Club Nintendo Offers Collectible Handheld History Cards

Posted by James Newton

Know your roots

We've recently been diving into the history of Nintendo, and now Nintendo itself wants its fans to have a bit of a history lesson, releasing some new collectible cards for North American Club Nintendo users.

The 12 hand-drawn cards detail over 30 years of handheld systems, from the Game & Watch up to the 3DS. They even come in a cute little pouch for those times you absolutely, positively have to carry Nintendo handheld history collectible cards with you.

At 300 Club Nintendo Coins they're hardly breaking the bank, particularly as we now have a complete Club Nintendo Coins spreadsheet.

Will you be getting them?

[via club.nintendo.com]

Portista

Portista said:

Uh, no thanks. I just save up for the good ones when the Club Nintendo year ends! :P

WiiAboutU

WiiAboutU said:

I think I'd rather purchase the Hanafuda cards. What the hell are these things good for anyways?

Shugo

Shugo said:

This would be better as a poster, honestly. In fact, that might be exactly what I do with them - tile them all together and frame it. That or I could get a nice display case and put each respective card next to the real consoles... Actually, that sounds like a idea.

I'm kind of disappointed, though - Japan's set has 15 cards total. Theirs features extra cards for dual-screen Game & Watch, Game Boy Play It Loud, and Game Boy Light. Considering theirs cost even fewer coins, this is kind of disappointing...

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

What do you mean not quit where it all began? Wasn't Game & Watch Ball the first?

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

That's cheesy. They're crazy colors, and completely left out the Virtual Boy. Revisionist history?

Thwiidscube

Thwiidscube said:

I should get this! I could learn a bit more about Nintendo. I was saving my Coins up for Game & Watch: Ball, but I think I want this more right now.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

What exactly are these cards good for? Do they serve a purpose besides displaying SOME of Nintendo's handhelds?

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Definitely getting this! As a rabbid Nintendo fan and avid collector, this is perfect for me! I already know all the history but I'll still enjoy reading them. Plus me thinks they'll look very nice on my Club Nintendo shelf :)

link_hn

Nintendo DS Lite
Nintendo DSi
Nintendo DSi XL
Nintendo 3DS

KingMike

KingMike said:

This topic reminded me I still haven't gotten my Club Nintendo year-end reward. :(

ChibiJib

ChibiJib said:

@James no, i mean, when you get the cards, are the size of the pictures as big as the actual handheld in real life?

link_hn

link_hn said:

@bboy2970 i know, i only list them as they are order on the pic =P but nice catch...

@KaiserGX sure i can, just dont know where to upload them, maybe in the forums...

Ren

Ren said:

virtual boy is not handheld or portable by any stretch. You can't even use it without that dopey stand mounted on a table (which has an instantly breakable hinge on it). It didn't say "History of stuff with BOY in the name".

link_hn

link_hn said:

i think the size are a little bit more than half a letter page stated inthe club nintendo page: Dimensions: 6.125" x 4.125" and comes with a special folder/pouch, nice...

bahooney

bahooney said:

@ DrCruse: The Virtual Boy wasn't even a handheld!! Portable, sure, I really guess so, but it definitely had a controller and went around your head.

Scissors

Scissors said:

Already ordered when I heard about it on Tiny Cartridge, just got an email that they've just been shipped.

I love these, I usually have a tough time deciding what to spend my coins on, but this was a no-brainer.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Something tells me Nintendo wants to make people aware of a catalog, that has virtual-life(emulation) potential.

So, for the cause of making profit, they don't really care about fudging the fact that the VB was half both console/handheld, & fully neither one simultaneously.