Japan to Get Wii Budget Range

Posted by Brad Long

Rest of the world left waiting

Nintendo of Japan have finally introduced the "Minna no Osusume Collection" (or, for us English-speaking folk, the "Everyone's Recommendation Collection"), a range of re-released Wii titles to combat the 360 Classics and PS3 Platinum range.

Titles with high user rankings from the Japanese Nintendo Channel seem to be the way Nintendo are going about releasing this range, with an asking price of ¥2,800 (US$31) per title, which isn't bad. Each of these titles is then given the same rating that it's been given on the Nintendo Channel by its users. To start things off, these seven titles are being released:

Platinum
428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de (this game got a perfect Famitsu rating!)

Gold
Muramasa: The Demon Blade

*Silver
ARCRISE FANTASIA (Set to be released in North America this Summer)
Family Ski: World Ski & Snowboard (Otherwise known as We Ski & Snowboard)
ONE PIECE Unlimited Cruise: Episode One

Bronze
Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk
Dragonball Z Sparking! METEOR (Budokai Tenkaichi 3 to the rest of us!)

No news yet whether this is going to hit the rest of the world, but we'll be sure to let you know once we find out!

[via kotaku.com]

Cipher

Cipher said:

Mmm. Will be checking the ratings of recently-discontinued games on The Nintendo Channel later on. :P

Also, those box arts are... awful. Really, really awful.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

Holy this!!! I forgot the 428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de. Sega! Bring it to west! Don't need to voice it, subs will do!

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Looks like we have the "Player's Choice" games for Wii (even if only in Japan). Go Nintendo! :)

AVahne

AVahne said:

don't tell me they'll put the new stuff that Europe version had into the other versions of Tales of Symphonia 2. its nice but i already have the game, won't be fair that old owners of the game won't get the new stuff

madgear

madgear said:

I don't like Player's Choice games - I always want the original for some reason. I have no idea why either.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Apparently the boxes are slipcovers or otherwise reversible (which is thankful as they take the "look at me, I'm cheap now. Buy me" thing budget releases have and make a whole promo poster of it).

The only problem with America/Europe and this range is a good majority of the good 3rd party games (which I imagine would be rated high) can already be got for the price the line-up would be.

Wonder if we'll ever get the same for first party. Nah, people still pay good money for them (well the ones which aren't discontinued anyway and the discontinued ones generally struggled to sell at prices around or less than a budget release would be)

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Hmm...I like this system! First time a Player's Choice-type system has been based on actual user scores instead of just sales numbers. I'm sure Nintendo will continue to hold out as long as possible before releasing any of their own titles in this series, but MAYBE they'll bring back WarioWare: Smooth Moves if it has a good enough average rating...that'd be awesome!

@Starwolf_UK: I checked the Kotaku link, but didn't see anything about that slipcover/reversable thing you mentioned. Not that it would surprise me, given their track record regarding the NPC series. I think it's a good way to do it.

Here's hoping NoA jumps on board with this system soon! I mean, they'll undoubtably "Americanize" the boxes if they do (can't see that Japanese style making it over here), but it's still a good deal, eh?:D

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

It was speculation based off of this:
I've tried hand entering the text into google but I can't make any sense of it (most likely entering the wrong katakana).
Edit: The budget boxart says 'Sleeve' while the other one says 'Package' (I was entering the katakana right it is just my brain wasn't making any sense out of the romaji), that implies they come in a sleeve format. To top off with a useless fact: The soundtrack comes out after this budget release and will actually cost more (game soundtracks are a niche, dedicated market).

Edit: http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=232270
At least NoE didn't rule it out completely.

Willy105

Willy105 said:

Great for Japan! We need that here!

The box design is fantastic, but unfortunately, because Sony uses red for their budget titles, it may have to be a different color if it comes Stateside.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

4 of these games I never would've expected, although it does look hopeful. Would be nice if they did something like that over here.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

that is really cool. i like that they're actually doing something for players with the information they're gathering via the Nintendo Channel. :3

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Starwolf_UK: That's promising enough to me that the regular box is still in there anyway. Also nice is the open-ended "no plans right now" comment from NoE. Somehow, I get the feeling Reggie would just shout an emphatic "NO," even it was actually going to launch in April or something.:P

@TBD: Agreed on that point. I wasn't thinking of it that way before, but you're right, that IS good to know! Makes me feel better about spending the time to post my recommendations.:)

motang

motang said:

One thing I have always wondered about it, why hasn't there been 'Player's Choice' for the Wii? I would love for this to come out here (with better box art of course).

City_Of_Delusion

City_Of_Delusion said:

Player's Choice: quite literally. It'll be a good excuse to dust off Metroid Prime Trilogy and send it back to the pressers, it's Platinum rated over here.