Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver officially announced

Posted by Christopher Clark

Classic GBC Pokemon games reborn, ten years on.

Nintendo of Japan has been hinting at it recently, but now the news is official - Pokemon Gold and Silver are being remade for the Nintendo DS!

Set for a Japanese release this Fall to co-incide with the original games' ten-year anniversary, the remakes (dubbed Heart Gold and Soul Silver) will be remade using the revised Pokemon Platinum engine and feature all the perks afforded to them by current hardware, including all-new graphics, music and additional content.

There are currently no official plans for an international release. If the handling of Pokemon Platinum is anything to go by we can expect Ninteno of America and/or Europe to spend the next several months denying the games even exist. Won't that be swell?

Keep an eye on Nintendo Life for more info on Heart Gold and Soul Silver as it comes to hand.

[via pokemon.co.jp]

Ragnor

Ragnor said:

I bet it'll be like FireRed and LeafGreen, being lazy and ruining the original balance by stuffing R/S data into the R/B setting. I hated that.

Jave

Jave said:

Definitely a must-get for me. Will probably go with Silver, since it sounds cooler.

Moai_Head

Moai_Head said:

@Ragnor - "balance"? What games were you playing? The GB/GBC games (moreso Blue/Red/Yellow, but Gold/Silver/Crystal too) were broken beyond comprehension.

mastersworddude

mastersworddude said:

I AM GONNA GET SILVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH I CANT WAIT TO SEE JOHTO/KANTO WITH D/P/P GRAPHICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

Let's hope it gets enhanced with online mode too! Aww yeah! This is gonna be great.

The only thing better would be if Nintendo made one where all the regions were fit into one game...

mastersworddude

mastersworddude said:

Seriously guys im gonna piss my pants, and i am learning japanese and ill import it when it comes out in japan.
If a release dates announced i am going to have a heart attack.

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

OH GOD!
I really going to buy this for me, it's like a dream come true.
Generation II is my favorite and the best one imo.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

I rather wait till "Whatever" Crystal, its bound to happen, and I wouldn't feel so ripped off if I did get these two.

Chipmunk777

Chipmunk777 said:

I never played any pokemon games beyond red/blue, but my little sister was obsessed with the silver version. She played it so much (I think she was at like 100+ hours on one file) that the game stopped working :P So, I'm sure she'll be excited to hear about this!

y2josh

y2josh said:

this is gonna be so freaking sweet. too bad it didnt originate in america so we'd get it sooner :(

metakirbyknight

metakirbyknight said:

I hated Pokemon beyond the color and metal gens but now I can I have my favorite Pokemon games (as in the two I actually enjoy) on my DSi.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Dang. DSi VC news would have been so much better. I mean, I don't care about Pokemon, so I guess I was just hoping the big announcement would manage to connect with something I do care about. Oh well.

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

Zzz...
...zzz...
...zzz...hm? Wha?
You woke me up!

Will you check the clock for me?
What time is it?
(10:00 PM)

How many minutes?
(00 min)

WHOA! 10:00 PM!
No wonder it's so dark!

One of only a few things that probably won't be in HeartGold and SoulSilver. Ah...the memories...they come-a floodin' back...like the Lake of Rage in the summer...filled with an outbreak of Gyarados...and a bizarre ringing in the ears...

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@colmtheperson: Probably, but Nintendo knows full well that they can make a LOT more money selling millions upon millions of copies of these remakes.

As long as they don't add any stupid Pokemon past #251, I'll definitely get Silver (my brother will get Gold, of course, just like 10 years ago...dang, was I really 10 when the games first released?). Then I can be a part of the Pokemon conversation at Gamestop again! :)

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Awesome! I wonder how they'll work this with Platinum/Pearl/Diamond.

Also means they'll likely release a new Battle Revolution that'll be compatible.

ALSO MEANS I MIGHT FINALLY BE ABLE TO GET A FREAKIN CELEBI

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

I think I just crapped my pants! I can't wait to play these games again with D/P/P graphics, and without the constant worry that the cartridge battrery's gonna die!

Ah, the memories. Destroying the Electrodes in the Team Rocket's hideout, picking out my Cyndaquil, the Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage...

Hopefully they won't taint the experience my including R/S/E pokemon (even though they probably will). :P

Oh, and I'm getting Silver, cuz it was the version I don't have (had it once, but sold it for some reason).

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

This is the best Pokemon new I've ever herd. hopefully one of the new features is the ability to transfer pokemon from the GBA games... I really don't want to get D/P/P. GS was my favorite series.
@ SmaMan that game would have to be on the Wii

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

Im definatly getting this one. Gold/Silver/Crystal were my favourite of the pokemon series. Havent even bought a pokemon game since Ruby since that game really turned me off the series. I hated it. Hopefully they will stick to the original 251 (Is that the right amount?) pokemon and not add all the new ones.

City_Of_Delusion

City_Of_Delusion said:

My favourite Pokemon game was Silver. I never really understood the appeal of Blue, but I got damn close to finishing Silver.

That said, exposure to Pearl pretty much confirms that I have well and truly fallen off the Pokemon bandwagon, so I'll probably pass this time round.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

Finally! (I am so gong to buy Soul...)

