Melee! Pokemon Scramble announced for WiiWare

Posted by Christopher Clark

Pokemon meets Smash TV in the upcoming four-player action-RPG.

The Japanese Pokemon site was updated today with the announcement of a new Pokemon game called Melee! Pokemon Scramble, available exclusively for the WiiWare downloadable service.

Developed by Ambrella (My Pokemon Ranch) and set for release on June 16th in Japan for 1500 Nintendo Points, Melee! Pokemon Scramble is a real-time action-RPG in which players control, collect and battle clockwork Pokemon toys in an epic quest to - you guessed it - become the ultimate Pokemon master.

The player directly controls their chosen Pokemon using the Wiimote held sideways, battling dozens of Pokemon simultaneously in real time. The single-player component starts the player off with a lowly Pokemon which must venture forth into the wild in order to train against wild Pokemon (including some menacing boss fights), capture new Pokemon and earn currency which can be used to upgrade your roster.

Once your Pokemon are strong enough they can be entered in the Battle Royal which pits twelve trainers against each other in a frantic last-man-standing bout. The fun doesn't stop there, either - up to four players can take on the Battle Royal together via local multiplayer in both competitive and co-operative modes. Sheesh!

View the official trailer below:

There is currently no release date for Melee! Pokemon Scramble internationally. Expect updates on Melee! Pokemon Scramble here at Nintendo Life as they come to hand.

[via pokemon.co.jp]

VALERHU

VALERHU said:

Only thing that comes to mind is smash bros melee.

edit 1: I think I'll pick this up, as im a mild pokemon fan. (and smash bros fan)

edit 2: to grab more attention you should have made the title super smash bros melee 3d pokemon remake :p

Terra

Terra said:

1500 points is rather steep. but i did like what i saw in the video. Certainly different than usual and i am a fan of action RPG's so I'm considering it. Price is the deal breaker here if/when they release it in Europe. Certainly hoping they lower the price when we get it

zeeroid

zeeroid said:

looks entertaining at the very least... though i doubt i'll pick it up at its hefty price of 1500. if it was 1000, i might consider it. looks like a good time.

VALERHU

VALERHU said:

I'd say if you liked super smash bros melee or brawl, it should be something you'd like. It has 12 players, which is also a nice feature. It seems to have a story mode, which is normally $10/£10 + anyways, so id say it would be worth it. Just to be safe, I'm going to wait for a review though. Its the price of FFCC:MLAK (my life as a king) Which was a great game, so price might not matter here either.

Noire

Noire said:

This looks pretty good. Always wanted a little action in my Pokemon games. I'll probably get it when it gets released in America.

NikeXTC

NikeXTC said:

If it had online, I'd spend 1500 Wii Points on it... But if it has not, then I guess I won't take it...

Crazed

Crazed said:

This actually looks good. Although it is 1500 points, I would love to play this game. It would just be better with online, but for me, not a necesity.

Golgo

Golgo said:

Downloadable 'pokemon packs' and 'rare pokemon', I shouldn't be surprised?

SeniorDingDong

SeniorDingDong said:

Yeah ^^"

The idea even might have worked better in a fullscale Wii retail game... But I will get this version anyway because I love that kind of games and Pokemon offer a great world and combat system for it.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I say it looks more like Mystery Dungeon, only in real time and without all the tedious dungeon crawling.

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

Now this is funny, because the other day on the forums I posted that I would love to see a WiiWare remake of Smash TV. Well, this is close enough.

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

^It have Pokémon on it, of course you need to pay for the brand
Just like FF4After.
Sucess sometimes sucks.

XD375

XD375 said:

@People mentioning this being like Smash Bros.: This isn't a Smash Bros.-style game. It's more like a classic top-down run and gun game.

Objection

Objection said:

I like the new gameplay. It's a steep price though. I'd almost guarenteed get it if it was 1000 or even 1200. 1500 is a stretch...

tantrumario

tantrumario said:

It's kind of odd. I was just thinking of wanting a Pokemon game with no turn by turn fighting. I hope it has online multiplayer.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Something a little faster-paced (and I don't mean drawing a million circles around a pikachu) sounds like a winning concept for this series. What would really get me interested would be if I could use my pokémon from Diamond. Still, we all know how Nintendo likes to make pokémon spinoffs that fall a tad short of their potential. And that's putting it politely. I'm keeping an eye on this one, but I sure ain't gonna get my hopes up.

Invertedzero

Invertedzero said:

Looks like a mixture between Zelda:Four Swords and Pokemon Dungeon to me, with a concept or two from smash bros 3d experimentation. This is why i like Wiiware, nintendo can try out random experimental stuff without releasing it as a fully-fledged game (like how they had to with the original Smash Bros.), then based on that potentially produce a new franchise of game based around it

SonicMaster

SonicMaster said:

I watched the video earlier- this looks awesome! For once, a pokemon game is an action rpg!

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

Could this be what Junichi Masuda was hinting at when he mentioned he'd like to add an 'action element' to the franchise? In any case, I'll definitely be picking this one up if it is released here! An original twist on a classic franchise for only $22.50? Yes please!

Modern_Legend

Modern_Legend said:

This is kind of off topic, but how old do u have to be to be considered to old to play pokemon, cuz i thot the cut off was 10 once u get in the double digits, but seeing this makes me wanna pick up a pokemon title since i havent owned one since pokemon yellow and my bro's pokemon gold lol

Noire

Noire said:

@NintendoPurist: I was wondering the exact same thing. Hopefully this is just the beginning, though. I would love to see a true Pokemon action RPG for the DS.
@DaDun: You're never too old to play Pokemon. I passed the double digits a long time ago and I still get the urge to catch 'em all every time a new game comes out. At it's core, Pokemon is a solid, deceptively deep RPG that allows anyone of any age and skill level to enjoy the adventure.

Noire

Noire said:

@DaDun: Absolutely. It's the most fine-tuned Pokemon experience to come out so far, and there's so much to do, even after the game is done, that you could play for hundreds of hours (I have). Personally, this new generation is my favorite for Pokemon designs, with such awesome Pokemon as Infernape and Garchomp. And there's still something special about picking a starter Pokemon and going on an adventure with it, catching new Pokemon species, battling Gym Leaders for Badges, and watching your Pokemon grow from weaklings to unstoppable powerhouses.

Alexei123

Alexei123 said:

I am REALLY looking forward to this game! It looks AWESOME! They should have made it a proper Wii game and charged $100! I would have probably bought it anyway!

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

This is a must buy for me. I've always wanted a Pokémon game where you control the Pokémon directly in real time.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I'm not an RPG fan (anymore) but I don't mind the odd action, real time RPG (isn't Zelda, one of my current favourite games a kind of action rpg anyway?). This has my interest though the price is way too high for a ware.

duplicateuser001

duplicateuser001 said:

I'll definitely gonna get this because I've been wanting a pokemon game were you play as the pokemon since the series started!

deaftstar

deaftstar said:

This is not what we think it is. I don't think it will be anything like Super Smash Bros. How do I know this? Because the only way to make pokemon smash, is the maker of super smash to make it AND NO ONE ELSE!!! Or it won't work. I sure hope that he will soon because I've been dreaming of pokemon smash since I first played saffron city on the 64 version. I will totally play this game though, but don't be fooled just because it says "melee" in it. Someone tell me the name of the maker of super smash bros and let's get him to make pokemon smash and quick! Before someone else does!

deaftstar

deaftstar said:

deaftstar

deaftstar said:

deaftstar

deaftstar said:

deaftstar

deaftstar said:

Sorry I am on a blackberry and 4 times was unnecessary. Pokemon Super smash bros!!!