Reggie: 3DS is Our Next Handheld Platform

Posted by James Newton

Finally, someone on the inside speaks up

Although Reggie Fils-Aime likes to shoot the breeze about rival hardware, it's something of a surprise to hear him speak about upcoming Nintendo machines, but in a recent interview with Businessweek he acknowledged the existence of the 3DS and its role in Nintendo's future.

Although predictably very little information about the machine was revealed, save for confirmation it would include backward compatibility with DS software, Reggie did say, “the Nintendo 3DS for us is our next handheld platform.” Whether this means there won't be another iteration of the standard DS is yet to be seen, as we know Nintendo likes to tinker, though if the 3DS is to be shown off in June it's unlikely we'll see another version of the DSi to cannibalise the 3DS's launch excitement.

[via businessweek.com]

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

"If you don't buy 3DS, I will punch you in the face"

:D

Oh, Prosody...

Also, hooray for confirmation. E3 can't come soon enough...

JimLad

JimLad said:

Looks like he's been taking a lot of time off getting a tan. Occasionally giving interviews with forbes or MTV. :/

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

Wow Reggie mentions the 3DS.
At least Nintendo next portable is a propper system than the 2 DSi crap.

Despair1087

Despair1087 said:

hey i was thinking... "3DSware" sounds kinda stupid. i guess it sounds okay, but not as awesome as DSiware.

"DSiware" sounds bitchin'!

Machu

Machu said:

Best caption ever! :D

I had a thought though... is it gonna be possible to show off the 3D effect at E3? Obviously it'll be fine for those on the showfloor, but what about the rest of us. 0.o

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

@Machu

Given how the tech supposedly being used for 3D only works when you're holding the console about 1 ft. or so away from your face, we'll unfortunately just have to trust what media with access on the showfloor says, I think. I can't see Ninty adopting 3D without making it really awesome (insert VB metaphor here). I'm sure it will also provide a substantial graphical upgrade in 2D as well, given it's supposed to have GCN power, so that WILL be exciting to see.

Machu

Machu said:

@Token Girl: We'll have to rely on Corbie's impressions I guess. Oh my god he picked the right year to go. Wow!

It's gonna be great, even once we've heard everything there is to know, we still won't fully understand until we've shoved our nose into the thing. I can already see small crowds gathering around demo units in gameshops. The word will spread, and Nintendo will pwn, again. :)

Crunc

Crunc said:

I thought I read that Pokemon Black/White would be DS games. So they'd work on the 3DS, but not be for the 3DS. Maybe they'll be 3DS enhanced, though, if that's possible. I'm wondering if they are going to do something like they did with the GBC - 3D-ize 2D games. And just as badly. ;^)

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Keep the name DSiWare. That's all I ask of them.

3DSWare = add a special section for that in the Shop and I'll be pleased.

fishman100

fishman100 said:

Hmmm, i wonder if you can use the 3ds technology to create some astounding games...like the legend of zelda for the 3ds!!! that would be killer!

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

YES!!!! I'll get this if it comes out in 2 years.... if it comes earlier then I'll probably wait and enjoy the DSi I had for only a little more than a year now.

cheese

cheese said:

Wow, I'm still recovering from that hilarious caption I don't think I'll be able to process this information any time soon.

ODOGG618

ODOGG618 said:

Reggie needs to read about Kid Icarus. He's flying a little close to the sun....

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Well, crap! What to do with my precious DSi downloads? Makes me glad I ran out of space on it :'( I guess I'll wait and download the Game N' Watch series and others on the new 3DS. Maybe Nintendo will set up a system where if you have your ClubNintendo account linked to both units, you can get download vouchers to redownload free-of-charge on your 3DS unit. And please, Nintendo, give us more flash memory this time, 2Gb minimum! It's bloody cheap enough now (2Gb microSD cards can be got for under $10 at major retail stores) that there should be no excuse to skimp on flash memory anymore.

I'll only prolly redownload Pictobits and a select few others...

Dangit, I'm gonna have to preorder this baby. Anybody know when Gamestop will start taking preorders?