Cars Confirmed As Another Disney Infinity Play Set

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Parents, hide your wallets!

Ahead of the summer release of Disney Infinity on Wii U, 3DS and Wii, we can expect Disney to continually reveal more details about the optional extras that we'll be able to buy. Like Activision's Skylanders series, there'll be all manner of toys that unlock characters, as well as other add-ons that'll act as buffs for your characters. The most expensive additions will be Play Sets — at $34.99 in the U.S. — and Disney has today confirmed a new play set that will be available separately from the Starter Pack; it'll be for the popular film franchise Cars.

In the structured Play Set area in the game — which will contain a story and various challenges and puzzles — the player will "enter the virtual world of Radiator Springs, where they will prepare the town for a big international racing event". There will be customisation available in that world, but the true sand-box area that allows freedom is the Toy Box, with this set allowing track pieces and car racing gameplay options to be added to this user-created portion.

Naturally this set will also open up an increased role for characters such as Lightning McQueen, Mater, Holley Shiftwell and Francesco Bernoulli. It's still a little unclear if any of these toy figurines are included with the Play Set, or whether they come separately — previous confirmed pricing listed individual character toys at $12.99 or three packs for $29.99. We've sought clarification and will update this article if we receive confirmation.

Cars is a particularly successful franchise, so it's no surprise that it'll be joining those already confirmed: Monsters University, Pirates of the Caribbean and The Incredibles. Are you pleased about this news, and are you intending to dive into Disney Infinity and its various toys/accessories this summer? Let us know in the comments below.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Bambi
Pinocchio
Cinderella
Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs
Dumbo
Fantasia

It's too bad Disney doesn't have any great classic movies to put in Disney Infinity.

Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
Lion King

It's too bad Disney doesn't have any favorite kids movies to put in Disney Infinity

Mickey Mouse
Donald Duck
Pluto
Goofy

It's too bad Disney doesn't have any world renowned mascots to put in Disney Infinity.

Belle
Snow White
Cinderella
Ariel

It's too bad Disney doesn't own any female characters to put in DIsney Infinity.

What was the name of this game again?

cammy

cammy said:

My son will be pleased. Though I would love to see some classics like Alice in Wonderland (which was hinted at in the original trailer).

Svengoolie

Svengoolie said:

You know, I'm really into the concept of Disney Infinity, but it seems like they're afraid to make playsets of actual good Disney movies. It's all Pixar crap + Pirates. And not even the good Pixar movies either.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Indeed, I'm waiting for play sets which cover some original Disney franchises. So many possibilities!

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

It wasn't confirmed before?

Anyways, this is meh. As far as Pixar goes, i'd rather see the trilogy as I refer to it (Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up) and the characters that were written out of Toy Story.

Placlu

Placlu said:

@rjejr It's a Kids game for kids that the oldest movie they've seen is Toy Story. They will make more money that way.

fortius54

fortius54 said:

I am looking forward to Infinity, but I can echo a lot of people's comments on here. Cars has had its share of games. This is not on the top of my list at the moment especially at $35. I, too, would rather see something from the Disney library as opposed to Pixar.

I think Disney will need to revisit the pricing structure as well. $12.99 for individuals is a rough price point. I am hoping as with Skylanders there will be a good deal of "Buy one get one half" and so on. I guess I should hold final judgement to the end, but that seems fairly steep.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

@rjejr you do realize that there's still several months before this game releases? Meaning its still in development. They're probably still developing more stuff for this game because there's SO many different Disney movies. So seriously, give it time for the other series, don't assume they're abandoning them for the more modern movies.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Pixar seems to be dominating the game at the moment, but give it time and the Disney classics will be featured as well.

I'm interested in Disney Infinity, but with so many Nintendo games coming this year and especially this summer, I could wait. At least if I do wait, then more and more characters and worlds will be added to it so that when I do come around to get it, then there will be a good variety of characters and worlds to choose from.

NocturnalYoshi

NocturnalYoshi said:

Though I doubt it will happen, I want the characters from Disney's Dinosaur in this game. Aladar and Meera, etc. Dinosaur is my all-time favorite Disney movie. Probably won't happen, but hey, I can dream. :)

fortius54

fortius54 said:

I hate to steal thunder from Warren Spector, but this looks like an ideal game for Ducktales. I want GizmoDuck. I think the toy box idea is great, but I hope there is some substance to the adventure side of things. For $35.00, I do not think that is a whole lot to ask for.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

As if Cars didn't get way too much spotlight already. Cashcow-wise, this movie is Disney's own Call Of Duty. Hopefully, Cars 2's abysmal reception taught Disney that something shouldn't be dragged like that, but that'd be wishful thinking. Oh well.

Brotagonist

Brotagonist said:

I really hope we get some classic Disney or Mickey. It makes sense to market Pixar, and I know Cars is a gigantic moneymaker, but come on, stuff like Snow White made Disney who they are! Kingdom Hearts would be cool too.

The-Chosen-one

The-Chosen-one said:

i want nintendo to contact disney, and make it happen, to put mario in this game as a playable character, if that happens this game will sell like bread straight from the oven lol

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

At least Wreck-It Ralph (no, I'm not referring to the character with the movie's title, it's actually his full name) is in!

SneakyStyle

SneakyStyle said:

At first I thought there was nothing to this game other then messing around with toys... But after looking into it more i'm amazed at what you can do in the ''Toy Box'' Mode....

It IS unbelievable the customization available, no only do you build areas from nothing you can add mechanics/functions/triggers etc to anything in the area, so you can re-create old games via the pieces and the right mechanics. For example you can make a top down brawler game creating spawn points for monsters/players, or you can make a side scrolling fighting game by changing certain camera angles and adding the correct mechanics.

You can be simple with it or do almost anything a simple developing tool would have. If it truely turns out like this it will go far as a franchise.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

Disney, please stop being ashamed of Gargoyles and put it in one of these multi-franchise products (this, Kingdom Hearts).