Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed "A Different Game" to Mario Kart 7

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"We’ve been making this game for 18 months" says producer

For SEGA fans that also like a bit of karting, racing sequel Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is sure to be stirring some interest. With 3DS a confirmed platform, some have observed the water and air-based sections of the title as being copied from Mario Kart 7, which isn't necessarily fair.

In an interview with GamesTM, Sumo Digital producer Jem Lee shares the moment that they saw the Mario Kart 7 reveal, and why its racers offer its own unique style.

It was quite funny, right. We were sitting in a meeting room at work watching the E3 conferences and Nintendo came on and we all wondered if they’d be doing a new Mario Kart. Then they had a montage of things and you had a kart sprout wings, and we all looked around the room, and then you saw a car go into water and we were all like ‘no f***ing way!’

But then they went into each one in depth, and although it’s kind of flying, it’s more falling with style because we’d discussed something similar to that in pre-production as we were trying to work out how to get these three modes in and we called it falling with style as you’re always falling but you have some choice. Whereas the driving under water… that’s not boating. So what they have is a kart game with additive options which are really well built on and add to the experience but we’ve gone away with that in what we were doing.

There will be a few people who think we’re copying them but no, we’ve been making this game for 18 months. But that’s the nature of it and we feel confident from watching people play it and hearing opinions that people are really enjoying it, especially the freedom of flying and that the boating is actually quite challenging to do. It’s a different game.

After watching the announcement trailer we'd tend to agree with Lee that his team are taking a different approach; check it out below and see what you think.

[via gamestm.co.uk]

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

This title reminds me of Diddy Kong Racing, except that you don't have the ability to go through the whole course with your selected vehicle. I'm interested to see how this fairs.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Yeah its still SEGA version of Nintendo's Diddy Kong Racing! Anyway, insta-buy unless its a disaster

rjejr

rjejr said:

I agree w/ Sega. If you actually fly and "boat'? for a racing triathlon then this is a different game than MK7. Has that ever been done before, racing in 3 types of vehicles in 1 race? Would be nice to see some in game footage. If it has online multiplayer (unlike some Vita racing game which should be embarrassed for itself) then I can see this being a big seller.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Looks cool enough, but it's have to get really good reviews for me to start to consider buying it.
Personally, other racing games like this sometimes feel like a waste of money when I already have Mario Kart which I always enjoy playing a lot more.
But hey, for the sake of everyone who wants it, I hope it turns out well.

Aviator

Aviator said:

@Jumbif I'm pretty sure that rjejr was going along the lines of driving on land, on water and flying in the air all in one race. Last time I checked, you can't fly in the air in Diddy Kong Racing.

Nightsider

Nightsider said:

I'll wait for reviews. This honestly looks unapealing to me. but i will look at gameplay footage when availible

Kinioka

Kinioka said:

This and little big planet karting are looking far better than any mario kart tbh...
It would also be great for sega to have a little more confidence in their Ip's, avoiding a 70%price cut for all of their games one month later like they always do. I hope sega does well with this one, and i am pretty sure i will be picking up this game :)

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

@MrArcade
Hehe, I was just about to say something along the lines of "he sounds like a jealous vintage cowboy doll," but you beat me to it.

The first one wasn't too bad, so I may give this one a try when it comes out.

photofool83

photofool83 said:

I loved the first one, except that Nights was NOT a playable character. I will be getting this game day one!!

Byron-3D

Byron-3D said:

I like the look of this, it does have a whiff of Diddy Kong Racing to it but theirs nothing wrong with that as Diddy Kong Racing was an awesome game IMO. I probably wait till the price comes down before I pick up a copy though.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I have confidence Sumo will make another great karting game. After all, they did make Doctor Who: The Adventure Games! If I'm being honest though, I hope they don't devalue this brand - Mario Kart is special because you only get one per console, which sees ypu through the generation. This will be the second on PS360 so I'm a little worried people will not be as interested in it.

TheGeekCentre

TheGeekCentre said:

To be honest, I didn't even think of Mario Kart 7 when I saw the trailer, I was to busy comparing it to Diddy Kong Racing!

I enjoyed the first one, even though it felt a bit bland, but I am certain that Sumo will do a good job with this one. Hopefully this will be the last one they release on the PS3/360, otherwise the series is going to get real old, real fast.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

SEGA unintentionally does what Nintendo kinda did before.
Give the game this slogan and you've got a buy here.

Terave

Terave said:

Looks like a combination of Mario Kart 7 and Diddy Kong Racing, with a SEGA feeling. :) Looks good, but I'm not getting it.

