Fire Emblem: Awakening Features Both English And Japanese Voice Tracks

Posted by Orla Madden

One language or another

It has been highlighted that the upcoming US version of Fire Emblem: Awakening features both English and Japanese audio tracks. Our very own Jon Wahlgren - who is currently hidden away reviewing the game for you lovely readers - can confirm this option is available.

It hasn't been confirmed if the option to choose the original Japanese voice actors will be available for the EU version, although the choice would be nice.

Fire Emblem: Awakening will release across North America on 4th February for the 3DS, with a demo arriving today - and with its release comes a gorgeous blue Fire Emblem 3D. Europeans will have to wait until April to play the anticipated RPG, and as far as we know, without the special bundle. Boo.

What do you think of the option to choose between Japanese and English? Will you use Japanese, or stick with the English-speaking actors?

[via siliconera.com]

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

Im so curious for that game already dammit it's a long wait until april here in europe... and I'd mostly go for english language, as much as I love original voice acting, if something like this is fully voiced, I want to be able to understand it, I just hope it's well done voice acting!

Millenia

Millenia said:

Oh my gosh, wow!! This is fantastic news! More games should have this option! :3 I consider myself a purist, so I will be taking advantage of this feature.

WildMan

WildMan said:

I suppose it's nice having the option, but I'd just stick with English.

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

Games dubbed only in Japanese with english/other subtitles, most gamers: "WHY CAN'T THEY DUB IT IN ENGLISH?!?!"

Game has the option of choosing between english/other and Japanese, most gamers: "I'm going for the Japanese DUB!!!"

See the issue here?

pashaveliki

pashaveliki said:

Ill stick to Japanese because I often read faster than the voice acting and end up clicking through it. It is less annoying if the speech fragment is not in a language I understand

Ignatius_Cheese

Ignatius_Cheese said:

Any chance of getting confirmation out of Nintendo UK/EU as to whether the Japanese voices will be included in the EU release?

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

English...and i can't wait for the demo today. I checked this morning but to no avail. I have my 3DS at work with wifi in the building so i'll be getting it as soon as it becomes available. Can't wait!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I'm often too tired to read when I play games at night but its a nice feature to have. I'll probably check it out once or twice.

FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT said:

There was a time (PS2 era) when a LOT of RPG's had this option. I'm glad to see it make a resurgence! I don't know any japanese, so it all sounds like good voice acting to me.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@dudey300: "3DS" is misspelled in "and with its release comes a gorgeous blue Fire Emblem 3D". :O

Anywho, I'm excited for this game. I don't understand Japanese, so I'll stick with the English.

Lan

Lan said:

Hate when people who don't know a single word of Japanese cream themselves over a Japanese voice option.

Bankai

Bankai said:

Love when westerners assume that the only language native English speakers understand is English.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

As someone who played the game for endless amounts of hours, I can say the voice acting is superb. I honestly can't imagine the characters speaking anything other than their original Japanese voices. They chose very talented voice actors for this title. :)

Rekiotsu

Rekiotsu said:

I would love the option to choose the Japanese voice track, since I love that language, plus I prefer the original anyway.

ueI

ueI said:

If Nintendo expected Japanese speakers to play the North American or European version, they would offer Japanese text. While there are obviously some westerners familiar with the Japanese language, they are in the minority. Voice acting done in the native language of a region just makes the most sense.
@LZBirdboi I couldn't even tell what "gorgeous blue Fire Emblem 3D" was supposed to mean until after I clicked the link.

Weedy

Weedy said:

I hope we get English dub in the EU. Just playing through Virtues Last Reward and wishing they'd given me the English dub like they got in the US.

Even if someone says the voice acting is better in Japanese that makes no difference to me; I'm a unilingaul neanderthal!

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

That's nice, pleasing both sides. Personally I prefer english dubbed over japanese audio. it helps give me more of a feel for the story and the character with the way they talk in a language I am familar with and what they really say in combat. There's other reasons but I see this topic is culturally sensitive so I'll leave it at that ;)

Some people comments got me thinking, can someone who only knows english
tell the difference between good and bad japanese voice acting?

Doma

Doma said:

Nice. I hope there's an option to mute them also.

When do we get the demo in EU?

Doma

Doma said:

@0LD_SK0OL_PUNK Are you familiar with something called IN-GAME OPTIONS? try and guess why i'd prefer that than having to mute the (usually awesome) music/everything else.

I'm not saying VA itself will be bad for sure, though the in-battle chanting i've heard in the JPN version sounds fairly irritating to me. That's personal taste, try not to take offense, dude.

KAHN

KAHN said:

i wasn't trying to be offensive myself (just heavy sarcasm), but i fear that might have, so i apologize. i played the demo earlier today, i think there is a such option, and i'm pretty sure most games are accompanied by those options anyway. i'm not sure if it's different outside the states, but whatever.

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

This is amazing news. In my humble opinion, the original Japanese voices are almost always superior to the American ones--The soon-to-be-out Ni No Kuni for PS3 is going to feature this, and now this game. Thrilled to hear it, and personally I think it should be a feature in most every Japanese-made game that has a lot of VA work.

Doma

Doma said:

@0LD_SK0OL_PUNK Yeah, well sorry for the overreacted comment then.
I wouldn't know if the option was common, since i haven't played many JPN games with voice acting. It's something i couldn't care less about in a FE game.

Zyph

Zyph said:

They only mentioned the audio tracks. Will it include english subtitles for the cut-scenes?

Tantan

Tantan said:

I like both English and japanese voices but would prefer the english. Especially if the characters themselves don't look Japanese...