Forums

Topic: Wii U - Worst System Name in History?

Posts 161 to 180 of 229

BR4N

I believe " Wii 2.0" would sound better.

BR4N

pntjr

BR4N wrote:

I believe " Wii 2.0" would sound better.

ANYTHING would sound better than Wii U

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter:

Mandoble

Is the "U" meaning something actually? Ultra? Uber? Underpowered?

Mandoble

pntjr

Oddy wrote:

pntjr wrote:

KingH3nrry wrote:

you don't even know how to spell. it's DISGUSTS

That's what i said.

While @KingH3nrry's comment was rude and uncalled for, the edit note at the bottom of your post isn't doing you any favors.

Darn you NintendoLife!

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter:

Nintendoro

I hope the God ninty will change the name before release. Wii name was poor enough (should have stuck with revolution). It is not going to change my plans toward getting console, but it would be great idea to rename it while its possible

Nintendoro

Nintendoro

i still think that "N64" was worse that "Wii U" as a console name. I would have called next Wii console SNes 2 instead. Or at least Wii 2

Nintendoro

Squiggle55

I'm glad people are still talking about how bad the name is. People inevitably point out that "people didn't like the name Wii either. Look how that turned out." But I liked the name Wii just fine from the very beginning. It was a pun and it was lame, but I was fine with it. The point is this is a new console and a new generation and the choice of name is embarrassing and disappointing. The days of the pronoun puns are over. I think it's possibly lost in translation how stupid it is because they think it's hip to have puns that aren't in their native language. Please rename it something sleek and not embarrassing like Nintendo HD.

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. -Albert Einstein

Nintendoro

Nintendo should seriously reconsider consoles name. Many fans aren't happy about it. They should have offered us a list of possible names and once the votes are calculated, the winner name is announced. I bet noone would pick up Wii U

Nintendoro

Weskerb

It really is stupid. Wii like 'we' made sense because you played games together, but Wii U like 'we you' just sounds like random pronouns thrown together. I guess it's like Wii as in 'we' play together (like before) and U as in only 'you' have a controller with a touch screen, so it's like personal to 'you'. If that is the idea behind the name, it's retarded.

Edited on by Weskerb

Weskerb

Chrono_Cross

I don't know why everyone hates the name. Who cares what its called as long as it meets our expectations.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

TeeJay

Kid_Crono wrote:

I don't know why everyone hates the name. Who cares what its called as long as it meets our expectations.

Because it confuses the average consumer into thinking it's just a slightly upgraded Wii. That cuts sales, and therefore cuts the amount of games you get.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Chrono_Cross

TeeJay wrote:

Kid_Crono wrote:

Because it confuses the average consumer into thinking it's just a slightly upgraded Wii. That cuts sales, and therefore cuts the amount of games you get.

Wouldn't that be the same case with PlayStation 2 and 3, 3DS, GBA, and SNES? Yes why yes it would be.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Mandoble

TeeJay wrote:

You are probably wrong, the average Wii consumer is someone that doesnt know anything about consoles and or games, remember that big blue sea where Nintendo was "fishing". These would be happy upgrading to something that reminds their whilte microwave style Wii, hoping that they will have new balance boards in more fancy colors and shapes where they can keep wasting time with their personalized Miis playing to ridiculous minigames forever. Because THESE are the most representative Wii users, and Nintendo wants them to be also the most representative Wii U consumers, or is that someone believes them when said "OH, we are so sorry, but with the Wii U we really want to aproach again to the traditional gamers".

Mandoble

Ark

Wouldn't that be the same case with PlayStation 2 and 3, 3DS, GBA, and SNES? Yes why yes it would be.

Not really. Though not creative, a number tells the general audience that it is more than an incremental upgrade and that it is its own system. Having a word at the beginning/end could go either way, depending on how different it looks from its predecessor (Game Boy Advance). Adding a letter at the beginning or end implies it is an incremental upgrade or an add-on (see DSi, GBA SP, etc.). There are a lot of different factors depending on what system we're referring to, but both WiiU and 3DS work against Nintendo.

Anyway, I've already seen people that think it's just another controller/accessory like WiiMotion Plus or the Wii Balance Board. The fact that the console also uses Wii Remotes won't help shake that image. An uninformed person looking at a 3DS might assume it's just a DS with 3D capability due to the similar designs. They'll have to market them both very well, methinks.

Edited on by Ark

scrubbyscum999

Wii U's name is not only misleading but makes it just seem like a slight upgrade to the system. There is a reason why over time home console try to make the name significantly different from the last generation one. If Nintendo put it's name in every console and just stuck with one console name like "Xbox" or "Sony Playstation" this wouldn't matter. Nintendo does not do that though, ever since the N64 video games has gotten old enough where if you are not going to stick to one name, you have to keep changing it. What would it be if they called the Wii the Gamecube2? It does not seem like a new system, it seems like an upgrade.

The fact that the Wii's name was already extremely simplistic doesn't help either. If they want to attract gamers that aren't already on the Ninty boat like us they need to get away from the stigma of the Wii. Casual gamers will see it as just another upgrade. They already have smartphones and only play games at home every once in a while, why would they pay for a new system, let alone a system that seems like a simple upgrade.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445
Steam:scrubbyscum999

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445 | Twitter:

Blaze

Limelight_788 wrote:

I still think it's a bad name.

I agree. The name 1.Sounds Horrible 2.Will seem simply like a Wii upgrade, making so called 'Hardcore' Gamers thinking of this as a Wii upgrade which they hate and therefore will stay away. 3.Casual gamers will think, I don't need this, I have a Wii, as they will assume the Wii can do everything Wii U can.

TBH though, I think the Wii U is going to be an amazing system! :D I just think Nintendo have made a really stupid careless mistake with the name!!! :(

The Blazeloggery~
Mah Animelist~

3DS Friend Code: 4914-4746-2130 | Nintendo Network ID: MiracleBlaze

Shuokaimana

Is this stupid thread still going on? All right, let's look at history. Here are just a few of the more curious names that ever graced the video game world:

1976: Fairchild Channel F
1993: FM Towns Marty
1993: Mega Duck a.k.a. Cougar Boy
1999: WonderSwan
2010: GP2X Caanoo

I bought a Wonderswan just because of the wacky name, and I'm trying to decide whether I want a Caanoo or a Pandora. Because as crazy as the names may be the system is awesome. Pardon me for focusing on what's important.

Yup, I have one too: http://backloggery.com/shuokaimana

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.