Billy Mitchell Back on Top of Donkey Kong

Posted by James Newton

And Donkey Kong Jr for fun, too

You may remember a recent article about former Donkey Kong world champion Steve Wiebe's induction into the International Video Game Hall of Fame, which took place yesterday. The event will likely be remembered for another reason though – the return of Billy Mitchell as the Donkey Kong world record holder.

Setting a new best score of 1,062,800 in a game that lasted a marathon 2 hours, 42 minutes, just edging past Hank Chien's previous best of 1,061,700. Did he narrowly beat the record? Not according to the press release, which claims he stopped just after passing the score, with Mitchell stating:

Some say I’m being cocky. Some say I’m being lazy. I say, I’m being Billy Mitchell.

Not only did he trump Hank Chien's best score at Donkey Kong, he also found himself with enough spare time on his hands to set a new best score at Donkey Kong Jr., scoring 1,270,900 in a game lasting just under four hours.

What will be the next intriguing twist in this back-and-forth barrel-bashing world record saga?

Related Games

y2josh

y2josh said:

Billy should join the WWE. He'd be a great "bad guy" wrestler. "I'M THE BILLY AND I'M AWESOME!!!"

Save_us.Steve

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Haha Billy loves this drama doesn't he? As soon as some poor sap beats this he'll bring his A-game and devastate them. The man is a machine!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

They'll definitely have to do a sequel for the '''king of Kong" documentary, soon there'll be more than enough extra events available to make one. :D

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

@josh: He'd say "I'm Billy, and I'm awesome... at arcade games!" and then flex his wrists and fingers. :D

@the people hating: He can afford to be smug, since he's got the skills to back up his ego (or "pay the bills", as it were)...

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

All I can say is WTF.

I woke up to a new champion.... Come on Steve, take back DK and DKJR!

Punny

Punny said:

Donkey Kong Country Returns, and now Donkey Kong Champion Returns? This year is more fun than a barrel you have to jump over!

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

the guy is king again but at tis rate it wont stay for long so much drama over 1 arcade game its insane

MrMartinLee

MrMartinLee said:

@heebeegeebee and NintyFan: I also wonder if it was a tape. He's got skill (at Donkey Kong) but I hope we're reading about a new high-score-holder soon...

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Maybe you should curse at Donkey Kong for throwing barrels at Mario (or previously known as "Jump Man") for 2 hours, 42 Minutes.

Yanagi

Yanagi said:

According to Twin Galaxies, Mitchell achieved both high scores with a referee as witness, so he did it live.

One thing that wasn't mentioned here: did you know that Mitchell did not take the Donkey Kong Jr. record from Wiebe? Mark Kiehl actually topped Wiebe's high score a couple of months ago in an arcade in my home state, Missouri. Not that big of a deal, now, though.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

I liked the King of Kong but it was working a specific angle to make this guy into a pantomime villain... Adds to the narrative drama I guess. Impressive game skills though, no question.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

uugghhh....I really don't like that smug douche. Please someone take the record back!!!!(Preferably Steve)

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

Go Billy.
Yes, he's arrogant. But people need to realize he's not truly as much of a douche as he's portrayed in King of Kong; even Steve has said as much. Billy just makes for a great "villan".

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

@Rally
I do agree with that. Steve is certainly awesome and humble, and comes across as just a genuinely good guy.

And Lol @ "moar" =)

BF-Medic

BF-Medic said:

You just have to love these people, where do they get the motivation to play these games over and over for hours? Go Billy!!! ;)

Zach

Zach said:

When Billy Mitchell has trouble going to sleep, he counts the things that he's said hoping to be quoted.