New Super Mario Bros. 2 DLC Grabs North American Coins on 4th October

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

See Reggie's Nintendo Direct 'Mini' debut

Earlier today Nintendo of Europe released a translated version of the weekend's Japanese Nintendo Direct Mini, with details of the New Super Mario Bros. 2 Coin Rush DLC that's already available for download in the region. Nintendo of America has now joined in with its own video, though its gamers will need to wait until 4th October to get the extra course packs, priced at $2.50 each. There's no combo pack, but apart from that the details and content are the same.

• #1: Gold Rush Pack (one star difficulty) — $2.50
  • #2: Coin Challenge Pack A (three star difficulty) — $2.50
  • #3: Nerve-Wrack Pack (five star difficulty) — $2.50

Nintendo is planning to release more Coin Rush packs at the end of October and at the end of November, so there's plenty more still to come. You can check out NoA boss Reggie Fils-Aime's broadcast with full details in the video below.

Beta

Beta said:

Why are the stuff in NoA always cheaper than in the UK? I have always wondered that. I mean, it costs 2 GBP which is equal $3, isn't that right?

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

Those who say they are too expensive: What realistic price point would you prefer? I suppose $1.99, but then we are complaining about .50 cents. C'mon. I am not saying they should raid our funds like the taxman, but the price isn't bad. Perhaps a complete package discount would be nice, like getting all three for $6

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

$2.50? Kind of a ripoff, considering the core game has 80 levels for $40. The packs should only be $1.50.

Mollutje

Mollutje said:

Hm.. interesting.. wonder if they'll stop after three batches.. Can't see how they'd keep 'em fresh

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

50 cents seems silly to quibble over, but... getting all three, that's $7.50 instead of $6. It starts to add up, especially for those of us who have very tight budgets. I really think Nintendo should bundle the packs together for us at a discount...

Well, I'll probably download anyways, I doubt they'll ever go down in price...

AddADashOfSalt

AddADashOfSalt said:

I'll get them... as long as I get a Wii U for Christmas, because if I don't I'll get one anyway and use up all my money

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

Hmm... I might pick up one of these, just not sure which one. The first one sounds too easy, but I am also not sure I am skilled enough to handle the "Nerve Wrack Pack." I guess I know which pack I'll be trying after all.

Shane904

Shane904 said:

@Blizzaga +1

I don't think I'm going to be getting any unless I happen to get a points card for my birthday (on the 4th actually).

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

More at the end of october and more at the end of november? Cool beans!

2.50$ is tad more then I would like but definitely getting nerve wrack and Challenge A.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well, I have enough for one pack as of this writing. Ain't gonna get the other two until something else comes out in the eShop for me to purchase.

Nardar

Nardar said:

Nerve Wrack Pack hear I come. I just love challenging levels and that is why Lost Levels is one of my top 5 favorite Mario games! I have 1 Million already so I might not get all of em.

b_willers

b_willers said:

Anybody know if these levels save to the cart or SD card, and if the new levels will work if you play on another system?

Bane

Bane said:

Just watched the video and the Nerve Wrack package looks so frickin hard!
I never knew that there would be more DLC besides these :D

Emaan

Emaan said:

I wish they had a combo available to get all 3 packs for a little less, but oh well. They still look like a lot of fun. I might just get the gold rush one with all the coins, and the difficult one. Good to know they're planning on releasing more over the next couple months as well! :D

TheRavingTimes

TheRavingTimes said:

I prefer Fire Emblem Awakening DLC. Not only do you get a map that suits your level but you're also rewarded with a character from another Fire Emblem title with brand new art. My favourite is Roy, who's artwork is made by the same person who worked on the Last Story.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

I was opposed to this for Mario games because I wanted them to stand as a whole forever — the full game would always be intact on the game card. But now, seeing this, I like the idea. It doesn't interfere with the main game, and it adds something that allows us all to compete against each other. Nice idea.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'll try to buy all three, but that Nerve-Wrack Pack looks insanely good. Some challenge in a Mario game is good now and then.

With these and the levels coming up, I'll quickly be on my way to a million coins.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

$2.50 seems okay, but if this trend continues, we could very well see cheaper games with only half the game available and the rest to be unlocked for 'additional costs.' I don't like this trend. ;/

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Hyperstar96 - "Nintendo's already said they won't do that."

And yet, here we are. How long before we get a "free" Mario game like Zen Pinball 2? FYI - Zen Pinball 2 is free but it is only a front end which lets you demo each table and then you buy the ones you like.

$2.50 may not be much, but $7.50 now, another $7.50 end of Oct. and another $7.50 end of Nov is $22.50, that's more than half the price of the game. I wonder if NSMB2 will have a GH ed. next year with all of the levels on the cartridge? That's usually how I get all my extra DLC.

Anybody remember free new challenges 2x a month on the Wii for Mario Kart? I loved to see my little gold haloed Mii up near the front of the pack in region and world maps. All for free.

Is there a location on the 3DS eShop for Nintendo Direct videos? I looked all over and then finally typed "Nintendo Direct in the search box and 5 or 6 of them were listed but I don't know where to find them normally.