Give Your Wii U A Retro Makeover With This NES Skin

Posted by Damien McFerran

Beauty is only skin deep

The Wii U is an attractive system - a little too prone to picking up fingerprints perhaps, but aesthetically pleasing all the same. However, if it's just not "Nintendo" enough for you in its present guise, then you could slap this NES skin on it.

Available in a gloss or matte finish, this skin will transform your shiny new console into something which looks straight outta 1985. There are also other options available, too.

[via decalgirl.com]

Lobster

Lobster said:

I was just looking at this yesterday!

Edit: Btw, I used decalgirl to skin my Wii and Wiimotes so they stood out from my friends', back when it was all white all the time. They are quality skins.

Schprocket

Schprocket said:

@Lan Maybe something like "Intendo" would have attracted too much attention from the Hounds of Litigation... ;)

Shugo

Shugo said:

I still use their old "Revolution Entertainment System" vertical skin on my Wii. I really wish they had just done that again for the Wii U; I have mine standing vertically.

And I also agree that the "Retro" logo ruins it. "Revolution Entertainment System" was kinda classy and fitting; "Retro" is just dorky. I wish they had options to customize the skin.

abINC4L

abINC4L said:

Dammit! And I just bought a cover for my GamePad, hmm, this is something I'll definitely want to get in the future (maybe next month). I want a matte one, the one shown here looks the best out of the ones I've seen so far.

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

Anyone know if it is hard plastic off a soft plastic. And does it come off and on without damaging your console, it does not have any info really on the page

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

That's awesome! I wonder if there will be an SNES-themed skin? I would pay tons for that!

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

For those of you who don't like the "Retro," here's another option.
Untitled

And THIS is the one I'll likely be getting. The premium Wii U bundle was the one with all the features I wanted, but I wanted the white console. So this will be my compromise. Similarly, there is a black one, if you have the white and wanted black.
Untitled

nocode

nocode said:

@Jellitoe Its a soft vinyl skin that is very easy to remove. It won't leave anything behind on the console. However these skins are very hard to remove without stretching and ruining them. So once its on there, leave it alone unless you're just going to trash it.

I've owned both the matte and glossy versions for the original wii and I definitely recommend the matte. The glossy is just too shiny and stands out too much.

These skins also require alot of patience. I bough DS skins from this site too a while back and it was a real pain to line it up around the buttons. Getting everything to line up perfectly is a challenge and it never looks as good as the pics on the website.

BossBattles

BossBattles said:

I don't understand why nintendo have failed to give us this NES design for a limited edition DS or 3DS, like with the gameboy advance SP.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Playing Nes games with that skin is a must for retro fans, but they have other skins that look so great, IDK, but don't forget a screen protector I keep telling everyone of my friends that has a Wii U

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

This is real neat! Although, I wish I knew of these skins before buying that Gamestop exclusive Super Mario theme on the US launch Wii U week...
Oh well. I'll still get one on this skins anyway. The variety is nice!

adrenochrome

adrenochrome said:

@ rogerwilco : so there's no adhesive substance on it ? it's sticking on it's own because of his shape (like original wiimote protections) ?

ok, found the info :

it's not at all like a thin wiimote protection, it's more some kind of gummy stickers :/
it must be really difficult to cover perfectly the corners of the gamepad with this kind of sticker

Doge

Doge said:

My life is complete.... at least it would be if it didn't say retro on it... that totally ruins the look

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@HawkeyeWii I have this on my regular Wii and it wasn't too difficult to put on. The thing is to take your time and don't rush. Follow the instructions and proceed slowly. Mine turned out great!

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Wow! These may be the first skins I ever get. I love that NES skin, actually both are pretty good. I wish my 3DS XL had the NES grey scheme too. I just wish this was the way they came from Nintendo themselves. Well, these skins are tempting, but I'm not sure about the permanence.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Yes, the "Retro" skin looks far better than the "Retro Horizontal" skin shown in the article above.

I don't usually care for this stuff, but... maybe.

RyanDG

RyanDG said:

@NIntendoForever - thx for the feedback (and everyone else who chimed in). I worked with our design team yesterday to remove the word "Retro" and bring the design a little closer to the original NES. We've updated the pictures on the site and posted a large photo of the "Retro" one on my Wii U right on the list page. Our customer service team was reaching out to anyone who ordered yesterday to give them the option of switching to the new version at no extra charge. :)

GumbyX84

GumbyX84 said:

I bought a NES skin for my GBA SP and it looks great. Sadly I suck at putting these on so I doubt I'll ever be buying one again. I destroyed the one I got for my DS Lite.

RyanDG

RyanDG said:

@GumbyX84 - The DS Lite is much harder to put on than the Wii U. You know if you botch installing it, you can get a free replacement for the cost of shipping, right?

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

I wish I had a discount code for this! I want to get Blue Quantum Waves but with a discount!