Wii U Forum

Topic: Wii U - Worst System Name in History?

Showing 141 to 160 of 248

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

141. Posted:

The X-box should of been called War Machine

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

k8sMum

142. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

I agree--X-Box is still worse. It almost sounds like a parody of console titles. I'm not saying the X-Box is a bad system, but man is that a stupid name.

i don't know why, but the name 'X Box' never really bothered me. and it's nowhere near as bad as Wii and Wii U.

'Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt' Tolkien
'God is a kid with an antfarm.' "Constantine"
3ds friend code: 0860 3849 6133
Caitlin's Memorial Site

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

143. Posted:

We've got to make the best of it. Improvise. Adapt to our envionment. Darwin. $h!t happens. I Ching. Whatever, man. We got to roll with it.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

Retro_Gamer

144. Posted:

Xbox was pretty bad when it was first announced (and had a bad design to go with it imo). However I'd say the original Wii still takes the cake, the Wii U is just and addition to that so I don't think it's a big deal.

Currently Playing:
Zelda II: Adventure of Link

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

145. Posted:

I should start calling Xbox X-PAC.

Just for fun.

"Hey! I'm getting X-PAC 720!!!"

btw, it's pronounced ex-poc

Edited on by komicturtle

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

146. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

The X-box should of been called War Machine

If Microsoft used that song for advertising, they likely would have won the console wars already

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

mushroomer

147. Posted:

Well at least its not Pii U

mushroomer

AuthorMessage

mushroomer

148. Posted:

I think they should have 2 options. A new machine like the pictures we've been seeing, but also an option to add a BlueRay drive attachment that you can stack under the current wii to share the resources and include the U functionality. Then they could have 2 prices.
Wii = 149.99
Wii U = 249.99
U attachment = 99.99

Why not?

mushroomer

AuthorMessage

RogueBologna

149. Posted:

I think PlayStation is pretty dumb. In preschool when we had 'playstations' where we would play with blocks or color or something.

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7445-0519

AuthorMessage

JayArr

150. Posted:

Besides the awful sound of the name I seriously think the it could be damaging for sales.

Looking at the previews from E3 it obvious that Nintendo is trying to reach out to core gamers. Unfortunately, the Wii name has a stigma for being a kiddy waggle system amongst most of the crowd they are trying to win over. By clinging to the Wii name they are instantly turning off a big portion of gamers and no amount of blood or dark games is going to wipe off the stink of the shovelware polluted library that tried to cash in on the Wii craze. You have to revamp the name to revamp the image.

On the flip-side of the coin, I imagine Nintendo thinks by keeping the Wii name they are keeping the "light gamer" audience...... wrong. The name Wii-U doesn't suggest hot powerful new hardware. To the uneducated it suggest a make over. People could pass on it thinking they have Wii already sitting in their living room. Speaking of that Wii in their living room, it has been collecting dust for over year. "That bowling was fun for awhile but we don't even touch that thing anymore. Why do I need another one?" This isn't 2008 anymore. The Wii fad is over and most casual gamers are getting their game fix on their smartphones.

The title "Wii U" is just bad for business. I seriously hope they figure it out before the release.

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

AuthorMessage

RogueBologna

151. Posted:

JayArr wrote:

Besides the awful sound of the name I seriously think the it could be damaging for sales.

Looking at the previews from E3 it obvious that Nintendo is trying to reach out to core gamers. Unfortunately, the Wii name has a stigma for being a kiddy waggle system amongst most of the crowd they are trying to win over. By clinging to the Wii name they are instantly turning off a big portion of gamers and no amount of blood or dark games is going to wipe off the stink of the shovelware polluted library that tried to cash in on the Wii craze. You have to revamp the name to revamp the image.

On the flip-side of the coin, I imagine Nintendo thinks by keeping the Wii name they are keeping the "light gamer" audience...... wrong. The name Wii-U doesn't suggest hot powerful new hardware. To the uneducated it suggest a make over. People could pass on it thinking they have Wii already sitting in their living room. Speaking of that Wii in their living room, it has been collecting dust for over year. "That bowling was fun for awhile but we don't even touch that thing anymore. Why do I need another one?" This isn't 2008 anymore. The Wii fad is over and most casual gamers are getting their game fix on their smartphones.

The title "Wii U" is just bad for business. I seriously hope they figure it out before the release.

i agree, I've thought this since they announced it, but was too lazy to actually say it. Thanks for doing it for me.

Edited on by RogueBologna

AuthorMessage

Spoony

152. Posted:

I like the name. Booyah.

Nintendo Network ID: TheBigBee
3DS Friend Code: 3566-1618-9135

AuthorMessage

melechofsin

153. Posted:

Yeah, I like the name too. I think it acheives all purposes. First, it retains the Wii brand name. It'll be crazy to abandon it after 90 million sales. The main objective will be for people who bought the Wii to buy the new Wii and you want to retain the name. People who never bought a console also would have heard of the Wii and will go to the newest model, with HD. And those PS3/360 users aren't even the demographic here, but they will know this is Nintendo's console anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Secondly, Wii U retains the use of the pronouns which gives a sense of "together" but gives focus to the fact that you can keep doing what you want while your spouse/family does another thing on the TV.
Thirdly it is catchy, short, easy to remember. And fourthly, U basically rhymes with 2, and this IS the Wii 2. A Wii HD to upgrade (Pachter was seemingly right here), with a new tablet-controller that brings something all new to the table. Great all around.

melechofsin

AuthorMessage

Rawk_Hawk

154. Posted:

I always thought the FM Towns Marty was the worse name for a console. I'll stick by that one.

I can live with Wii U but "Wii HD" sounds better

"Practice hospitality. bless and do not curse." Romans 12:13-14

AuthorMessage

AirCop

155. Posted:

Nintendo 8th Generation Interactive Entertainment Video Display Device.

That will bring the cool kids to the store.

Afrancio wrote:

I always thought the FM Towns Marty was the worse name for a console. I'll stick by that one.

FM Towns Marty sounds like the name of a robot, that Doc Brown builds, to rescue Marty from the Jupitarians, in the straight-to-video release 'Back To The Future 6 - Invasion Of The Jupitarians... From Saturn'

Edited on by AirCop

AirCop

AuthorMessage

yoyogamer

156. Posted:

JayArr wrote:

Let us wait and see, shall we?

This is a signature.

AuthorMessage

pntjr

157. Posted:

If Nintendo tried to capture "Hardcore" (Cough- Stupid- Cough) gamers, they would have made it called the StreamTube or something. Nintendo disapoints me once again.

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter: pntjrx

AuthorMessage

NintyMan

158. Posted:

yoyogamer wrote:

Let us wait and see, shall we?

This. If it fails, then you all can have the right to complain.

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4663-7817 | Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage

GameLord08

159. Posted:

Let's face the bright side, they coulda named it the I Wii, U Wii, Wii Pii, Wii U Pii. Lol, but jokes apart, I'm comfortable with the system's name already. Don't tag me as crazy for saying this, but it actually sounds kinda techy.

Let us not judge a man by the colour of his skin, but by the character he chooses to battle with in Brawl.

Twitter: FaridaKYusuf

AuthorMessage

RogueBologna

160. Posted:

It reminds me of a siren. WIIIIIIUUUUU!