Trine 2: Director's Cut Update Now Live In Europe

Posted by Damien McFerran

Download it while it's hot

Trine 2: The Director's Cut has been updated in Europe by developer Frozenbyte.

Frozenbyte confirmed the update was coming when we spoke to them last year, and more recently stated that it should be arriving this month.

We can confirm that the update is now live in Europe, as we've just downloaded it to our Wii U console. The process took under five minutes.

Here's what the update includes:

• Corrects the gamma settings
  • German voice acting
  • Wii U Pro Controller support
  • Voice chat options

Let us know once you've downloaded it and tell us what you think.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Hooray.
Now I can actually start playing it.
Going to download it now.

erv

erv said:

It's the gamma correction I'm looking forward to the most.

This game is very good, I've enjoyed the first stages in three player mode a lot.

fluggy

fluggy said:

Thank god controller pro support included. Nope ninety take note and allow a Mario u pro cont update too. Its exclusion was baffling!!!

BenAV

BenAV said:

@Mario_Party_Fan_999 I downloaded it when it came out in Europe despite being in Australia.
It's just like when a game isn't released here in the 3DS eShop with just a little more effort involved.

Shanksta

Shanksta said:

@fluggy I don't know about most other people, but I wouldn't play New Super Mario Bros U with an analog stick. I guess if thats your thing then it would be helpful.

JoelFB

JoelFB said:

Hey guys, Joel from Frozenbyte here. I just wrote this for NeoGAF so I will copy it here:

• Update released in Europe
  • Australia & New Zealand release date set to January 31 (Thursday)
  • Australia & New Zealand launch discount and other details to be announced next week

Update contents: The update includes support for the Wii U Pro Controller, Voice Chat for online multiplayer, German vocals, improved graphics rendering and a bunch of minor gameplay features and fixes.

North American update is coming "soon" - we'll have to wait and see how long that turns out to be, but I'm reasonably hopeful it won't be too long now either.

So there we go. Sorry again for the long delay with the update and also AU&NZ release, it's taken way longer than we were anticipating, but at least it's the home stretch now! We're very interested to hear feedback on the update, the graphics alone should elicit some comments. :) (Although I'm sure that such a drastic change may also get some negative feedback - in that case try turning the Brightness sliders all the way to the right.)

I hope this helps! :)

Best,
Joel
Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2: Director's Cut

soracloud28

soracloud28 said:

Joel you are the best. Thank you for taking such an interest in what your fans think and feel about your game. I will continue to buy your products unil I am bankrupt or dead

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

@JoelFB
Hello, thank you Joel, I have some questions:

• is it possible to use the Gamepad mic for the voice chat?
  • my Wii U freezed two times in a row when I tried to join a friend of mine in a coop session, is this issue Nintendo's fault or was it due to the game's net code?
    Thank you, and sorry for my poor english, Im from Italy XD
PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

How nice of the guy from frost bite to do that thank you very much Joel. And what an excellent game to made even better cheers

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Coolio, us Aussies get a discount! Was looking to get this anyway, but I do love a bargain!

erv

erv said:

@JoelFB Trine 2 is a great game. Love the local three player mode as it's loads of fun.

Glad you decided to make it good instead of just quick :)

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

I do have one question for Joel did u fix the jump mechanic as it doesn't feel as floaty but it might just be me lol

JoelFB

JoelFB said:

Thanks guys. :)

@PinkSpider I don't think there's any specific jump mechanic fixes, but some of the other minor fixes may affect it of course... but could be just in your mind. :)

@SuperCharlie78 the online multiplayer freeze has probably been fixed in this update. Not 100% sure but very likely (or if not in this, then in the next one).

The GamePad mic can be used for Voice Chat. It works quite well. Also headphones are supported. The only thing that isn't supported at the moment is audio output and Voice Chat channel separation - so all audio comes from the same source (either TV and/or GamePad, or headphones)... we might add an option for that later.

Hope this helps, glad to hear the feedback. :)

• Joel, Frozenbyte
SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

Thank you very much, Joel!
Ok, I suppose I'll give it a try tonight, even if I'm pretty worried when my console freezes :(
Anyway, I will be the one to host lol

The gamepad mic for the voice chat is big news, I'm very happy to hear that, and I'm sure I should be fine with the audio coming from the same source, but any other fix is welcome.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Oooh, a discount sounds good! :) Hopefully it will run a couple of weeks so I won't miss out by not having my GamePad.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Cool to see a member of a development team concerned about his customers product. I have enjoyed Trine 2 and have not had issue's myself. But I am glad you have attempted to fix known problems. @Supercharlie78 Your english is much better than many people I know, and I live in the USA, lol.

JAPBOO

JAPBOO said:

does anyone knows what the "gamma correction" is about, I downloaded it since release but played just a little, graphics seems great for me, no need for correction....

fluggy

fluggy said:

@Shanksta @Shanksta
I wouldnt play it with an analogue stick either. Pro controller has a very nice d-pad 2. Find it Really odd and unacceptable that I bought a nice new ninty controller that I can't use for Mario.

Shanksta

Shanksta said:

@fluggy True, I guess ergonomically it would feel more comfortable to have a controller with arms rather than the wii remote. Regardless of whether you're using the analog stick or dpad.

PopeReal

PopeReal said:

yeah what is the gamma correction? and glad it will support the pro controller when we get the update here :)

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

@JoelFB I have been wondering for some time when we were gonna get Trine 2, our eShop is very slow at getting european and NA games. I'm glad you're bringing your game to our shores here in NZ, a lot of developers forget we're even a country when it comes to localisation (same with australia). Thank you very much, I'll be downloading my second eshop game (after balloon fight) next Friday.

DePapier

DePapier said:

...How can I download the update, actually? Do I have to go to the eShop or do I have to launch the game for that? Because I did both and I had no notifications.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@DePapier It updates when you open the game. I had to drop out and open it a second time to trigger the download. Hope this helps!

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

I absolutely LOVE Trine2. This update makes the game loads better as now I can chat to my friends and use my pro controller at last!

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

@JAPBOO from Joe Kane, who produces a range of TV Calibration discs gamma is defined as:-

Gamma The light output of a CRT is not linear with respect to the voltage input. This non-linearity follows an exponential function that is known as gamma. The camera has the inverse gamma of the CRT so that the resulting stage light input to CRT light output transfer will be somewhat linear, given the restrictions of the video system.

For CRT read HDTV - it's an old definition.

Clear now? It more or less boils down to if gamma is incorrect images may look too dark, or washed out.