Suda51 Keen on Making Game With Nintendo

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Would be "very interested" if the opportunity arose

When you think about it, Nintendo games are ****ing crazy insane. You've got foxes and amphibians piloting starships, pink shapeshifting blobs, and space bounty hunters more focused on eradicating entire species and blowing up planets than collecting bounties. Not to mention Italian plumbers from Brooklyn who eat "power" mushrooms to do battle with ungodly creatures like flying hammer-wielding turtles with little helmets on while getting very little actual plumbing done.

Another industry figure in general known for their off-the-wall games is Goicha Suda, also known as Suda51, of Grasshopper Manufacture, Inc, the man behind the decidedly oddball No More Heroes and Killer 7. But will the two ever cross development paths?

In an interview with CVG, Suda was asked whether he'd ever want to produce a first-party Nintendo game. Turns out he's quite keen on the idea:

If there was the possibility, I'd be very interested. But I'd have to be able to create an original title.

Suda contributed to Super Smash bros. Brawl, donchaknow, and the Grasshopper Manufacture/Tecmo collaboration Fatal Frame IV was published by Nintendo in Japan, so the relationship is surely there. All it seems to need is some sort of catalyst.

Thanks to Robert for the tip!

[via computerandvideogames.com]

Saber

Saber said:

with all these stupid ideas of nintendo, you would think they were making the biggest new toy for 12 yr old boys lol

Maybe this is why I still play my ps2

JakobG

JakobG said:

So?
Is it unusual that a popular developer is interested in collaborating with another developer, especially if the other dev happens to be one of the biggest videogame industry of all time?

mnementh

mnementh said:

makes sense that Suda wants to make games with the best and largest videogame company of the world.

Caliko

Caliko said:

Looks like it wont be happening since he wants to create a fresh new ORIGINAL game for Nintendo.

"Sounds good, but we're slightly torn on this one. While an original Grasshopper/Suda game developed in conjunction with Nintendo would surely come out stellar, we can't help but ponder what wonders could be done with an existing-but-dormant franchise like Kirby coming from the mind behind Travis Touchdown and Harman Smith."

See that's what's hurting Nintendo. I dont wanna see Kirby 10. I want to see a new franchise, one of the last original IP's Nintendo made became the biggest thing to ever hit gaming. Pokemon.

AVahne

AVahne said:

New IP made by Suda and Nintendo? Nice idea, but I also would like new entries in all of Nintendo's other franchises(and not just Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Pokemon and Pikmin)
Oh well, Nintendo's developers make the games they want, and they always do great work

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

I've never played a Suda51 game since all the ones I've seen from him so far are either really good but M-rated, or just T-rated but mediocre (that's okay, of course, considering he tries so many new things that they can't all turn out brilliant).

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

@'WereBeaver'

I think you might have missed the point. Suda 51's games are typically a critique or commentary and not meant to be interpreted literally. If you think "potty jokes and gore" is what defines his work then you are not seeing the whole picture.

WereBeaver

WereBeaver said:

@Betagam7

Can't take a joke? I'm very familiar with Suda51. He's one of my favorite developers and has made some of the most unique games that I've ever played. Some just happened to contain lots of gore and potty jokes. I'd love to see him collaborate with Nintendo. I didn't think people were so defensive on this site...

Paperclip

Paperclip said:

Suda could definitely do some crazy sh*t. Imagine Zelda, but your hero doesn't get the Triforce of Courage. He gets the Triforce of Power and has to stop the evil mastermind with the Triforce of Wisdom, while trying to save a courageous chick who's always getting into trouble....... That would be AWESOME.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

As if they're anywhere near as good to make a game for Nintendo.

What a funny thought.

psychoboo13

psychoboo13 said:

@rondowhip123
Stupid ideas? OK, maybe nintendo's not as "adult" as xbox and ps3, but the games are way better, and the franchises are amazing. nintendo was first, and it will probably last the longest out of anyone. so go back to your COD, I'll stick with mario and link.

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

WereBeaver, yes I can take a joke but I didn't see one in your comment which read more like a stereotype. Its like with the people who complain about the "faults" with Flower Sun and Rain's gameplay. Do they really think that Suda and Grasshopper didn't put those in intentionally? It's called commentary on a medium not intentionally bad gameplay design.

I'm sure you'll agree that It's hilarious that some people take No More Heroes seriously when everything about it is a veiled criticism of gamers and gaming culture in general. The over the top gore, swearing and toilet humour just adds to that.

Suda has been producing interesting thematic work since he first contributed that infamous ending to Super Firepro Wrestling Special. He doesn't always pull it off but his efforts are inevitably interesting all the same simply because he's one of few developers who offers that extra level of meaning in his games. It's a shame that people seem to see him as nothing but an M-rated gore merchant just because he made a game that subtly critiques those types of games.