Nintendo Rewarding Millionaire Coin Collectors In New Super Mario Bros. 2

Posted by Orla Madden

Global coin total hits a staggering 500 billion

There's no denying that most of us have checked into therapy to overcome our coin collecting addiction in New Super Mario Bros. 2, and with the global coin total hitting an incredible 500 billion, Nintendo Australia has a reward for players who have become coin millionaires in the popular platformer.

So, millionaires, what do you get? Nintendo has an exclusive New Super Mario Bros. 2 certificate to honour those that have spent copious amounts of times collecting coins. All you have to do is take a photo of yourself and your Nintendo 3DS screen showing your 1 million coin tally and submit it to the official website as proof that you have earned your certificate.

Players have until March 31st to submit their entries, but until then, for those of you that need to reach the million coin total can download the Gold Classics Pack for Coin Rush Mode, featuring courses based on the original Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3. You have until January 31st to download this course pack for free.

So what are you waiting for? Get collecting!

[via gamesites.nintendo.com.au]

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

this really needs to come to Europe too; i'd love to have a certificate

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

Yikes! I'd better get on it!
And I'm glad we get an exclusive for once... Club Ninty AU suck...

sonicriders

sonicriders said:

Well, first of all I need New Super Mario Bros. 2......

Then I'm going to need to take a few months off.....

Haywired

Haywired said:

I completed this game a little while ago. So, what actually happens in the game if you get 1 million coins? While I was playing it (and thoroughly enjoying it I should add) I was always assuming that all the coin collecting would become important or relevant at some point, but it never happened. It seemed that apart from the 1 million total (which I was so far off even after full completion and had so little interest in getting to), it was all completely pointless.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Or you could just hang the photo of you self and your 1 million coins on the wall, same thing as a certificate with only half the effort.

Too bad they couldn't come up with anything useful for those who have made it to 1 million coins, like, IDK, a free DL pack perhaps?

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

A certificate? That's borderline offensive, Nintendo. Give them a free DLC pack or something, sheeeeesh.

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

"There's no denying that most of us have checked into therapy to overcome our coin collecting addiction in New Super Mario Bros. 2"

What? I can handle the puns on this website, but hyperbole like this is getting a bit ridiculous. Some of these articles seem to read like Nintendo marketing...

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Is this just Australia?? I think it's a pretty neat idea actually! Maybe I'm just a more positive kind of guy but I think it would be a neat thing to collect with the rest of my Nintendo stuff.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Do they have any special reward for the few gamers that got 9,999,999 coins and the second alternate title-screen that unlocks alongside it?

Ya know, even though I'm not Australian or anything.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

Instead of some certificate, it would be a lot better imo if Nintendo did something similar to when they gave Club Nintendo members here in North America that Mario trophy with Mario , Luigi , Peach , Yoshi , Toad & Bowser on it about I think it was, like a year or almost 2 years ago. Almost like a New Super Mario Bros. 2 themed one in this kind of mini congratulations to all who collected over 1,000,000 coins. Sucks though that all the North American gamers over here don't get nothing for it like how Australian gamers are getting something at least for the efforts. True, I may be a bit jealous, but congrats to anyone in Australia who earned it.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Only two days left to get that one pack for free? Forgot about that, thought it went into February. Still need to pick this game up.... but man I hate DLC. Really hoping they do a Game of the Year Edition for both this and Theatrerhythm with all DLC included. I just really cannot stand buying something that isn't all there.

As for the award, that's nice and all, but I would rather have like 50 free Club Nintendo points or something. Good to see people are playing the game though.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

Finally! A exclusive for Nintendo AU!

Also stop your sulking, If you dont like the idea of getting a certificate then dont bother participating... Nintendo NA Has had their good share of exclusives as well.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

so all you get is some crappy certificate thing which you are inevitably going to just toss somewhere and forget about? that's really un-inspiring. how about bonus levels, or a whole bonus world in the game, or at least a cool figurine from the game or something.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@CosmiC

I don't think it's more of a thing of sulking about this. I'm just saying like a New Super Mario Bros. 2 themed kind of mini trophy or something close to that would be better. Besides, something like a certificate is a bit easy to have misplaced, lost or destroyed by accident.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

500 billion? And only Australia's celebrating? C'mon NOA and NOE, jump on the band wagon why don't ya?

superluigiworld

superluigiworld said:

I have more than 1,000,000 coins and let me tell you this, right when your about to get it your all like :D and stuff but then you realize oh no now I have to get to 9,999,999!!! see what I mean. On my profile I have 5 stars they mean 1: crown lives 1,110 lives 2: all levels done 3: all star coins found 4: I don't remember. 5: I don't remember!