Yes, Retro City Rampage Has A Release Date

Posted by Andy Green

The WiiWare wait will finally be over

Retro City Rampage has been eluding us for as long as we can remember. It sees you play as the bad guy in an open-world 8-bit environment and has been out on PC and PlayStation Network for a while now.

Unfortunately the WiiWare version has been delayed more than a few times, leaving some to speculate that it would never actually happen. However, the developer behind the game, Vblank Entertainment, has now confirmed that it will be available for download on 28th February in both North America and Europe.

The WiiWare version has received a few tweaks here and there, and is an improved version of the title found on previous platforms. Since we've all been so patient, the developer has also added ROM City Rampage to the package; a 1980s-style prototype version of the game that's NES hardware-accurate.

Retro City Rampage will set your account back 1000 Nintendo Points and will support the Wii Remote, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro and the GameCube controller. If you go with the Wii Remote you can use it to pick up and throw objects with a flick of the wrist — it's optional, of course.

Naturally, just because this is WiiWare doesn't mean Wii U owners should miss out; don't forget, you can gain access to the Wii Shop through the Wii Channel on the Wii U's main hub.

It looks as though Retro City Rampage will be WiiWare's swansong. Are you looking forward to finally being able to download it? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I'm kinda interested in this version now due to the exclusive NES mode. Sounds cool

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I could get it on PS3 but I've had the points just sitting on my Wii Shop Channel for ages. I'll download it on WiiWare for that reason and the aforementioned ^ NES mode. Besides, RCR is free to PS Plus members.

NImH

NImH said:

...Kinda surprised to see this as a Wiiware release. I had convinced myself that it was being delayed forever because they were gonna surprise us with a WiiU version. Oh well... That's my bad.
I just really hope Ninty develops some sort of patch that better merges the Wii and Wii U. It feels sorta sad and lonely on my Wii homescreen without a Wara Wara plaza.

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Took so darn long. I downloaded to my 360 a while back. I waited for it for a couple years....haven't spent much time on it actually. Was alittle disappointed.

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

Like many here, I have been waiting on this one for years. Despite the mixed reviews from the other systems, I will still be getting this.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Not sure if I want this via WiiWare any longer. Free for PS+ members, sale coming on Steam (plus it's being updated with the "exclusive" ROM mode), and the fact that on WiiWare the game will never sell enough to see returns while on other platforms the developer actually gets paid - even though I'm paying less.

That said... it would be more convenient for me to play on WiiWare.

Draken18

Draken18 said:

It's nice to see this game finally making it's Wiiware appearance, tried the demo on PS3, will more than likely be downloading the Wiiware version.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@Joshers744 According to Interplay's develpment page, they're making a ClayFighter game for DSiWare, but who knows if it will ever see the light of day, as well?

odd69

odd69 said:

ugh, why couldnt they gave us ps3 adopters a less broke game. I guess it was my fault for Not waiting to get it on Wii. Oh well enjoy this wiiware players, its awesome and fun and HARD.

fredtoy

fredtoy said:

I almost got it on GOG.com this week. I'm glad that I didn't. Next week I'll get it on WiiWare. =D

luminalace

luminalace said:

When this game fails to sell well, the developers better not use the system as an excuse. I would have bought this game had it been on Wii U or even 3DS but my Wiiware days are over.

Omega

Omega said:

I surely buy this game but not now. There are many other WiiWare games that I'm interested in.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Blech, such a long wait and now I feel it should've been an eShop release. Would have been cool to play it on the GamePad.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

@SirQuincealot #13 ''Will this get a 3ds release? games like this seem better suited towards portable consoles''
I agree! Sadly, there's nothing planned. If I had a Vita I would've gotten it on that.
I'm happy with my GOG.com purchase. It's a fun game, if not perfect!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I played the game a bit on PC & kinda found it lacking somehow... I'll probably still get this on WiiWare on the basis of supporting the developer & so I can play it on the TV.

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

will this game come to wii u eshop or will i have to buy it though the wii channel?

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

WiiWare? So the game will be annoying to access due to having to enter Wii Mode. That's a shame as I'd probably get it if it were just on the e-shop.

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

surely theyll realease it on e-shop too seems very silly for it to just be wii ware

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I'm glad it will only be 1000 points. Six months ago I would have gladly spent 1500 but after all the delays, I really feel Nintendo fans that have held out for this version deserve a discount.

Austroid

Austroid said:

Horrah! Been looking forward to this ever since Nintendo Power did ongoing coverage about all the references you'll find and some of the missions you'll do. (R.I.P. NP sob)

AtomicToaster

AtomicToaster said:

It's funny how Nintendo and retro inspired indie games often take a long time or never come to a Nintendo system! Here's hoping it isn't like that in the future!

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

Finally, this game has a release date. I'm wondering how many people will actually download this game or...quite frankly, if they still care to play it. It's been delayed way too many times and I feel it will hurt the sales that it could potentially earn.