Dr. Mario and Toki Tori Join the 3DS VC This Year

Posted by James Newton

Is there a Dr, Duck in the house?

Fresh from the list of upcoming 3DS eShop games for Europe comes some new announcements of Virtual Console games you can expect to see too.

Here's the list of digital delights on the way to the VC in Europe this year:

Punch-Out!!™ (NES) — 1st March 2012
Super Mario Bros™ (NES) — 1st March 2012
Dr Mario™ (Game Boy) — March 2012
Toki Tori (Game Boy Color) — Q2 2012

Also don't forget that Game Gear games are coming to 3DS next month too.

Not a lot but at least there's movement. What do you make of these games?

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I've played GBC Toki Tori briefly. I found the WiiWare version to be better. On the GBC, the screen is (obviously) smaller and you have to press a button to walk up steps, on WiiWare this is done automatically. But it has a cool intro not on WiiWare.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Do we really need Dr Mario again? (WiiWare version, DSiWare version, WarioWare version)

Toki Tori on the other hand looks like a must-download.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Do we really need Dr Mario again?

It exists so on the service it goes. Dem's da rules.

Megajack

Megajack said:

well if punch out comes to north america ill be happy since i never played that game. but dang, i was hoping for a link to the past. meh.

Victoria

Victoria said:

I already have Dr Mario on my 3DS from the DSiWare version. But I'd get Toki Tori. I like it on the Wii. It's so cute that I'd buy it again.

ZueriHB

ZueriHB said:

Why the GB Verison? Why is the DSi version unusable?

Because of no Multiplayer-Support in VC- and DSi version! As a Huge Dr. Mario fan I must say: no buy for VC-Version. the GB Version is as worse as the DSi version. And even worse without multuplayer.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I already have the DSiware version of Dr. Mario on my 3DS but I'll probably get Punch-out on 3DS vc at some point. I'd rather get that instead of the Wii vc version because of the restore points.

Mahe

Mahe said:

The button layout on the 3DS Virtual Console is poor. It should be customizable by the player.

...not that it matters much when there's so little of interest on the service.

Ras

Ras said:

@Classicgamer It's been hinted that Link to the Past is getting remake treatment. I get the idea they are doing more than just "3D Classic"ing it up. But, so far, this is just Miyamoto's wish and not confirmed.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I had no clue Toki Tori was also on GBC back then. Learn new things everyday. Same surprise about finding out that Shantae was on GBC too.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I already have the Wiiware version of Toki Tori (wich has more levels by the way), so I don't need this one!

DoctorWho

DoctorWho said:

Not to be picky, but i've noticed the NES games for general release on 3DS VC don't appear in the "Coming Soon" list of this website. Are they only listing the games that are unique to the handheld medium? I'd rather a full list of games to scroll through given how tedious the list on the actual e-store is.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

The music on the original gameboy Dr Mario is better than the DSiWare version at least, they messed up the 'Chill' music on that and it misses a section out...always sounds odd to me when I hear it and know what it should sound like.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Yay for Toki Tori !
Boo for releasing a version of Dr. Mario with ripped out multiplayer instead of the NES game.