Rumour: Nintendo Courting Comcast for Wii U

Posted by James Newton

Cable may be on the way

According to Adweek, Nintendo is doing the rounds at major media chains including cable company Comcast, hoping to secure their support for Wii U.

The site claims Nintendo executives met with a number of top content companies at last month's Consumer Electronics Show, but sources admit it's very early days so far and that nothing may come of these meetings.

Still, it's encouraging to hear Nintendo preparing to take Wii U down a more wide-ranging media approach, which would back up Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime's assertion that Wii U will boast a full range of entertainment.

[via adweek.com]

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Sounds good. Still My 360 has these capabilites and more on the way. only way I could see this being a big deal if its using actucal live cable like the xbox does with Fios and Uverse. If its just Xfinty like the 360 has then it's not that big of a deal.

Hopefully Nintendo can foster these types of connections and keep them strong and go in serious. The Wii just getting Hulu Plus is a very bad sign imo.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Comcast has horrible customer service, hope they don't somehow spread that to Nintendo's customer service. Don't know about anyone else, but Nintendo customer service has always been super helpful.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

The controller would be a flo tv as long as you have a Internet connect.... Sounds good to me. If this is true, then it's a good thing that I'm getting rid of AT&T and going back to comcast. If you have more than 4 tvs then don't get AT&T.... Trust me I'm saving you all the stress of fighting over who gets to watch tv because you can only use four boxes at a time, and if someone is recording somthing then your tv could be interupted :(

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Nintendo courting... Comcast ??

Evidently I've been a terrible wingman for my pal Miyamoto. An intervention may be needed at this point.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I like Comcast. Had them in New Hampshire.

ATT Uverse used to be on Xbox 360- but something went wrong, most likely on ATT's side considering their poor reputation with Uverse. It's a quality service, no doubt. But things need to be ironed out.

No one knows how many returns I get. Very few are from moving. Most of them are dissatisfaction with the overall service, in terms of customer service and hidden fees.

But I digress.

MachineLaw

MachineLaw said:

@shingi_70 Ok, we get it you like Xbox, having cable is not the big of a deal anyway, I don't think this will really be integral or even relevant to playing games on my gaming console.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@MachineLaw

Well Good golly. Was it my Avatar that gave it away.

Dude said he wanted Fios on a game system. It just happens that the 360 let's you use Fios HD live streaming on the xbox if your a fios subscriber. Logically I was just pointing him in the direction of a product that meets his needs,

Also your only talking about your usage case, Not everyone wants a console for just games. Some of us want a device that can cut the cord from CSP's. and really the article is about potential cable service coming to a game console.

and if i were a fanboy i would have stated that nintendo can' t pull them off and post listwars on why the xbox is better.

BenAV

BenAV said:

To be honest, I really don't care.
If the Wii U has some good services that I don't have to waste any extra money on, then sure, I might use them.
But at the end of the day, I just want my new gaming system with lots of new, high quality games and everything else is hardly important. :P

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

We get Comcast, but the people across the river get Cox. I see a potential problem with cable providers, since you don't even get to choose who you get your service from, unless you like moving houses a lot! :P

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Comcast just bought a part of NBC not long ago now this. I hope the government steps in and stops Comcast before you know it they will have a monopoly on everything.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

@warioswoods Shigeru Miyamoto isn't in charge of Nintendo, he's the General Director of Nintendo EAD. The people meeting with Comcast would be people like Satoru Iwata.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I don't think I like this idea. For one, I've heard terrible things about Comcast's customer service and for two, they don't even service my area. Does that mean that since they don't I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy what the Wii U has to offer?

rjejr

rjejr said:

Since nobody else mentioned it - see: Streampix Xfinity. Maybe Nintendo can get this on WiiU for non-Comcast members. Also FYI, Comcast is the largest cable provider in the US with about 23 million members, which is probably why Nintendo is talking to them.