Rhythm Hunter: HarmoKnight May Get Groovy in the West

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Gotta catch the beats

There are a good numbers of gamers in the West that love Japanese culture and look on with envy at some of the creative, and occasionally wacky, delights that are released in Nintendo's homeland. One of these we may not have expected to see was Rhythm Hunter: HarmoKnight, a rhythm game on the 3DS eShop from Pokémon developer Game Freak, that caught the eye in a Japanese Nintendo Direct earlier this summer.

The good news is that producer Junichi Masuda is keen to see a worldwide release, stating in an interview with IGN that his company is in the process of working out potential details with Nintendo to localise the title.

In terms of a North American or European release, it's definitely something we'd like to do, but we're working out the details with Nintendo now and seeing what would be the best way to get that to players.

Masuda also explained how a British member of Game Freak came up with the idea, with the project apparently running for a year and a half with a team of 25. It's a development culture that gives small projects a chance.

Within Game Freak, we've implemented a kind of new system where employees can come up with original ideas for their games. If they can find at least three co-workers to jump on the project and say they want to do it together, then they'll be able to proceed with that project.

One of the nice things about smaller projects like that is... since it's a project that you really wanted to do, you've kind of signed on to do that project. You're really interested in it. There's also very few people and a short schedule, so everyone has to work on multiple aspects that they might not normally work with. So by doing that, you really build up experience, which translates back into the Pokémon games.

In any case, it'll be interesting to try out Rhythm Hunter: HarmoKnight and see whether it lives up to its rather charming trailer footage. You can check that out again below.

Would you be interested in downloading this from the eShop?

[via uk.ign.com]

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

That looks really good for a eShop game.
I'm not a fan of music rhythm games on the handheld, since I always mute my 3DS, but I might get this just for the fun gameplay.
Heres a short clip of the Pokemon stage:

bahooney

bahooney said:

I don't know why it would be too hard to localize this; it isn't risky throwing it onto the eShop because it's a digital download. All of Nintendo's first-party eShopware has done pretty well, methinks.

Windy

Windy said:

Best News Ive heard all day! WOOT! Probably end up being another Hold out game from Nintendo. Wow

photofool83

photofool83 said:

Great news!! Please bring it to NA! I promise to buy it and make all of my friends buy it, too.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Yes please do bring this to NA. I'll defently download this. :D It look's so cute! :D

Can't wait to play this! :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Just like the Denpa Men, Ill be dead set on downloading this first day! When it has a release date, that is...

Windy

Windy said:

***waves Money*** A quality title that has to have bigtime upper brass decision making to localise Common MAN! LOL

Hokori

Hokori said:

I want it! I hope it comes out soon, it's practically in English to begin with just like pokedex 3D Pro but I get why there holding off on that one (B2/W2 not released as well as Keldeo, genesect, and meloetta) but they can release this after B/W2 since its has B/W2 music in it so releaseing it in Nov would be ideal

pariah164

pariah164 said:

I doubt this will happen. NoA is keeping Unchained Blades from releasing on the eShop, they'll do the same to this.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I hope it gets released here, I hope its not too hard though as I'm not that good at rhythm action games but this game looks awesome.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Great news; I would buy it. It looks like a good, charming game that would get very catchy.

Chuie

Chuie said:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :D :D :D
GET YOUR LIL TALE OVER IN THE WEST RIGHT NOW :3

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

this actually looks like a very good game, And i think I will get it. There looks like there are a lot of stages in the game, which is good, because when I by a game card/download I expect it to last a long time ;)

Mollutje

Mollutje said:

I'd be rather pissed if I found out they won't localize it. The eshop's got some quality titles, but it's been a while since I last downloaded something. This one looks like it'll keep me occupied for quite some time, and I can't imagine it would be a lot of effort to release it in the west, so what's keeping you, Nintendo?

Windy

Windy said:

@pariah164 My biggest gripe about Nintendo is that the frequently take some of the best software and hold it back to the bitter end. although this game is in the early stages and that remains to be seen. They are guilty and I fire them! ok so I don't fire them I just really Chastise them a bit. lol

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

It would be awesome to have this. There is a huge hook in that Pokémon stage alone for potential buyers.