Interviews: Super Meat Boy - Team Meat

Posted by Corbie Dillard

The insane guys at Team Meat lay it all out for your viewing pleasure.

We recently caught up with Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes of Team Meat and took the opportunity to get a progress report on the development of their upcoming WiiWare title Super Meat Boy.

Now before we proceed with the interview, it's worth mentioning that this little Q&A isn't for the feint of heart and if there are any little children in the room, send them away now! Don't say we didn't warn you. :D

Nintendo Life: Has there been any aspect of the Wii that's really impressed you, from a development standpoint?

Tommy Refenes: Nope.

Edmund McMillen: Yes.

NL: When it came time to develop Super Meat Boy for the WiiWare service, what was the first thing that popped into your mind as far as being something you wanted to do on the Wii that you couldn't do using Flash?

Edmund: The first thing I thought was...wow we can take this Flash game and make it good. Honestly Flash has so many limits it's insane...it doesn't use any kind of graphics card acceleration at all so its very easy to bog down gameplay by trying to make things look pretty...I mean you saw how simple the flash version was...yet it still had lag at times and the later levels took a few seconds to load after you died. Its stuff like that and the touchy controls that really held the flash game back a lot.

On the Wii we can basically get away with anything we want, fully animated environments (see Tommy's animation exporter) with no lag, huge boss fights, tons of partical effects, lighting/shadows and very tight and precise controls. Hell Flash doesn't even have built in gamepad support...Tommy had to make a flash joystick program for flash so people could use a gamepad with the original Meat Boy.

Tommy: Yea just getting out from under the limitations of Flash opens up a whole new world. I'm making all kinds of tools for Edmund to use and he's still learning that limits are for jerks and lazy jerks.

NL: Is there any aspect of the Wii console that's really impressed you as a developer?

Tommy: Still Nope.

Edmund: I like that I can play Viewtiful Joe, Wind Waker and Eternal Darkness on it.

NL: Can you give us an update as far as where you are development-wise on Super Meat Boy? Still on schedule to finish before the end of the year?

Edmund: We will be showing a playable demo of Super Meat Boy at PAX. We are still early in development because getting the foundation finished takes a bit of time, but you will start to see lots of gameplay footage by early September.

Tommy: Yes, the first part of development was mainly retooling the engine from Goo! to be super cross platform and also making the Tools that Edmund would use to build levels, animations, etc. The better the tools are for Edmund, the less work I have to do to add animations, particle effects, cut scenes, etc which allows me to perfect systems and code gameplay. Those tools are done now, we are full steam ahead.

NL: You mentioned Nintendo bumping the release of Super Meat Boy into 2010. How did that sit with you?

Edmund: It sat on my face and I enjoyed it.

Tommy: I filmed it.

NL: How would you compare the controls of Super Meat Boy against those found in the original Meat Boy Flash game?

Tommy: I wouldn't compare them.

Edmund: I would...the controls in the flash version compared to the console version is like comparing the death of a loved one to an orgasm.

NL: What's the single biggest improvement you've been able to make over the original Flash release?

Edmund: I'd have to say that the game is probably the thing that's been most improved.

Tommy: I totally agree :)

NL: Will there be a level editor in Super Meat Boy and how in-depth will it be for the player?

Tommy: We might make it available to the user, we might not...it depends on how I feel about people the day we have to finalize that decision...so everyone be nice...mumbles bunch of d*cks.

NL: Any chance we might see downloadable content for Super Meat Boy?

Edmund: DLC is for game designers that lack integrity.

Tommy: There will be DLC in SMB, there will be a 1K download that will unlock like 50 characters..we promise it isn't included in the original game...also it costs $5.00 NO REFUNDS!

NL: Can you give us a ballpark figure of how many levels we can expect from Super Meat Boy?

Edmund: 5 million

Tommy: NO, no Edmund, We agreed on 24 Million...DO NOT SCREW ME ON THIS.

Edmund: 4 million

Tommy: FINE, but I get to ride shotgun on the way home.

NL: What controllers will be supported in the game?

Tommy: All you're gunna need is your trusty Wiimote, 3 Balance Boards, a Power Glove, a Virtual Boy headset, R.O.B., Project Natal, and a picture of Abe Vigoda's left ball to get the real Meatboy experience.

NL: Any motion controls or are you sticking with the standard control method on this one?

Tommy: One method of play we are thinking about is having the user take 4 WiiMotes and strap one to each extremity. Then, their movements will be transferred 1 to 1 on screen. When they wall jump, MEATBOY WALL JUMPS! LOLZ! But seriously...no.

NL: You've already revealed several secret characters that will make an appearance in the game. Will they play a key role or are they merely there for show?

Edmund: We are playing around with them having more of a role in the game than we have mentioned before. Currently there will be hidden warp zones in levels, some might only be on screen for a limited amount of time, others could be very hard to reach places, each of these warps will send you into another game. Some of these levels will be from other indie games, others might just resemble retro games from the past, and others might just be hellish mind f*cks that make you want to die inside.

The indie game levels will have to be completed to unlock that character.

