Sonic Colours Sells 1.85 Million Copies Worldwide

Posted by James Newton

Turning rings into coins

Last year's hedgehog outing Sonic Colours on Wii and Sonic Colours were two of the year's better platformers, and certainly the highlight of the blue spiky one's recent career. Sega recently released some provisional sales figures for the game, and although it didn't necessarily set the charts alight it still posted decent sales figures.

Since its release in November 2010 the game has sold 1.85 million copies worldwide, a pretty good achievement considering Donkey Kong Country Returns hoovered up most Wii owners' money in the run-up to Christmas.

If you haven't picked up either hedgehog adventure, be sure to read our Sonic Colours Wii review or, if you're a portable player, our Sonic Colours DS review for the full picture.

[via siliconera.com]

Related Games

SonicMaster

SonicMaster said:

Wow, a Sonic game that's successful AND good... who'da thunk? :P I really would like to get it for Wii soon. Maybe I can save up my allowance.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

For comparision, sonic unleashed (wii version) sold about 800k copies in the same amount of time, according to vgchartz, and 1.81m over all the consoles it was released on.
Thats right, sonic colours is outselling a previous version that was on four different consoles
I guess being a quality game does help after all! :D

Platypus

Platypus said:

@2 HEY! I liked sonic unleashed.

Anyway it's good to see Sonic making a comeback. I hope his next games are as good if not better.

zeeroid

zeeroid said:

Well that's certainly good to hear. Hopefully these solid sales numbers'll convince Sega that, yes, making good Sonic games actually will translate to decent sales. And trailing some of the most lacklustre Sonic titles in history couldn't have helped build this one's reputation much either. With any luck, future titles will be able pick up from the strong momentum Colors has now.

Hokori

Hokori said:

:( dont shame me I just want others 1st like:
3DS, SSF4, Pokemon Black, Tingle's Balloon Trip of love, Chibi-Robo 3, and many more, but ill get to it soon I promise

Mizore

Mizore said:

I stopped the Sonic games because they always turned out horrid...Was thinking Colors would have the same problem, guess not...probably should get this sometime...(after I deal with the 3DS anyways, lol)

motang

motang said:

This is so awesome, that titles are really selling on the Wii, take that you whinny developers who make crappy games and cry that they aren't selling on the Wii! :P

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

It's so good I even saw an advert on TV. A good Wii game being advertised on TV. The world has gone mad! :P

taffy

taffy said:

Is this combined sales of the DS and Wii or are they just for one particular platform?

LuigiTheGreenFire

LuigiTheGreenFire said:

Great job Sega! I hope to get a copy in the next couple months, it looks amazing. Probably better than Epic Mickey which I am somewhat disappointment in.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Well what do you know, genuinely great Wii games are selling well.

xPOTATOx

xPOTATOx said:

I have it for Wii and Nintendo DS. Great game. Glad to see it was successful!

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Actually couldn't Sonic Colours by made for the 3DS. The 3D effect could be interesting with some of the powers.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Wow!
Sonic 4 Episode 1
Afterburner Climax
Sonic Adventures Dreamcast (PSN)
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Valkria Chronicles 2
Sonic Colors
Crazy Taxi Dreamcast (PSN)
Upcoming Yakuza 4 and Conduit 2

....it feels like I woke up 10yrs ago when I was a SEGA fanboy all over again. :D

zeeroid

zeeroid said:

@slapshot82: Picking up publishing rights for Platinum Games' titles is one of the smartest moves SEGA's made in recent memory. Granted... that's not exactly a high hurdle to jump, but a great decision nonetheless.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Good work, now how about keeping this momentum going Sega.
Perhaps with a sequel featuring Tails and Knuckles as playable characters.

madgear

madgear said:

I've picked up the game too and have to admit it is good - the only thing that bothers me with the 3D Sonic games is no spin attack. I'm used to pushing down to spin, especially in the 2D sections, and you can't do that any more - they really need to bring that back as it's an integeral part of Sonic's gameplay.

Still, it's a good game even if it doesn't really feel too much like a Sonic title.

Rensch

Rensch said:

Congrats, Sega!

You deserved it after years of mediocre or even downright bad Sonic console games.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

It deserves it. Its an all time great sonic game. The best since Sonic 3 as well as Sonic and Knuckles. I want a Sonic Colours 2

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

Damn good news! Sonic Colors is flat out amazing; and, personally, I found both this and Kirby's Epic Yarn to easily trample DKC Returns in terms of fun factor and level design. Everything about this game is quality, and SEGA should feel great about putting the Sonic name on this one. A couple more games of this caliber (or, hopefully, better) and we'll have a mascot that deserves to hang on the same console as Mario!

Seriously, just a fantastic game, loaded with content, beautiful visuals and great music. Super fun, really addictive - one of the best Sega games since the Dreamcast. Can't wait for Sonic's 20th anniversary game this year;)

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

did anyone ever answer if it was combined sales or just wii...or ds....the fact that the sales figure doesn't specify leads me to believe its both versions' sales added up.

OldVikingSchool

OldVikingSchool said:

I disagree with all critics on Sonic Colors, because it focusing the same formula like 1.2 and 3&knuckles.

Short story, it explains why Robotnik(sorry EGGMAN(wtf SEGA?)) is back on track and what is his plan. Just like the old genesis games.

Easy enemies, easy bosses(Until you hit the last one) like the old Sonic franchise. All they are supposed to do is to prevent Sonic from gaining best time/score.
Difficult platforming(Or what IGN and GameTrailer calls it "Difficulty spikes") and memorization is the key to success in this game. Finding the best route and tricks to avoid enemies rewarding the player. Just like Sonic 1, 2, 3&K.

I give Sonic Colors A+.

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

;_; Is too broke to get anymore games....does anyone what to donate to the Sakura_Moonlight2421 Charity? JK, it would be nice though. lol.

supermonkey117

supermonkey117 said:

i really liked this this one i think sonics back on track the last good sonics were the adventures with great levels characters and awesome bosses well 1 was a bit easy but great level designs and perfect controls the adventure fields were a nice touch where colours have brought the fun back beautiful levels and a simple yet fun experience sonic has finally returned from rehab and on the mend