What's New in Mario Party 9? This Trailer Knows

Posted by James Newton

Star of the show

Nintendo's Mario Party 9 is out this week in Europe with a North American release to follow, but if you're not sure what's new in this 11th instalment in the series — don't forget Mario Party DS and Mario Party Advance — Nintendo's put together a video to explain.

The trailer highlights some of the brand new boss fights with Mario series staples including Wiggler and Blooper that await once players reach the end of the board.

We'll have our Mario Party 9 review very soon.

photofool83

photofool83 said:

I hope this game is good. I used to have a blast with Mario Party 3. Maybe they should just release Mario Party 3 on VC already!!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

That wasn't Gooper Blooper at the end of the trailer. That was a giant-sized, regular Blooper. Although it would've been nice if the bosses in this game were more throwbacks to past bosses like Gooper Blooper rather than giant-sized enemies, they still look cool and I've always enjoyed boss battles.

It's interesting to see the crabs from New Super Mario Bros. Wii return. It's interesting in general that Mario Party 9 has a NSMB Wii theme to it. I went ahead and saw the first ten minutes of story mode, and the game looks very good. It's certainly better than Mario Party 8, so I expect this to be my favorite Mario Party since 4, maybe even 2.

I'm actually glad they changed up the rules, because the problem with the past installments was that they didn't do much to shake things up. Now that Nintendo and Nd Cube made this instead of Hudson, they finally decided to breathe fresh life into the series, and it looks like they certainly have.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I still don't get the concept of staying in one group. Wasn't the idea to beat the other guys to the end of the board to receive a star?

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I'm feeling pretty hopeful about this one, and it's looking great. The mini games in particular are looking good to me. Finally got some 'freshness' to it as well it seems. I have played soooo much of all the other Mario Party games with people. I wonder if i will still be the minigame champ..

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

Not sure I like how small stars replaced coins, but beyond that, looks like a good game.

Objection

Objection said:

I both like and am confused by this entry's changes. I like the boss fights but I worry about the cart's impact on competition.

Imagine23

Imagine23 said:

The whole "boss" idea seems the same as PAC-MAN Party.

What they should really do is bring back boards and mini games from previous Mario parties.

Squid

Squid said:

This looks kinda fun... Although I agree with @Objection. That would be a bit of a problem to me. Maybe I'll rent it, I'd rather not pay full price for something like this.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I have mixed feelings about this too because the boards, mini-games and boss fights all look really good but I'm skeptical about the car mechanic.

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

It's missing two very important things:
+Individual Character Movement
+ONLINE
Man, even if it isn't Hudson developing Mario Party, they'll still forget about online.

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

Also, bringing previous party boards or mini-games would have made this better.
MP3 - Toadstool Titan FTW!
EDIT: Making a mini-game that is completely luck based is hogwash.
The mini-games that combined luck with skill made things interesting.

FubumblR

FubumblR said:

I really do hope there's a "classic" mode option available either from the start or an unlock. Please, Nintendo, PLEASE! I appreciate what they're trying to do here but at least give the option. There still seems to be some competition since you have to time your dice block hits to land on certain spaces and obtain the mini-stars, but, there still is nothing like four separate players moving SEPARATELY on a game board. Really don't know how I feel about this installment. :-(

JimLad

JimLad said:

Looks fun. I'm gonna rent it first though since Mario Party games can be hit or miss.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@BlueNintendo11 ...is the British spelling. But you know this as this is the third time you've been told that it's the UK spelling. Maybe you'll get it this time?