Podcast: Episode 11 - Game of the Year 2009!

Posted by James Newton

Who grabbed the shiny gold trophies? Results revealed inside!

We launched our Game of the Year Awards in the last podcast, and now the results have been cast and independently verified it's time to announce the victors and honour them in a stream of audio goodness.

We'll reveal the games we at Nintendo Life believe to be 2009's best, with individual awards for Wii, DS, WiiWare and DSiWare, as well as gongs for the top developers on both download formats and the best looking and sounding games of the past twelve months. That's a whole lotta gold.

We've also got an exclusive interview with Nnooo's Nic Watt, where we take a look back at his 2009 and try to squeeze out a few details of his upcoming projects, and we also have a quick chat with Yen Hau from Rising Star Games about... well, with this being a Game of the Year podcast and all, it doesn't take a genius to work that one out.

Get the Flash Player to see this player.

To avoid the gnashing of teeth that comes with missing podcast episodes, subscribe to our Podcast feed (using iTunes) or download it using this direct link. You can also find us on iTunes, so show the podcasts some love as there is plenty more good stuff lined up for the future.

Machu

Machu said:

Wow! That was tense! :O

That's all I can say so as not to spoil.... WOW!

TorisuRSG

TorisuRSG said:

Wow! Thanks NintendoLife and thanks NintendoLife readers. A lovely start to 2010. :D

Objection

Objection said:

Wow, a lot of ties. Good to see Nostalgia and Muramasa in the top 5, though I won't say exactly where. You gotta listen too, Person-Reading-My-Comment.

Percentful

Percentful said:

I'm not suprised at all that NSMBW made 1st place, but it's too bad my game didn't even make an appearance.
I can't wait for the full write-up tommorow!

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Shame that Punch-Out!! didn't get more respect.
And it looks like I'm officially going to have to buy Little King's Story now.

You know what else surprised me: no mention of Wii Sports Resort. That was a superb game, not only because it perfectly showcased the WiiMotionPlus, but because it was so jam-packed with content and addicting minigames. Certainly deserved a spot in the top 5, but whatevs.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Going to listen to this later. But If i don't hear a certain game starring two plumbers and a dragon on there...

Luigi-La-Bouncy

Luigi-La-Bouncy said:

Interesting...
But my Wii games of the year are:

1. Wii Sports Resort.
2. Rabbids Go Home
3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I hate hearing pipe dreams. They always make me sad. There is no way they'll get a Nintendo themed notebook out, let alone a Pokemon MMO. For some reason, Nintendo hasn't been very generous with their lisenses this gen. Last gen you had Mario appearing in everything and Link appearing in Soul Calibur 2. What we have this gen is a cancelled version of Link and Samus in a MUA game. Also Sega All-Star Racing doesn't include any first party character on the Nintendo platform but they do on the others.

Has Nintendo really gotten so arrogant they won't let any 3rd parties use any of their properties except Miis?

donth8

donth8 said:

Overall, 2009 was a great year with lots of great games. Kinda dissappointed of where MPT was. Let's hope that this year will be even better.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

@Odnetnin Ah yes, indeed I did. Funnily enough that is the only DSiWare review I have done. Maybe that's why I like it so much. Precipice is the US title, it's the same game :-)

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

A number of us know (or nnooo lol) what the next app is. As much as I love posting dsi photos to facebook, heck I got Foto Face just for that, I don't see much use the average downloader will find with myPost...I mean nnooo's next app. It sounds a bit complicated to get the most of it for what will essentially be a simplistic download.

James

James said:

@DSIandWIIMASTER - just sound on the podcast, you wouldn't want to see our ugly mugs!

@brandonbwii - the interview with Nnooo was conducted before the photo of the next myLifeCollected app was released, hence Nic's cageyness. Still, sounds like it might be interesting!

Burn

Burn said:

Sweet, iTunes is downloading it right now.
I'm bubbling with anticipation.