Forums

Topic: Wii U Gathering Dust Already....

Posts 181 to 200 of 202

rallydefault

kkslider5552000 wrote:

if you played a retro styled beat-em-up by yourself, you're doing it wrong by default

Truth. Scott Pilgrim rocked. But only if you played with friends and maxed out your character.

rallydefault

Chrono_Cross

CanisWolfred wrote:

You still haven't explained how it's average.

Enemy variety wasn't very special and the combat got old fast. It felt like I was mashing one button since that was the only effective way to progress. The environments were also unappealing. Teenage Mutant Turtles IV had better environments than this let alone the bosses, which were dreadful in Scott Pilgrim.

The multiplayer isn't fun when the game isn't fun. It has no charm nor provides any reason to continue. The storyline isn't very appealing even though most beat 'em ups lack that certain aspect on purpose. But if it had a good storyline, maybe I would've pulled through the game and avoided the repetitive combat, dull environments, so-so music, forgettable bosses and everything else that makes this game less.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

kkslider5552000

CactusJackson wrote:

so-so music

ok, now I know you're lying since the only thing I know about the game beyond one level I saw on youtube is that the soundtrack is AWESOME.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Chrono_Cross

kkslider5552000 wrote:

CactusJackson wrote:

so-so music

ok, now I know you're lying since the only thing I know about the game beyond one level I saw on youtube is that the soundtrack is AWESOME.

Obviously we have different opinions.

Just for you.

Arminillo

CactusJackson wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

You still haven't explained how it's average.

Enemy variety wasn't very special and the combat got old fast. It felt like I was mashing one button since that was the only effective way to progress. The environments were also unappealing. Teenage Mutant Turtles IV had better environments than this let alone the bosses, which were dreadful in Scott Pilgrim.

The multiplayer isn't fun when the game isn't fun. It has no charm nor provides any reason to continue. The storyline isn't very appealing even though most beat 'em ups lack that certain aspect on purpose. But if it had a good storyline, maybe I would've pulled through the game and avoided the repetitive combat, dull environments, so-so music, forgettable bosses and everything else that makes this game less.

Wait a second, we arent talking about streets of rage?

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

CanisWolfred

@CactusJackson

I don't agree with a single word you just said, but experience has taught me that that is when it is best to agree to disagree. I will say this though: Beat 'em ups are very repetitive by nature. That's why they're always, always, ALWAYS better with friends. There's only one or two exceptions out there from what I've played, and I've played quite a few. I didn't like Scott Pilgrim at first either, nor did I like Streets of Rage, Final Fight, or River City Ransom. Then I played them with other people. Now I enjoy them all, especially Scott Pilgrim.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

TysonOfTime

Well, regarding Scott Pilgrim, I played it with my friend. At first we were both having a blast, but slowly all the charm from the sprites and music started to wear off.

Now, I'm not a big beat'em up guy, and we didn't get to play the through the whole game, but I personally enjoyed it a lot less than other games of the genre I've played. But something about how the game itself played made us both walk away (even though he has a huge affinity for SP) feeling at least a little disappointed.

I'd pick it up if came to the Wii U, if only to attempt it again...

You don't die until you're dead!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

Chrono_Cross

CanisWolfred wrote:

@CactusJackson

I don't agree with a single word you just said, but experience has taught me that that is when it is best to agree to disagree. I will say this though: Beat 'em ups are very repetitive by nature. That's why they're always, always, ALWAYS better with friends. There's only one or two exceptions out there from what I've played, and I've played quite a few. I didn't like Scott Pilgrim at first either, nor did I like Streets of Rage, Final Fight, or River City Ransom. Then I played them with other people. Now I enjoy them all, especially Scott Pilgrim.

If it was a good game to me, I'd have no problem playing it by myself. TMNT IV, Castle Crashers, Streets of Rage, Final Fight, you name it, I thoroughly enjoyed them. Hell, I even enjoyed Midway's Narc more than Pilgrim even though you use guns. Still plays like a beat 'em up, all in all.