NL: If you had to describe Super Meat Boy in one word, what word would that be?

Tommy: Cockawesome

Edmund: Puppyboobs

NL: Are there any juicy tidbits of information on Super Meat Boy you could share with our readers?

Edmund: Super Meat Boy is actually an anagram for Amber Pets You.

Tommy: Its also an anagram for My Pubes Tearo

NL: Is there anything you'd like to share with our readers in closing?

Edmund: Yeah, heres a picture of something totally random from SMB, totally exclusive!

We here at Nintendo Life want to thank Edmund and Tommy for taking time out of their busy schedules to take part in this interesting interview! We've got to say, it's the most entertaining one we've done to date. (Now if I could only get that Abe Vigoda image out of my head!) :D

Untitled

The first person that posts the identity of the secret hidden character shown above and locates the full picture of it wins a free WiiWare game of their choosing. :)

Corbs said:

And yes, I realize I asked the first question twice. But their responses were so funny, I couldn't take it out. And yes, these guys are as insane as they sound! :D

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

the most entertainment, but also the less informative.
It's awsome to make jokes on a interview but if isn't informative as well, it's isn't worth a dime. imo.

Kim_Jong-Il

Kim_Jong-Il said:

@ Pinguy
It doesn't really matter. These people are cool so they will tell us that it's awesome in the comments too.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

WE USE CUSS WERDS!!! OH LOOK PUPPEEBEWBS!

Eh might still give the game a chance...this was just a festering boil filled with suckjuice...seriously, on a scale of lost to somerespectforthisdeveloper, it strikes a solid 7.

Corbie sponsored that sentence.

Kim_Jong-Il

Kim_Jong-Il said:

@ Swerd
Are you offended by swearing? Because the only people I know who use the word cuss are offended by it.

Corbs said:

The first one that can tell us who that secret character is and locate the full picture of it gets a free WiiWare game of their choice. :)

I kept thinking it might be a Boingz, but I can't find a pic that matches that.

Corbs said:

You know, I thought that might be it too, but there's no gray or that inside color anywhere on that female Meat Boy character.

And you can try to get it as often as you like. We're just trying to figure out who it is. :)

Corbs said:

I even blew up the pic to see if that matched anywhere. Doesn't. That was one of the graphics I was going to put in the interview, but left out. I thought about it at first, but when I couldn't find the gray, I moved on.

Corbs said:

We don't know. Could be a Meat Boy character, could be a hidden character like Tim from Braid or Alien Homonid.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

That interview removed all credibility I had on the developers on Super Meat Boy. (Then again, I never had any credibility for NewsGrounds in the beginning.)

Corbs said:

It could be readily available. Here is the exact quote that came with the pic.

i also included a totally random screen shot of something in game as well as a tiny piece of an unannounced character image! who could it be!!!??? MYSTERIES!!! :)

Wiiperson11

Wiiperson11 said:

Is it Arthur from Ghosts'n Goblins? According to the game developers they were inspired by Megaman and Ghosts'n Goblins.

Corbs said:

Well I checked that too. In fact I ran that by all the known screenshots of the Wii game to date.

Corbs said:

I'm like OniNeoxes, I was thinking about the Blob at first too. And perhaps it's an in-game from the Super Meat Boy game that's a bit more detailed. I've even gone over the Xbox Live Arcade stuff.

cheese

cheese said:

I'm with Swerd, this interview was not funny. "Cockawesome, Puppyboobs" honestly, if you think that is funny then you should probably take a look at yourself and grow up. Not impressed Team Meat.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

Haha! Good stuff. These guys are a hoot, bodes well for the game if you ask me. Too many games taken themselves too seriously these days! :D

Awesome interview, Corbie!

Corbs said:

I was really hoping someone would take one look at this pice of artwork and know what it was. I'll keep looking around.

And OniNeoxes, you're vote is locked in. It very well could be the Blob.

TeMPO

TeMPO said:

These guys would make great politicians. They seem to be able to effectively dodge nearly every question thrown at them in any interview I've read without the interviewer ever saying "seriously mate, that's not an answer". Its actually quite impressive.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Darn, I was gonna guess the Blob too. I got a feeling though about who else it might be. Whoever it is, they've concealed it well.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Yeah... These guys are so not media trained... Really, people should just stop doing that anyway, seeing as interviews like these are much more entertaining anyway.

accc

accc said:

I'd think the secret character is from another indie game, not from Boy and His Blob. Could it Balrog from Cave Story? It looks a little too round, but the color scheme fits.

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

one of the greatest interviews ever, i was laughing a lot i can't wait for the game and i'll cry if it gets pushed back next year but the words puppyboobs/cockawesome will be stuck in my head all day

Vendetta

Vendetta said:

This seems like less of an interview and more of a disassociative therapy session with these guys. I'm sure it was funny in that I'm-not-so-sure-it-was-funny kind of way. It would have been nice if they hung up the comic relief for a little bit and answered the questions in a way that showed more respect for your time, Corbie. And ours as well.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

@KimJong

I'm not offended by cussing, profanity, whatever you feel the need to call it. I'm offended by two fools dodging questions with middle-school-esque fart joke BS and thinking it's creative/interesting/funny. Cuss all you want, but make it mean something.

