should make make a double SNES/Genesis Aladdin remastered. But being sensible, it will probably only be one of those 2.

TravisTouchdown

TravisTouchdown said:

Sure would be nice if we got other games from Capcom that we asked for. Like say, oh I dunno, Mega Man Legends 3 or Aliens vs. Predator Arcade for example.