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

You're off my favorite users list!

But, but, but! I still luh you.

Just for you.

madgear

As someone who loves side scrolling beat-em-ups (my user name and avatar should be a clue), I can't say I'm a huge fan of Scott Pilgrim. It does look nice graphically, but the problem is the repetivity of the unnecessarily long stages. I played it in multiplayer and the first stage alone took us ages to complete. It felt like an hour but, I'm guessing, it probably took more around 20 minutes in reality. Either way, it felt like a long time.

There's not much fun in defeating the enemies either. It's just a case of punching and kicking them until they fall down. In Streets of Rage and Final Fight you can grab your opponents to do greater damage then throw them into other enemies / slam them into the ground. Scott Pilgrim is just punch a bunch of guys and then move on slightly on a never ending stage.

I'd say the game would be good (as it looks nice visually) if they drastically shortened the stages and allowed you to defeat the enemies faster. It's too long and too slow. Side scrollers should be beatable in a single sitting with about an hour of TOTAL play time. Any more is just too long. I don't fancy going through stage 1 of that game again, never mind the full thing. It's a shame as the look of it is great.

madgear

CanisWolfred

What? You can grab enemies in Scott Pilgrim, too. And it makes it much faster, too. There are also tons of weapons and upgrades that make it faster, too, as well as shortcuts. Are we even playing the same game?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

What? You can grab enemies in Scott Pilgrim, too. And it makes it much faster, too. There are also tons of weapons and upgrades that make it faster, too, as well as shortcuts. Are we even playing the same game?

maybe they're just playing the new Double Dragon and just thought it was Scott Pilgrim.

Which would actually bring up more questions than answers already.

Svengoolie

I was disappointed with the Scott Pilgrim game simply because the movie is so damn awesome, and is largely based on games, that it should have the greatest game ever! Instead it's just a retro throwback to Streets of Rage. There's just so much more they could have done with it.

Svengoolie

SCRAPPER392

The stages were long in Scott Pilgrim. The bosses pretty much took as much hits to defeat as the regular repetitive goons, so I agree with SOME thought lacking. It wasn't completely horrible, but it was more of a 'joke' beat 'em up game, unlike the other more 'serious' ones. Scott Pilgrim is like Scar Face saying, 'Say hello to my little friend!', and his pants fall down in comedy relief vs. Scar Face actually f***ing s*** up.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Void

This last page of posts had had nothing to do with the original post/topic.

I used to travel the stars, then I discovered Earth, and these incredibly addicting things called 'Video Games.'
And they said you couldn't buy happiness!

SCRAPPER392

Void wrote:

This last page of posts had had nothing to do with the original post/topic.

Oh ya... Swiffer works for dust FYI. $8 for one I think... I'm actually pretty short on games specifically for Wii U now, too, but I use it for Sonic Racing, Mario Kart, Nintendo Land, COD BO 2 occasionally, Smash Bros Brawl, VC games, Wii Ware games, Mario Galaxy, Pikmin, internet... I mainly play the multiplayer games with my family, but there's tons of games dating back to NES to play, so mine doesn't get dust except for the occasional group of dusts. Haha.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

MAB

Maybe we should argue about humanity... oh yeah! that has already been done well I guess this thread is useless now.

MAB

TysonOfTime

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Maybe we should argue about humanity... oh yeah! that has already been done well I guess this thread is useless now.

I dunno... has Godwin's law taken effect yet?

You don't die until you're dead!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

MAB

TysonOfTime wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Scotty Pilgim only knows

MAB

kkslider5552000

TysonOfTime wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

a few pages ago...

kkslider5552000 wrote:

skywake wrote:

History is written by the victorious. Anyway, ideology is the fire but greed is always a big motivator. Hitler

ok we've pulled a Godwin's Law, by default this off topic nonsense is over. Back to thread people.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.