Forums

Topic: Wii U - Worst System Name in History?

Posts 141 to 160 of 229

melechofsin

Yeah, I like the name too. I think it acheives all purposes. First, it retains the Wii brand name. It'll be crazy to abandon it after 90 million sales. The main objective will be for people who bought the Wii to buy the new Wii and you want to retain the name. People who never bought a console also would have heard of the Wii and will go to the newest model, with HD. And those PS3/360 users aren't even the demographic here, but they will know this is Nintendo's console anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Secondly, Wii U retains the use of the pronouns which gives a sense of "together" but gives focus to the fact that you can keep doing what you want while your spouse/family does another thing on the TV.
Thirdly it is catchy, short, easy to remember. And fourthly, U basically rhymes with 2, and this IS the Wii 2. A Wii HD to upgrade (Pachter was seemingly right here), with a new tablet-controller that brings something all new to the table. Great all around.

melechofsin

blackknight77

I always thought the FM Towns Marty was the worse name for a console. I'll stick by that one.

I can live with Wii U but "Wii HD" sounds better

Reopen the Wii Shop Channel

AirCop

Nintendo 8th Generation Interactive Entertainment Video Display Device.

That will bring the cool kids to the store.

Afrancio wrote:

I always thought the FM Towns Marty was the worse name for a console. I'll stick by that one.

FM Towns Marty sounds like the name of a robot, that Doc Brown builds, to rescue Marty from the Jupitarians, in the straight-to-video release 'Back To The Future 6 - Invasion Of The Jupitarians... From Saturn'

Edited on by AirCop

AirCop

yoyogamer

JayArr wrote:

Besides the awful sound of the name I seriously think the it could be damaging for sales.

Looking at the previews from E3 it obvious that Nintendo is trying to reach out to core gamers. Unfortunately, the Wii name has a stigma for being a kiddy waggle system amongst most of the crowd they are trying to win over. By clinging to the Wii name they are instantly turning off a big portion of gamers and no amount of blood or dark games is going to wipe off the stink of the shovelware polluted library that tried to cash in on the Wii craze. You have to revamp the name to revamp the image.

On the flip-side of the coin, I imagine Nintendo thinks by keeping the Wii name they are keeping the "light gamer" audience...... wrong. The name Wii-U doesn't suggest hot powerful new hardware. To the uneducated it suggest a make over. People could pass on it thinking they have Wii already sitting in their living room. Speaking of that Wii in their living room, it has been collecting dust for over year. "That bowling was fun for awhile but we don't even touch that thing anymore. Why do I need another one?" This isn't 2008 anymore. The Wii fad is over and most casual gamers are getting their game fix on their smartphones.

The title "Wii U" is just bad for business. I seriously hope they figure it out before the release.

Let us wait and see, shall we?

This is a signature.

pntjr

If Nintendo tried to capture "Hardcore" (Cough- Stupid- Cough) gamers, they would have made it called the StreamTube or something. Nintendo disapoints me once again.

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter:

GameLord08

Let's face the bright side, they coulda named it the I Wii, U Wii, Wii Pii, Wii U Pii. Lol, but jokes apart, I'm comfortable with the system's name already. Don't tag me as crazy for saying this, but it actually sounds kinda techy.

GameLord08

D33G

I never thought it was all that bad. I actually LIKE it.

3DS FC: 1633-4209-9013
MK7 Communities: Race: 61-2419-4309-3787
Balloon: 52-9956-0588-5533
Coin: 30-4169-6281-0565

veganpunk

Wost. Name. Ever. I shall only refer to it as the Wuu.

veganpunk

LinktotheFuture

The name stinks...Wii U! I think the system will be awesome, and has tons of potential that only Nintendo could come up with. I don't like the name "Wii" either, but that didn't stop me from buying one.

The chickens are restless.
3DS Friend Code: 1547-5282-6926

rolLTheDice

In my opinion they should just have called it the Nintendo U. But maybe they were to afraid that all the "casuals" wouldn't get that i can still play Wii games.

PS: Does the recent logo kind of remind anyone else of a 3½-inch floppy disk ?

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

SullKid

JayArr wrote:

Besides the awful sound of the name I seriously think the it could be damaging for sales.

Looking at the previews from E3 it obvious that Nintendo is trying to reach out to core gamers. Unfortunately, the Wii name has a stigma for being a kiddy waggle system amongst most of the crowd they are trying to win over. By clinging to the Wii name they are instantly turning off a big portion of gamers and no amount of blood or dark games is going to wipe off the stink of the shovelware polluted library that tried to cash in on the Wii craze. You have to revamp the name to revamp the image.

On the flip-side of the coin, I imagine Nintendo thinks by keeping the Wii name they are keeping the "light gamer" audience...... wrong. The name Wii-U doesn't suggest hot powerful new hardware. To the uneducated it suggest a make over. People could pass on it thinking they have Wii already sitting in their living room. Speaking of that Wii in their living room, it has been collecting dust for over year. "That bowling was fun for awhile but we don't even touch that thing anymore. Why do I need another one?" This isn't 2008 anymore. The Wii fad is over and most casual gamers are getting their game fix on their smartphones.

The title "Wii U" is just bad for business. I seriously hope they figure it out before the release.

Damn that was a good post. I could not put it better.
I have to come here more often..

SullKid

default12345

Worst thread in history. See what I did there?

default12345

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

Wee-ooo Wee--ooo, hoo hoo wee-ooo

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

JTC-Pingas

I do not like the name either

JTC-Pingas

Negi444

right like Playstation 2, playstation 3, playstation portable, playstation portable go, nintendo gameboy advance, nintendo ds, nintendo 3ds, xbox, xbox 360 are really great names.

Negi444

pntjr

Negi444 wrote:

right like Playstation 2, playstation 3, playstation portable, playstation portable go, nintendo gameboy advance, nintendo ds, nintendo 3ds, xbox, xbox 360 are really great names.

They're all so much better than Wii U. That name disgusts me.

Edited on by pntjr

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter:

NewbieOrNah

you don't even know how to spell. it's DISGUSTS

NewbieOrNah

3DS Friend Code: 0318-8873-5118 | Nintendo Network ID: KingH3nrry

grumblebuzzz

It reminds me of, like, a college for Nintendo nerds. "Wii University" HA.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

19Robb92

Maybe. I hope the WiiU isn't the final name. The Wii was called Nintendo Revolution until like 2 months before it's release. So they might change the name. Nothing is ever certain with Nintendo.

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.