Castlevania: The Adventure Whips Japan Next Week

Posted by James Newton

3DS VC gets spooky

Castlevania: The Adventure will take a bite out of the 3DS Virtual Console in Japan next week.

The Game Boy game reaches Japan on 14th March alongside the previously-announced launch of Game Gear. Christopher Belmont's solo outing will cost ¥400, and while it's not the best 'vania title on Nintendo's humble black and white handheld we still hope it reaches Europe and North America.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Yay! Bring on the hatred from the hardcore fans. It's always fun to watch :3

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

The DOS version of Castlevania is better than this garbage. Better off waiting for the sequel.

James

James said:

I remember playing this from back in the day. What's so bad about it?

Graph

Graph said:

The only good thing about this title is the "Battle of the holy" track from stage 1. It's sad.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@James I think Damien said it best: "Some fairly obvious design blunders have been perpetrated here, with atrocious level design, poor control and a crippling lack of attack options all combining to create a pretty hateful piece of software."

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Finally! I've been waiting to beat this game. And now the restore points will help

metafaniel

metafaniel said:

Somebody knows why an official Castlevania 3DS hasn't been done yet??? They used to create a "weekly" CV game for the DS (I mean, quite often) and now... nothing... WHY? WHEN? Somebody knows??

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

I was just thinking "insta-buy!" but after seeing some of these bilious comments I'm not so sure. Is this game going to garner any praise? Any at all?? Will wait for the review I suppose. Better safe than sorry...

belmont

belmont said:

I have beaten this game three times in a row! This was my first Castlevania game.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

I'm pleasantly shocked to see ANY VC activity from Konami, as I don't believe they've released anything on VC or any other Nintendo download platform, since Castlevania: Rondo of Blood! Metal Gear Solid 3D is one of the few games Konami's released on a Nintendo system lately PERIOD! So, I'm thrilled to see this not only because it's a Castlevania release, but also because Konami is showing some signs of life (they've been a non-factor to me for years now).

Also, seeing any new Castlevania release (even if it's an old one) is a relief, as Castlevania has been in decline for a while now, with no brand new installments announced (I feel like they don't know where to go with it after "rebooting" with Lords of Shadow). Now this gives me hope for Castlevania: Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps (how about long-missing original NES Contra too...).

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Fluttershyguy Konami has been supporting the VC. The last two game boy games to come out on Japanese 3DS VC were Konami games (Ganbare Goemon and Quarth).

All this negativity is shocking, as I'm happy to see any of the Castlevania games come out on the VC. Even if you don't get this game, this means that the sequels is likely to come out for the service.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Maybe this is a teensy weensy sign that Konami may in fact still be supporting the Wii's VC. Anyways! I just beat Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge on the GameBoy a couple of days ago. It's a great game, and is also considered the best of the 3 GB castlevania titles. Is the first worth checking out? Ah who am i kidding, i know I will regardless! But I'll be passing on Castlevania Legends which was handeled by a completely different team and it shows! The art direction/graphics look poor in comparison to II: Belmont's Revenge, and the music apperantly was a major dissapointment. Konami actually considers it an embarrassment to the franchise and discluded it from the Castlevania time line. :p

Untitled

And I feel like such a bad ass not having to wait months and months for CII: Belmont's Revenge or even Contra: Operation C to surface on the 3DS's VC since i have them in cart form muhaha. :p

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

I've never played Belmont's Revenge, but the first game is very very hard, and it's not hard because it's challenging. It's hard because of lots of poor stupid design issues like very clunky movement (character moves very slowly and has lead boots), lots of tiny platforms that, if you happen to miss, forces you to start over (and over, and over and over if you're as bad as me). If you get hit, you get nudged backwards which spells instant doom if you happen to fall into a bottomless pit or onto spikes.

There's millions of bad things about it (like only one weapon at a time and crap levels) and you should avoid it like the plague, but some people actually like the game and like the challenge so download at your own risk or something.

Konami, where the hell is Operation: C and Nemesis?

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Seriously, where's a 3DS Castlevania to rival the great DS and GBA games??

Hell, they could probably slap together an anthology of those prior games with added 3D layers and I'd buy it. Or just a port of Symphony of the Night in 3D. Anything!

RR529

RR529 said:

Never played any Castlevania games before, so I might check this out if it hits Stateside. Even if it ends up bad, at only $4 it's not like I'm dumping a bunch of money into it.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Slapshot Hope so. Everyone's saying that's the better of the two. I'm hoping that the GBA Castlevania games come out eventually. Though...I dunno, maybe its just me, but I didn't like Circle of the Moon. The others were great though.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

I have the original GB copy and it's a rather ho hum generic platformer with the Castlevania name slapped on it. It's not the worst game in the series but the sequel outshines it in every single way. For those who never played it, give it a shot. Just be warned that you may not like it as much as you think.

KAI7321

KAI7321 said:

Really cool but inferior compared to the tighter sequel: Castlevania Belmont's Revenge - The music in that game is EPIC! :)

hendie001

hendie001 said:

i got this game for x mas when i was very young wish i still had the cart i will grab it

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I had the original cart way back when, and actually liked it. Tried finding it some time ago but couldn't, much to my chagrin. Others in the pile: Bo Jackson Baseball/Football (!), Motocross Maniacs, Top Rank Tennis, Mortal Kombat. The middle two are so choice. The bookends are pure pain.

rosebud

rosebud said:

I had the first two GB Castlevanias back in the day. I sold them both recently in their original boxes. Yeah, the first one is a short, very difficult straight ahead platformer. The second game is awesome. I would recommend holding off on this one and waiting for the second to hit the Handheld VC.