My sense of humor rocks...its my sense of appreciate-mindlessly-spewed-junk that apparently needs retooling.

kaesStaff

kaes said:

Interesting interview as always!

@Team Meat: PLEASE make the level editor available. Level editors are perhaps mankind's greatest achievement.

Wiiperson11

Wiiperson11 said:

Sorry for the double post but I think it is the blue dude in Castle Crashers.
His body armor is grey and etc.

Objection

Objection said:

I'm going to place myself in the crowd who thought this interview was stupidly unfunny and definately unprofessional. Not only was it not clever, it only had a role in dodging questions gamers want answered. Well, guess what, Team Meat? Instead, you just dodged a potential customer. Maybe quite a few.

odd69

odd69 said:

not me, team meat had me bought on this day one. this interview was awesome, and they dodge questions because they are not ready to answer them yet.

anthonyb

anthonyb said:

I don't understand why everyone is offended by the language. "you should probably take a look at yourself and grow up." How about you grow up and stop making such a big deal? I'd think letting something like "Cockawesome" offend you is a sign of immaturity.

Mabbit

Mabbit said:

HA! i got edmund's email. ill try to squeeze the information out of him!!

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Compare what these guys say to what the @#$?!s at Adult Swim say. I really don't find this offensive. :P

Mabbit

Mabbit said:

i emailed the guy who made the game an he replied!. he said he couldn't tell me who it was, but he DID give me a hint

Popyman

Popyman said:

Wow, most of you people must have not played Gish, huh? That game is amazing and shows what these guys can do.

As for the picture, I have no idea.

Mabbit

Mabbit said:

another hint from the developer... the character is NOT one of the characters that hey have announced yet

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Thanks for sharing with the rest of us. The second hint I kinda guessed. And Dr. Fetus has already been revealed so keep guessing.

Corbs said:

I'm still looking over the indie stuff on Xbox Live Arcade. :)

cheese

cheese said:

@anthonyb
I'm sorry but I never said this offended me. I think you should get your facts straight before you go putting words into other people's mouths. I am not offended by "cockawesome, puppyboobs" I just consider them utterly stupid responses which do nothing to inform the reader. I'm just going to go ahead and say it, I think these guys are "a bunch of d*cks". And just like Objection_Blaster, there is absolutely no chance in hell that I will buy this game.

Mabbit

Mabbit said:

i got one more hint guys! sorry but i cant tell you it because it may tip the character off to you guys. im on the verge of finding it

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Oh c'mon. How fair is that? How come they didn't inform Nintendo Life of these hints and leave the rest of us in the dark?

Mabbit

Mabbit said:

well, ok ill tell you (even though now i will lose the prize i was so close to getting :( ). its a very indie character from a popular game on tigsource.com

jbrodack

jbrodack said:

That kind of sense of humor isn't for everyone. Probably more appreciated by Adult swim fans, hardcore indie fans, or fans of crazy stuff like JTHM. I personally liked it as they answered some questions in depth and instead of just saying no or we can't say they gave entertaining answers.

HOT-ROD

HOT-ROD said:

Man, I cannot find anything looking like that image. I almost think a zoomed in image of Balrog from Cave Story, but it seems too round. I have no idea.

Corbs said:

I went through all 31 pages of the Top indie games on that site and I didn't see anything that matched it. I'm like HOT-ROD, I kept coming back to Cave Story but I've yet to find a graphic that matched that one up top.

Mabbit

Mabbit said:

I've been emailing Edmund McMillen back and forth and I'm trying to get another hint from him.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Same with me guys. I've tried finding images for Cave Story (and a couple other things I'm pretty sure about) but no dice. I think the hardest part is proving it with the image.

Corbs said:

They could be. LOL. I hope not. I just want to know what character that is. It's driving me crazy. :D

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Anyone with a wicked sense of humour like this is bound to put some kick-@$$ Easter Eggs into the game!

Super Meat Boy :O = Amber Pets You :* = My Pubes Tearo B-)

Knowing these guys, they are gonna be the ones to bury some type of lude joke or pun:
" /> into the game somewhere that Nintendo and the ESRB will mistaken for mindless prattle. A video leaks out on Youtube shortly after the game's release, and the scandal ensues, resulting in tons of download royalties for Team Meat. A month or two after release, the rating goes up from E10 to M after angry moms call in with complaints. Indy devs have a lot more flexibility when it comes to games, hehehe :D :D :D

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I'm guessing Barog from Cave Story.

What's the deal with their answers? What didn't surprise or impress them about the hardware? They seem so damn cocky. They seem like the type where if SMB doesn't sell, they'll lose their cool and complain that it was because no lisense was attached to it or some BS. Then go off and get drunk somewhere instead of admitting they could've done better.

NNoah95

NNoah95 said:

It's Band-aid girl, the character you're trying to save in the original Meat-Boy, At least that's what I think her name is.