By the way, they seemed to break the "convention" Fire Red/Leaf Green set. I mean that people were thinking "Shiny Gold", "Dawn Gold", or something similar in naming to FR/LG, but "Heart" and "Soul" broke that mindset.

Mama_Luigi

Mama_Luigi said:

I think i might get one of these Pokémon games, but if you need to buy both to get every single Pokémon, then i'll pass.

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

@Stuffgamer1
FireRed and LeafGreen had the new pokemon to make it compatible with R/S/E.
So expect the same treatment with this one. (but in FireRed and LeafGreen the new ones, apeared in special areas and most of them you could only catch them after beating the Pk League and with some completed entries in Pkdex)

@Mama Luigi
you can't catch all pokemon in ANY official version without trading. (well without cheating that is.)
Trade with friends, if you don't have friends with Pkmn, trade with people on forums using friend codes, or in the last option trade with random people (but it's a bit difficult this last one, i think)

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

@MrPinguy
Hopefully they'll put in the World Trade Center thingy from Pearl/Diamond. Also, I'm ok with putting the R/S and P/D Pokemon in it. Makes the game feel newer I think.

Mama_Luigi

Mama_Luigi said:

@ MrPinguy
Aww, and i thought you could do that in every Gameboy Color pokémon games.

Party_On_Dude

Party_On_Dude said:

Well first of all, I least expected those Pokemon G&S remake rumors to come true; but now I guess I can jump for joy!! :)
This is indeed the BEST NEWS EVER; & for a month away from E309... bet Nintendo will announce something about them by then what do you expect?! ;)

Also I don't mind remakes at all; just not too many! But Pokemon G&S, & even Crystal were the best of the GameBoyColor gen; & my favorites other than R/B/&Y! How many hours I spent playing them with the Pokemon Stadium games making me zip through them within a few hours time; & coppying many tms & rare candies!! ;)
I just hope these remakes let you trade with our current Pokemon DS lineup of D/P/&Ptm... & maybe possibly link wirelessly to the Wii someday; like with My Pokemon Ranch (which still needs a Ptm update for NA BTW)!! ;)

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

They done it with Red and Green (Fire Red and Leaf Green for the GBA ;)) So.. I'll guess next Nintendo handheld will have Remakes of Ruby/Sapphire..

geek-master

geek-master said:

i got pokemon pearl so it will be great to add more people to my friends list :D after this games comes to america.

geek-master

geek-master said:

can anyone give me there friend code for pokemon pearl/dimond/platnum it would be wonderfull to make new friends :D

papermario128

papermario128 said:

I'm sick of Pokemon games but i might get this since i skipped platinum. I'm gonna get the gold because that is what i had on my GBC.

Gamer1030

Gamer1030 said:

SmaMan, there's a reason they didnt call the global trading station the WTC >_>. Also, I hope Crystals changes stay, we know the female character will at least be available. GSC rocks, awesome news indeed.

AVahne

AVahne said:

the first pokemon game i ever bought and beat was Silver,and to me that game is the best Pokemon game ever created!now if i can get a DS or DSi for myself then i can finally relive the old days of Pokemon Silver! especially since my cartridge of GBC Silver was stolen years ago....

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

I don't know, I just feel this could be different from Fire Red and Leaf Green that we might see a Something Crystal. If not, then by the time I realize that then I will get the game since I really liked Silver a lot, but I was not much of a fan with the starters (including the original).

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I never got the chance to play Pokemon Gold or Silver. Now I'm definitely picking up both of these games! This is such great news! I simply cannot wait to catch em all!!!:)

03bgood

03bgood said:

I have a feeling the games will use D/P/P's style of graphics and music. Wanna bet?

super-nintendo

super-nintendo said:

I have never played a Pokemon game (runs for cover..lol) and I have always had Game Boy's over the years since the original GB Tetris. You guys have me excited to FINALLY see what this mega popular series is all about. Should I buy both Gold and Silver? :)

Knux

Knux said:

I had retired from Pokemon a couple of years ago. But this looks like the perfect way to unretire from Pokemon! WOOHOO!

Cthuloops

Cthuloops said:

I feel pretty old now too. I remember the day that Pokemon Blue came out. I got that and a Gameboy Color. Wow. :O

Kit

Kit said:

Having already caught 'em all, I don't see much point in getting Gold or Silver now. Not unless they introduce a few new legendaries or something like that. In the mean time, come on Platinum!

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

^ Thats right! ^^
I have a feeling that they gona use the best features of each pkmn game, to finish this Generation with a BANG!

Cthuloops

Cthuloops said:

It's going to be interesting seeing a Totodile following me, much less a Feraligatr. :D

Crazed

Crazed said:

Finally! I thought this series was never going to get remade. To me, after playing all the games (except Platinum), I consider this series the best, so if anyone is considering jumping into the series, these are games to get.

That said, I still have to get Platinum, but I'll get these when they come out. Since my family had both Gold and Silver, I don't know what one I'll get. Hmmm....

Cutiey

Cutiey said:

so in 2010 we will be able to buy the english release of pokemon heart gold and soul silver?????

Altkey

Altkey said:

You can migrate six Pokemon at a time but don't have to wait 24 hours!

Jlkiller

Jlkiller said:

I know the date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'ts 4/4/10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!