Onett

Onett said:

Sounds pretty situational to me, a lot like using Tails or Wave in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. You could already ride across large bodies of water and fly through the air if you were using their respective gear. The only difference this time around is that you will be able to do all of this in a vehicle with your favorite Sega character.

@Kinioka

Don't start doing handstands over this one minute trailer with no actual gameplay just yet. Sega All Stars Racing on the Wii was buggy, imbalanced, had awful controls, frustrating course design and a unstable online mode. Let's just hope that Sega isn't Sega.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

I gotta admit, those transformation sequences are a little slicker than MK7, where the propellers and gliders just sorta pop out of your current kart. :)

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

It's got my interest... I wasn't all that interested in SEGA's recent Sonic racers but I may give this one a look. It looks good in the trailer, so I'm hoping it comes together as a game.

Dodger

Dodger said:

It might be coincidence but I still don't want the game. I would rather get Diddy Kong Racing and there are a million things I want more and I'm still having fun with MK7.

she_gamer

she_gamer said:

I did borrow the first Sega/Sonic All-Stars Racing, and it wasn't bad. One step up from "this actually doesn't suck" to "Hey, this is kinda good". This looks even better, but unfortunately, I only need one good racing game.

Kinioka

Kinioka said:

@Onett - 1) I've never played the wii version ( Ps3 only).
2) That's your opinion and i don't agree with it.

Onett

Onett said:

I appologize, allow me to reiterate. Maybe it wasn't so much the controls fault as it was the wacky course design throwing hairpin turns at you that seemed to blend in with the over all color scheme of the stage which made it difficult for me to tell where to turn.

@Neram

From what I can see so far, yes. I say that because Diddy Kong Racing gave the player the option to choose between the Plane, Car or Hovercraft on stages that were built to support all 3. In this case, you have all 3-in-1. The only thing that suggests that this game rips off of MK7 is the fact that the vehicle transforms when it hits air or water.

Aviator

Aviator said:

D'oh, silly last night posting.

Meant to say that you can't fly with a hovercraft.

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

This is nothing like Diddy Kong Racing, if any of you remember correctly you were dedicated to a specific class in that game, this you can switch.

Nin-freak

Nin-freak said:

Looks pretty good, actually. I didn't like the way Mario Kart 7 handled transformations much. It just didn't add any real innovation to the game. Now this game looks good! SEGA may just surprise all of us this time ;)

hendie001

hendie001 said:

i think it looks wicked even if it is kind of like mk 7. would it not be cool if sega and nintendo did a mario kart with a mix of sega and nintendo karts.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

I bought Both Mario Kart and Sega All Star Racing, needless to say, I no longer have MK. I thought Sega did a much better job and I'm looking forward to this one, PS MK did the alternate vehicles poorly anyway, they felt tacked on or an after thought, not really a benificial part of a new experience...don't even get me started about balance and glitches... in MK.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

@nesrizo96 I have several examples of where N copied others idea and released them before the originating company were allowed to thermselves System flaw and Face Fighters anyone? that's just one minor example... it was released after but a copy for sure. there have been many others, There's NOTHING new under the sun... NOTHING, and I mean nothing.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Uhh... I thought this was obvious.
I mean, anybody who is stupid enough to think it is a downright copy of MK7 should not play crossover racing games at all. Not only did sumo come out with SIMILAR ideas BEFORE them, but they are NOT the EXACT same thing.

MK7: Gliding
S&ASR: Actual Flying

MK7: Going Underwater
S&ASR: Boating

Similarities - Yes.
Copy - Definitely Not.

hillbill26

hillbill26 said:

Now that i think about it, the do have a point. Rather than gliding (a.k.a. falling with style) and racing underwater, they do have differences considering they are flying rather than being in the air for a couple of seconds, and that they don't go underwater and just race on the surface on the water like a Chuk E. Cheese arcade game. That is true. So yes, there are differences to this than Mario Kart 7. I am looking forward to the gameplay change when I buy this later in the year.

BlueToad

BlueToad said:

I dont really get why they announced it now...
Shouldn t they have announced it at E3??

Aviator

Aviator said:

Announce it now and get more attention pre-E3.

Announce it at E3 and have the possibility of getting lost under a sea of new stuff.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

It's funny that a lot of people have been completely dismissing this game and assuming it's going to be bad. I thought the first game got good ratings, didn't it?

I MIGHT buy it. I just hope when he says "The boating is quite challenging to do" he means that it's quite different from driving, and not that the controls are abysmal.