Metro: Last Light No Longer Confirmed for Wii U

Posted by James Newton

Flickering flame

Last year at E3 we heard Metro: Last Light was coming to Wii U. Well, now it seems it might not be, as THQ's global brand manager Mark Madsen told Digital Spy the game might not make it to Wii U.

Madsen said the game is not currently in development for Wii U and that, while a port could still happen, it'd be "correct" to say it's no longer definitely on the way to Wii U. He also said:

The verdict is out on what we can do to maximise the code for the Wii U, and we'll see [what happens]

Not sounding massively confident there, but it could still happen. How do you feel about this news?

[via digitalspy.co.uk]

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Disappointed, but then again, what would they use the Wii U tablet for, anyways? A HUD? Metro never had a HUD.

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

It isn't even out yet and already developers are pulling their support for the Wii U.

Joking aside, this is clearly a reflection of the state of THQ rather than an omen for the Wii U.

BenAV

BenAV said:

If it does make it to the Wii U, it's only a maybe purchase for me so I won't really care that much if it doesn't make it.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

If I were to buy it I'd get it on PC anyway, like all my 3rd party games. So this doesn't affect me. But still, the more games the merrier so it's still a shame if this were to happen.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

So although it was shown at E3 last year for Wii U it's completely missing Wii U... so I'm guessing that footage we saw last year was probably for the 360/PS3? Unless it was footage from Metro 2033...

CommanderAudio

CommanderAudio said:

This isn't going to happen AT ALL. Not just on Wii U. THQ is in a total crisis state, and everybody knows it, so I'll be suprised if this sees the light of day.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

@James That's... awful. However, I guess Nintendo had confidence that the graphics will be as good as their rivals. Still, that is a bit of a shame really...

James

James said:

@Demonic Nah, it was just too early to show off anything more than tech demos — though I hear Darksiders II was up and running on Wii U in a matter of weeks, and looked as good as the 360/PS3 versions.

Still, we'll all see what Wii U games look like next week, won't we? :)

ChosenOne25

ChosenOne25 said:

nooo, i would really have liked to have more 3rd party games on Wii U, hope they'll get all the 3rd party stuff that lands on Xbox and PS3 on Wii U as well, then Wii U will truely be a 100% console.

Burn

Burn said:

But... That teaser trailer with zero gameplay footage looked so appealing!

nfzeta007

nfzeta007 said:

Nintendo should really include an option to turn off the screen on the controller for these guys, that way they could just make an upgraded graphics port if they don't want to tackle with the controller, would simply mean more games, although some devs might get lazy and start doing that just because.
Well it would also help the Wii U take on the higher graphics and power hungry games if it really needed too.

hydeks

hydeks said:

I had alil interest in this game but I don't know anything about this series, SOOO, not a big lose to me :P

Chrno-x

Chrno-x said:

For me it's a terrible news, I really like two Metro novels from Dmitry Glukhovsky so I hoped that finally i could play it on Nintendo platform (and finally sell my X360) but if Nintendo will make the same mistake just like with Wii then I will never bet my money (again like with Wii at least for 4 years) on Wii U. But then again now THQ are in real pinch because in their last fiscal year they lost 190mln $ so it's not a surprise that they delete every version of games that wouldn't bring good profit.... Still it's a shame....

DogNut327

DogNut327 said:

I hope this isn't the start of a long list of 3rd party games cancelled for Wii U.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Kind of disappointed but I don't think it will matter much in the big scheme of things! Sad to see THQ who are known for Nintendo support pulling a title but they are in financial trouble so maybe this is good for them.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

I liked what i've seen about this game and its predecessor. Hope they take the criticism for the first one into account and that it's still coming to the Wii U one day.

shake_zula

shake_zula said:

Quite a big blow for me, the one thing I've constantly lamented in being a devoted Wii gamer is the lack of FPS games, and Metro 2033 in particular looked awesome, so I was excited for Last Light on Wii U. Ah well, we'll have Aliens, Killer Freaks and I'm assuming Black Ops II?

Kinioka

Kinioka said:

Just like the Saints Row game that was announced for 3DS... i don't blame them.

PatcherStation

PatcherStation said:

As much as I'm looking forward to the Wii U, I just can't see it being a console for shooters, more so when it doesn't have a dedicated controller for this genre. On top of that, most publishers will probably sit back to see how console sales go. I think shooters are best left for the PC, Xbox and PlayStation. But if Nintendo wants to change that, it needs to release a dedicated controller like with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Gamers and publishers just don't seem to take Nintendo consoles seriously when it comes to serious games. But I just can't see how the Wii U will fair against the Xbox 720 and PlayStation 4 which will be monster consoles, right up there with high end PC tech.