Forums

Topic: Wii U - Worst System Name in History?

Posts 121 to 140 of 229

Knux

Just when I thought that the Wii was the worst console name ever...

Knux

skywake

Funky_Gamer wrote:

Because practically everyone hates Nintendo. I mean how many people (in person) do you know that have a 3DS compared to the # of people who have a PSP or a 360, or even a PS3 for that matter.

That's not really a fair comparison. The 3DS hasn't been out for very long at all.

but hey, I'll take your bait. I know of two other people who own a 3DS. I know of at least six who have said they want to get a 3DS for at least one of the games coming out this year (Paper Mario, Mario Kart, OoT 3D etc). I know of two people who have a PSP and one of those peoples I know wants a 3DS. I know of counts in head at least ten people who own a DS. Most of the people I know who I know own a 360 or PS3 also own a Wii and I know of more people who own a Wii but not a 360/PS3 than people who own a PS3/360 but not a Wii.

I really, really, highly doubt that most people hate Nintendo let alone everyone.

(edit) I am talking Australia here, it's different globally and in the US
Here the DS:PSP:3DS ratio is 45:10:1, Globally it's 50:23:1, in the US it's 55:22:1
i.e. in the US you'll see 22 PSPs and 55 DSes for every 1 3DS, in Australia it's 45 DSes and 10 PSPs.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

default12345

@topic

I think Wii U is the perfect name for Nintendo's next generation console.

Let's face it, Nintendo were never going to shrug off motion control after the success of the Wii. It only makes sense to continue and build upon that solid platform. So based on their decision the name was never going to venture far from Wii.

I don't think people realise just what this new home console is capable of. If I were Sony or Microsoft I'd be worried, producing just another console that is a few hundred times more powerful than the last will not be enough.

default12345

cheapogamer4life

i'd guess they struggled with either Wii U or Wii Me. I think they made the right decision.

Edit: oh sorry, "Wii Mii". lol

Edited on by cheapogamer4life

3DS Friend Code: 4339-2558-1701
http://passid.ca/N4Life
PSN id: cheapO4life
Xbox gamertag: cheapogamer

KingMike

No, X-Box is still one of the worst names.
Microsoft chose to name their amazing new 2000s console with something that sounded like it escaped from the '90s.

Second is probably GameCube.
"Guys, we don't think Dolphin is going to cut it in the marketplace, so we need a new name."
"well, it plays games and the console is a cube. ... GameCube?"
"Brilliant!"
At least with Wii, they were able to make it sound like they gave serious thought to the name.

KingMike

theblackdragon

at least they didn't just go with 'Wii 2'... in Japanese, that'd make it 'Wii Ni'.
haha, weenie

... hope no one's pointed that out yet D:

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

retired_account

theblackdragon wrote:

at least they didn't just go with 'Wii 2'... in Japanese, that'd make it 'Wii Ni'.
haha, weenie

It took 7 pages but this thread has finally reached hall of fame status.

retired_account

k8sMum

KingMike wrote:

No, X-Box is still one of the worst names.
Microsoft chose to name their amazing new 2000s console with something that sounded like it escaped from the '90s.

Second is probably GameCube.
"Guys, we don't think Dolphin is going to cut it in the marketplace, so we need a new name."
"well, it plays games and the console is a cube. ... GameCube?"
"Brilliant!"
At least with Wii, they were able to make it sound like they gave serious thought to the name.

at least the name 'gamecube' covered 2 things: it WAS shaped like a cube and it played GAMES. Wii U is just open to sooooo many bad puns. i still think the name 'Wii' is stupid. 'Wii U' just adds the fun dimension of seeing how abused it will be.

Edited on by k8sMum

Switch friend code: SW-2516-0773-8992
Dream Addy: DA-3238-0526-8917

komicturtle

That's tbd for ya

@Kingmike

Ah, Xbox. I remember about a month or two before Christmas of 2001, my cousin was excited and ran into my room saying "I'm getting a Gamecube and Xbox for christmas".

However, I didn't know that he actually said Xbox. I thought he said X-Pac.

The wrestler who used to be.. well, in WWF (now WWE). So, my reaction was "You're getting.. X-pac? For christmas? Uhm... Okay? A poster of him?" lololol I still laugh at it to this day. I imagined a cut-out cardboard picture of him. Yeh, that's something to get excited about when you're an a 9 year-old boy..

Edited on by komicturtle

komicturtle

theblackdragon

pixelman wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

haha, weenie

It took 7 pages but this thread has finally reached hall of fame status.

pff, slackers — why do I have to do everything around here? >:3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Kid_A

I agree--X-Box is still worse. It almost sounds like a parody of console titles. I'm not saying the X-Box is a bad system, but man is that a stupid name.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

k8sMum

Kid_A wrote:

I agree--X-Box is still worse. It almost sounds like a parody of console titles. I'm not saying the X-Box is a bad system, but man is that a stupid name.

i don't know why, but the name 'X Box' never really bothered me. and it's nowhere near as bad as Wii and Wii U.

Switch friend code: SW-2516-0773-8992
Dream Addy: DA-3238-0526-8917

Gamesake

We've got to make the best of it. Improvise. Adapt to our envionment. Darwin. $h!t happens. I Ching. Whatever, man. We got to roll with it.

...in my pants.

Retro_Gamer

Xbox was pretty bad when it was first announced (and had a bad design to go with it imo). However I'd say the original Wii still takes the cake, the Wii U is just and addition to that so I don't think it's a big deal.

Currently Playing:
Zelda II: Adventure of Link

komicturtle

I should start calling Xbox X-PAC.

Just for fun.

"Hey! I'm getting X-PAC 720!!!"

btw, it's pronounced ex-poc

Edited on by komicturtle

komicturtle

kkslider5552000

WaveBoy wrote:

The X-box should of been called War Machine

If Microsoft used that song for advertising, they likely would have won the console wars already

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

mushroomer

Well at least its not Pii U

mushroomer

mushroomer

I think they should have 2 options. A new machine like the pictures we've been seeing, but also an option to add a BlueRay drive attachment that you can stack under the current wii to share the resources and include the U functionality. Then they could have 2 prices.
Wii = 149.99
Wii U = 249.99
U attachment = 99.99

Why not?

mushroomer

JayArr

Besides the awful sound of the name I seriously think the it could be damaging for sales.

Looking at the previews from E3 it obvious that Nintendo is trying to reach out to core gamers. Unfortunately, the Wii name has a stigma for being a kiddy waggle system amongst most of the crowd they are trying to win over. By clinging to the Wii name they are instantly turning off a big portion of gamers and no amount of blood or dark games is going to wipe off the stink of the shovelware polluted library that tried to cash in on the Wii craze. You have to revamp the name to revamp the image.

On the flip-side of the coin, I imagine Nintendo thinks by keeping the Wii name they are keeping the "light gamer" audience...... wrong. The name Wii-U doesn't suggest hot powerful new hardware. To the uneducated it suggest a make over. People could pass on it thinking they have Wii already sitting in their living room. Speaking of that Wii in their living room, it has been collecting dust for over year. "That bowling was fun for awhile but we don't even touch that thing anymore. Why do I need another one?" This isn't 2008 anymore. The Wii fad is over and most casual gamers are getting their game fix on their smartphones.

The title "Wii U" is just bad for business. I seriously hope they figure it out before the release.

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

Lionsshare

I like the name. Booyah.

Lionsshare

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.