Wario Land 2 is Japan-Bound

Posted by James Newton

Stolen treasure recovered

Japanese 3DS owners can continue their journey through Wario's wicked world next week when Wario Land II reaches the Virtual Console.

While here in the West we got two versions of Wario's sophomore outing — one for Game Boy and a revamped Game Boy Color release — Japan only got the colour game, so that's the version heading to the service. Hopefully that means those outside Japan will get the GBC version too, though as North America is still waiting for Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 it could be quite a wait.

3DS Ambassadors can already play Wario Land 4 so it's good to see Nintendo fleshing out its anti-hero's back catalogue on Virtual Console.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Got the GBC game on cartridge. But everything that brings us closer to a VC release of Wario Land 3 is a great thing in my book.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Cool. Just got Wario Land 2(GBC version) in the mondo mail yesterday. B-)
I'm not waiting months on end to get my Wario fix on the 3DS's VC...Hell, WL1 hasn't even been released in the NA yet which completely obliterates SML2 btw. But yup! I've got all the Wario Land Carts now so I'll be blasting through 2-4 in a matter of no timesy' B-)

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Get WarioLand 3 out, My all-time favorite Game Boy Color game! WarioLand II is my second favorite, btw. I also like how WarioLand II has secret exits, so you can play through the game differently each time.

Boshi

Boshi said:

Come on Wario Land and Kid Icarus 3D Classics this week, that can't be too much to hope for can it?

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Already!? Us Europeans didn't have to wait long after Japan got the first one, maybe we'll have it in a couple of weeks too? Optimism. You jes' gotta love it.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Good for them. In the meantime, we in the U.S. are still waiting for the first one. I suppose I'll have to get comfortable, because if it's going to take a while for the first game to come here, it'll be longer still for Wario Land II. On the bright side, Wario Land could still arrive as early as this week or the next, so it'll get here eventually.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

"NA is still waiting for Wario Land"
Yeah tell me about it. I've pretty much given up on it.
I don't know where the heck that darn game is, or Myths and Monsters. Why in the world would they release it everywhere else, but not give it to us?? I really don't see the sense in it.

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

I really hope we get the Game Boy Color version. Big fan of Wario but never got a chance to play this one, so it'll be a day 1 purchase.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

I never really played all of Wario Land II on Game Boy Color , but I have played a bit of it. The game is very enjoyable and fun to play if you're looking to play something that has Wario in it. The one that stands out to me that I finished was Wario Land 3 which followed not too long after Wario Land II. In any case, I could care less nowadays if NOA's eShop over here in the US gets Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 or Kid Icarus: Of Myths And Monsters to be honest. I mean, like I said before, blame NOA's idiotic marketing of how they get games that people want to play out onto the eShop. Only when they want to. Same goes for games like when DS was around. Even throughout Nintendo's WHOLE history dating as far back to I believe the Nintendo 64 or SNES. But anyway, no doubt we should get Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 or Kid Icarus: Of Myths And Monsters any day now because of Wario Land II surfacing in Japan's eShop next week.

Olaf-symbiote

Olaf-symbiote said:

Wario Land II ranks high in my personal "best games of all time" list, so I'm glad to see it coming. My GBC cart hasn't been used for a while, due to me being unable to enjoy playing games without a backlit screen (have I grown old) and the save battery seems to have died too, so I'm antsy to re-experience my childhood :).

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

This game does look awesome but VB Wario land came before that so I'd want to play that first. I hope we doe get VBWL on 3DS vc at some point.

sc100

sc100 said:

@FonistofCruxis
I actually think there's a good chance Nintendo will release Virtual Boy VC games at some point, especially after they've released most of their good GB/GBC/GB Advance games. So probably not within the next year but maybe sometime after that.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

I love this game. While I don't enjoy it quite as much as 4 or Shake It, it's easily up there with them.

I'm not big on 3, though.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@sc100

I couldn't agree with you more my friend. That would be cool if what little of the Virtual Boy's games that it had winds up appearing at E3 2012 as like an announcement of games to be coming soon to the eShop. Imagine playing the Virtual Boy version of Mario's Tennis on the 3DS. It could be a little blinding cause of the red in the game, but then again, it could be fun to see some of these games in a new light.

MortalKombat2007

MortalKombat2007 said:

@sc100

There is a very low probability of that ever happening There are very few games on the Virtual Boy due its failure. It is really difficult to justify of developing a Virtual Boy emulator just to release two or three games. Chances of third party titles are perhaps lower than first party titles. The most appropriate thing to do is to remake Wario Land and other Nintendo titles as 3D Classics. I doubt that will happen though. Furthermore, there are tons of Game Boy games to be release... especially for the Game Boy Advance which Nintendo have no interest of supporting at this time.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I reckon they'll give us the GBC version - more attractive on the eShop and they can charge more for it, as they did with Link's Awakening DX. Not that I'm complaining; I'd prefer the GBC version anyway